Sub 50 10 Miles/Elite Racing

101 to 118 of 118 messages
26/10/2006 at 21:48
Jason - Out of interest, and though people will vary, how far does your own statistics correspond to that of what BrynR found on the beggining page of this topic when using McMillan?

27/10/2006 at 20:53
after reading this weeks edition of Athletics Weekly i noticed a section devoted to emphasising the importance of doing leg weight exercises such as squats, lunges, cleans etc. to build leg strength throughout the winter

as many of the better runners on the site appear to post in this section i was wondering what everyone elses views on this issue are and what exercises (if any) they do themselves. personally, i make the odd appearance at circuit training but dnt do any gym work, as im looking for any small way to improve my performance, i was wondering if this type of gym work would be of any great benefit?
27/10/2006 at 22:16
stuart if you put my 10k pb in it comes close to my pbs on the shorter stuff. 1500 to 10k. but above that im faster than it says
28/10/2006 at 02:07
Much in light of this thread I'm debating doing the Stortford 10 mile race later next month in Hertfordshire, England. I'd personally be aiming for at least a 55 minute time, though it would be my first 10 mile only race that I've participated in, so a result near that would be a learning curve for future efforts regardless.

En-route to my HM a few months back, 10 miles was passed in 57:30, but going somewhere in between my last 10k time, my view of current fitness (being that I feel it's better), I still think 55 or maybe better is achievable.
29/10/2006 at 09:55
Stuart- run Stortford, it's a good race, but don't expect to run a fast time.

It's a very windy hilly route, MikeB ran a 54 minutes (I think) at Sidcup in awful weather from what I remember not that long after running 56 at Stortford in perfect weather.

My hometown though and a nice course but not a fast one.

Jason- nice to see you on here rather than letsrun!
29/10/2006 at 12:37
I'm giving thought to that one now actually. Saw the winner ran a 53 last year, which reflects a good enough field to be in, but I need to concentrate on the shorter stuff in general, and I'm not sure it's worth going down for, due to the organisation needed.
29/10/2006 at 17:31
Bear in mind last year was the British Masters Champs somewhat boosting the field. 2 years before I won, off the back off a 10 mile training run immediately before the race in high 55s I think (the race time, - did 70 for the 10 before!)

Sidcup in early Feb is a fast course - you may well be out on your own, but it's an urban 3 lapper with a short sharp climb and much longer descent each lap. Suits me.
19/11/2006 at 15:03
hows everyone training and racin atm? would be good to see what the better runners on here are up to atm, holla back, personally, im knackerd atm, had a shitter at the hampshire league last week (finished 27th) and ran an atrocious 10miler in 58:20 2day havin done 54:13 at the Great South (it was the first time in 6 days that id left my bed though so that could partly explain it, ohh well :(
26/01/2007 at 13:04
How come this ones all quiet. Just out of a matter of interest, I've only ever done one 10 miler, the Llandudno on 2005 and had a disaster, ran with Flu stupidly and nearly died lol... anyhow, that's not going anymore... and up in the North West (Chester area) just wondering whether there's any fast 10 milers around... fancy getting in a decent time before may 27th and my Edinburgh Mara assault...

Pug
27/01/2007 at 18:39
I've now read through this thread completly with all articles, one of the best threads I've seen, cheers for starting it Bryn. Alot of very very useful information in here me thinks...

Pug
18/04/2007 at 16:03
suppppppp whats happened to all the 10mile runners on here?! everyone doing the marathon or something?

i havent raced a 10miler since the week before the UK inter countys XC, i did 55:39 on a hilly, sh1tty village course in a training week of 60miles (a lot for me!)...rescently iv been doin lots of 10kms in the 33:30 region (not very good) but am always on the look out for descent 10miler if anyones got any suggestions of races cumin up? happy runnings all
18/04/2007 at 16:37
I don't know what i'm doing here but am reading with interest and am way slower (i know) I've only ever done one 10 miler In 1989 (previous running life)

But my winter plans will be for a 10 miler i believe Llandudno in Feb, which i'm told is ideal for pbs, hopefully quicker than my previous one, so i hope this thread won't disappear because i will need all the advice i can get
18/04/2007 at 17:55
well, pammie, uv got an awful long time to prepare! your probably best off spendin some time re-building your aerobic fitness, then hitin some 5km and 10km races cos a 10mile race is a long way if your not used to runnin! arent there any intermediate races your thinkin off targetin?
18/04/2007 at 19:04
McTag thanks yep long time to prepare, the plan is races of no more than 10km this year, taking me up to the Southend 10km (and pray for a calm day)

So am doing a lot of 5kms this year or will try to

Oh reading my post again looks like i'm just returning, but have been back running since June 2003 just not done another 10 miler since. Have done most distances including a marathon (Dublin) but have lost a little fitness since but its slowly coming back now

I'm hoping as well to do as many LFOTM 5kms in Hyde park as i can
19/04/2007 at 14:23
I've got a 10 Miler in Wrexham on the 28th April.. blimey only 9 days away.

Anyhow, going out for 57:30 me thinks... only ever raced once before at this distance so it's a bit difficult to know what pace to set out at. I've done a 28:06 5 miler... 4 weeks ago... and coming to the end of my Edinburgh Marathon training... it's going to be interesting to see what I can do.

Pug
28/04/2007 at 16:17
Pug.

Hope the race went well.

Stump    pirate
01/05/2007 at 13:28
Pug, how'd it go?
01/05/2007 at 16:57
Ouch is all I can say hahaha, it was a scortcher, and didn't taper, raced really well and took some really good scalps, but time was only 59:29, died as my little bald bonce cooked in the heat :-) Still, happy I did it, but it'll teach me to run 13.11 miles in 1:28 48 hours before and a quick 11 miler 16 hours before with a last mile in 5:54 hahaha...

happy enough though... and I'll give it another crack at some point later in the year ;-)

Pug

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 118 of 118 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.