Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

1,181 to 1,198 of 1,198 messages
27/02/2015 at 15:26

yup, only 7 weeks till manchester on sunday!

27/02/2015 at 15:50

Hi Rich,  all going well thanks. Recovery week this week - 44 miles. Have shaken off the hip niggle I had - must have been due to the track running. Did a similar session to next weeks tempo a couple of weeks ago - 10 miles with 6 @ 7:57 (my 15k pace). It's a tough one but feel really good once its done and makes the runs at marathon pace seem easy. 

I'm finding the P&D working really well for me. It is quite high mileage (I'm doing the long runs from the 55-70 miles scedule) but I'm lucky that I recover quickly. The recovery runs built into the schedule really seem to work for me also. Did a 20 miler in 2:57 two weeks ago - very comfortable. I think I'm going to be in a tricky position of deciding whether to secure what could be a nailed on sub4 (and I know only too well nothing is certain) or go for a more ambitious time that my training indicates I am capable of. Feel now that I would be delighted with sub 4 but afterwards might just think of what could have been. Have really upped my game nutrition wise also especially pre long run and that has helped a lot.

What are your thoughts re Minchinhampton? 

27/02/2015 at 16:18

Sounds like it's all going well there Bob, however tough call on race strategy. Still a little while to work it out. I'd be tempted to get the sub 4 in the bag though and feel great being able to finish strong!

Minch 10k... my training has been inconsistant (total miles run in the last 6 weeks have been 20,16,2,9,18,11 with another 11 so far this week. That said, when I do train I seem to be getting ok results, and the big 5k pb was a pleasant surprise. I've been intentionally attacking any hills I come across to try and help with the hill at half way. I think I'm going to try and attempt the first half in 23:xx minutes allowing for the down hill and aim to finish in 48:00 (leaving a bit of a buffer for the sub 50) 

Any thoughts on a target or will it depend on how hard you push the 20 the week before?

Edited: 27/02/2015 at 16:19
27/02/2015 at 16:53

Difficult to say really Rich. Was going to say my training hasnt really been geared up for a 10k but then when I think about it with the tempo work I described and the intervals I started this week (8 miles with 5x800m @ 5k pace) it probably has. I dont think I'll be pushing too hard next week but just getting round will probably take quite a bit out of me. Depends more on how I can juggle the training that week to hopefully leave Fri/Sat free for a mini recovery. Hopefully I will definitely be in a position to join you in an assault and considering the downhill 23:xx sounds manageable. Could all come down to the length and steepness of that hill - but yeah we'll give it a go! Have you had anything from them yet?

27/02/2015 at 16:58

nothing as yet, it's not a collect on the day job though is it?

27/02/2015 at 18:20
Nice to hear you're all doing well - take care with the back Rich!

I'm still 'off piste' with the official training plan whilst I try to strengthen up my ankle and make the adjustments I need to.

This week I tried to compensate for the reduced mileage/frequency by making the runs I did a bit tougher. Mon I just ran 10k at a challenging pace, which came out about 8m30/mile. Wed I did similar distance but returned to the running club and the route was pretty tough and hilly - pace slower but similar effort! Rest yesterday and today and then tomorrow is the long run. Last week I managed12. If I'm to get 2 x 20milers in before Manchester then the first of these should be tomorrow. But I'm going to be guided by the ankle. Will aim for at least 16 but more if I feel I can. Fingers crossed!! I feel like all this stuff is really working but at the moment have no idea what time I'll be able to get on the big day. I have Vitality North London Half in just over 2 weeks so that should give me a better idea.

Good luck this weekend everyone!
27/02/2015 at 18:49

Not sure. They just said they would send another e-mail nearer the race date with further details. Expect we'll get something next week.

27/02/2015 at 19:01

Sorry Nicole, didnt realise you'd posted in between. Good to hear you are still progressing. Dont think I'd worry too much about the 20 at the moment if I were you. You may feel ok at 16 and even after 20 but you dont know what affect it will have on you come Monday or Tuesday. 12 miles to 20 is a big jump in one week and wouldnt be recommended even without all the problems you have had. Just my thoughts but I really wouldnt like to see you laid up again as that would probably mean forgetting Manchester. Why not settle for 15/16 and see how you react? Still plenty of time to get it closer to 20 if you feel you need to.

Don't  you just hate it when people like me give their negative opinions on what you've got planned? I do! Only thinking of your long term prospects though. 

