Sub-4 Marathon goal

41 to 47 of 47 messages
23/11/2012 at 00:12
I'm still here, and had the post / reminder email thing on luckily.

Great news Teknik! Happy for you. And mace for milkshake addiction. still have them myself.

Since your post last year, I went sub 3:30 in one go, 3:29 at Edinburgh so first marathon, 3:48, second 21 mins off. First ultra this year too, and PBs at every other distance.

I still do my 30-35 miles, although I did stop playing football, and horse riding. Something had to give.

Last weekends race was a sub 1:30 half, 6 mins off. Next stop sub 3:15 VLM hopefully.

Teknik, Have you got a race booked, or just planning for next year?
23/11/2012 at 00:33
Hi FRC that's really great progress! I'm looking at 3.3x for the Spring (Hamburg, probably) and en route a 1.37 half (local)... I think the high mileage HR training works for me - plus yoga once a week.

Thanks again for your advice...
23/11/2012 at 01:04
Anytime! We are all different, some need high miles, some do less.
I do cross train as well, Speed/ Strength training has helped my legs build up.

Also knocked 4.5 mins off 10k time too in a year, 10 mins off half in 18 months.

Where are you on the half target PB now, and 10k?

My Missus does hot yoga, keeps trying to get me going. Hmmm.
23/11/2012 at 07:03

Yup I'd recommend hot yoga too - the "hot" bit makes it feel like a work-out!  Made a big difference to my balance/ stability...

I didn't do much shorter racing, but I did PB at 5k, did my first 10k only a few secs per mile slower than the 5k, breaking 44m, and that HM target is 6 mins off my PB from 3 years ago...

23/11/2012 at 09:14
Had you thought of going for the RW Forum 6 competition?

Circuits and S&C work core too.

Lots of shorter racing for me 4-6 miles has moved things along a few notches so longer half & marathon paces are well inside range now. Worth remembering in the future.
23/11/2012 at 10:01

FRC yeah, I think I'll put some 10k races in this time around - I'm still basing the schedule "broadly" around P&D, and they have a few shorter races the day before the LSR to get you used to the "running on tired legs" thing.

I had toyed with the ideas of doing "Insanity" circuits...but then again I need to find the time / enthusiasm...

Forum 6? Couldn't take the pressure... 

23/11/2012 at 10:29

hey circuits work, 30-40 second intervals, lots of them.., improve your VO2max. cant go faster unless you build your legs up.

I usually do one on a Saturday then club intervals about 45 minutes later. If you can do intervals on tired legs then .... Hadn't noticed the P&D race before an LSR, interesting.

Bet you could do Forum 6.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.