Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

1,061 to 1,065 of 1,065 messages
Today at 13:20

Thanks both, that is very useful. Well, I'm planning a parkrun on Saturday so I'll wear the HRM then and see what it says!

Anyone else racing/parkrunning this weekend? Typically the forecast for here is basically dry all weekend except for some light snow at, you've guessed it, 6-9am on Saturday!

acp
Today at 13:41

AndrewD - I use a mixture of heart rate and paces. Mainly heart rate to make sure I don't go too fast and paces for the speedier stuff. That 220-age wouldn't work for me. When I did the proper test my max came out at 192 but the age calculation would give me a max of 177, so quite a big difference! 

I will be jogging round parkrun with my daughter as I have 15 miles planned for Sunday.

Nicole - it sounds as if you need to give your body a proper break! Lurching from one injury to another will mean you never reach your full potential. One of the things that will give you most improvement is consistent training and your body doesn't seem to want  to let you do that! Also, are you still aiming for a sub-4hr marathon? If you are, then that 18 miler you ran seemed to be too fast for a 9 minute mile marathon pace. Or at least it was at the very fast end of the pace range you should be running it at. I think you need to slow down!

Today at 14:56

Hi. Have been following for some weeks, as the 50/1:50 are where I'm trying to get back to. (49:35 three years ago, and 1:50:29 three and a half years ago, on a hilly run)

I know that three years is well in the past, but coming back after almost two years with Atrial Flutter, I'm enjoying pushing myself again. Have done a training Half in 1:59, and a 10k race on Boxing Day in 53:04.

The other reason for dropping in is that I have just done a max. h.r. test. Never found a well defined test, but remembered something about running 2x400. So, on the track I ran the first 400 at about 90/95% effort, then part-recovered in 2mins before running the second 400 at 100%. This gave my max. h.r. 162. Then at last week's parkrun I ran a fast, even pace with a 100% push in the last 200m and this gave my max. h.r. (at the finish) 163.

Hope that is of some help.

Today at 14:58

p.s. Should have said that at age 70 my max by 'standard formula' would be 150.

Today at 15:28

That's me playing the age card done for then!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,061 to 1,065 of 1,065 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.