27/02/2015 at 19:18
Haha no thanks for the thoughts Bob! I'm in two minds about it all at the moment. I definitely won't do anything to put my recovery at risk, but my heart is still set on getting a decent time at Manchester. I seriously doubt I'll be looking at the 3:54ish I'd need to BQ but my heart still set on the sub 4 - or at least an improvement on VLM. Whether it's possible now I just don't know - but I'm just keen to make best use of the limited time before taper. But 16 tomorrow would still be great- and I should still be able to get in at least 1 x 20, as well as the HM race, which will be very important. After Valencia I know I've got it in me to push out the marathon whatever happens - but I don't want to go that way again!
27/02/2015 at 19:39

Fingers and toes crossed for you Nicole... you clearly have the determination in abundance so I know you will achieve your goals. We will have to ask runnersworld mods to rename the thread soon enough when we've all hit those magic numbers!

27/02/2015 at 20:10
Thanks Rich! Yes lovely idea - would be amazing if 2015 was a great year for all of us to achieve those targets! We're well on the way already
28/02/2015 at 16:37
The long run went well this morning, in the end managed 16 miles at avg 9m34 pace. A bit grey, wet and windy! Was a bit disappointed I couldn't do the 20 as I felt up for it other than with the ankle, which was becoming more painful (I've been advised not to run if pain over a 3/10 or if it becomes sharp, rather than a dull ache). But still, good progress from the 12 last week and I know it was the right choice to stop- I don't want to go back to square 1.

As the training plan has gone out the window now, I'd appreciate people's thoughts on how I should plan the remaining long runs before taper?
Below is what I 'should' be doing before taper:
Next weekend (week 10): 18 miles with 14 at marathon pace (8m45/mile)
Week 11: Vitality North London Half
Week 12: 17 miles
Week 13: 20 miles
I think the big question is over next week's long run. Should I a) do this tough paced session b) do a lesser version of it (eg 18 with 6-8 at MP),c) have a crack at the 20 so I can get in 2 x 20 milers? d) just go for 18 at similar pace to today?

All bearing in mind my rehab situation but also the fact I want to still get a good time at Manchester if possible!

Thanks guys - hope everyone's weekend runs went/will go well
28/02/2015 at 17:36

If it were me Nicole I'd do next weekend the same as today (assuming you have no reaction tomorrow or Monday) and if necessary stop at 16 again. Then I would do the Half Marathon at marathon race pace and see how your ankle stands up to that and then think about weeks 12/13. 

What do the rest of you think?

28/02/2015 at 17:50

Hi all, seems like everyone is getting through some good training/injury recovery.

Got through 33k last week, but due to various things this week will only get through 23k this week. Some weeks in the 30s during March before the Braintree 5 mile at the end of the month.

Will be using the club 5 mile time trial on Wednesday mile as a long tempo session to hopefully give me an idea of a possible target pace for Braintree.

Yesterday at 20:50
New 10km PB! Cambuslang Down by the River this morning - 48.12 - in absolutely howling conditions. Collected numbers and drove the 1.5 miles to the start. Debated getting out the car. Splits 4.42/4.50/4.51/4.38/4.58/4.54/4.57/4.52/4.56/4.33.

Nicole - Glad things going well. Your 12 miler was quite swift.

Alloa HM in 2 weeks.
Yesterday at 21:20
I still think Nicole is running her long run too quick.

If your half best is still 1:50, like mine, I'm doing 10:00/mi for my long run. That's about 70s/mi slower than MP. Especially if you're hurting.

I ran the Berkhamsted half today. Target was to run at marathon intensity, with the uphill and downhill that averaged 8:40, which I'm happy with. I've already got my sub 1:50 and think Incould have done that today but don't want to jeopardise my marathon training.
Today at 11:40

Got the dreaded 11 miles with 7 @ 15k pace done! Wasn't too bad but glad I've completed all the lactate threshold runs now. Splits for the 7 miles of tempo were 7:50 7:52 7:53 7:51 7:57 7:57 7:57.               

Well done Nicky Bear, that's a cracking time. It must be very difficult training and racing in the conditions you are invariably subjected to north of the border. I hate running in the wind but what we get down here, you would probably call a gentle breeze!

Today at 18:32

Getting confused about training, but feeling better than last week...did 11.2mile lsr Saturday at 9.15m/m, had considered doing 14miles to get over the HM distance but I think reigning it back and making last week a lower intensity helped as I feel much fresher now after last Mondays melt down!

I'm doing a flat 20k this Saturday ahead of Reading Half in 3weeks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,181 to 1,198 of 1,198 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.