Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

1,861 to 1,877 of 1,877 messages
21/07/2015 at 17:17
Tim that's cheating mind you it's a good idea I need to find a distance not on the leader board I think that's the only way I'll get one of the top slots ????

Well done on the 18+ miles I've not pushed myself past 17 yet although I do plan to attempt a full marathon next year
26/07/2015 at 13:10

Well, did a '5k' Colour Fun Run this morning in the pouring rain. Not really my sort of thing to be honest, but I was asked to do it with friends and the money does go to a good cause I suppose.

It was actually about 4k long (measured 2.55 miles on my Garmin) and I went round in 18.18. Bit slower than I might of hoped, but they set us off in waves based on race number rather than time, so I spent the first half mile dodging round slow runners (and even people walking from the start!) and had to do the same when lapping people in second lap so I think that probably cost me a good 30 seconds.

26/07/2015 at 18:31
It's not supposed to be a race is it? Thought it was a jog/fun music festival on the move type thing?

Been quite active this weekend. 7miles easy Friday night, another sub 24:00 parkrun and 14 easy but wet miles this morning.
26/07/2015 at 18:38

It is, and I wasn't planning to take it too seriously, but I just think they could have made it logistically easier for everyone by having the slow runners and walkers start at the back rather than throughout the field! Quite why someone who only wants to walk the whole thing does a fun run rather than one of these organised charity walks (Moon Walks etc) in the first place is beyond me though!

27/07/2015 at 13:08

I'm assuming that there are no table updates needed this week, but let me know if I am wrong!

30/07/2015 at 16:14

No races for me at the moment only 2 weeks before nice long holiday . No plans to run while I am away but I will take my shoes with me.

I am mixing up running and strength work at the moment, found it hard to do a good gym session and keep up with the running without feeling totally worn out as it meant doing 6 days a week, so have been experimenting with my work outs and found that a nice easy 3-4 mile run before some strength work is a great warm up and enables me to still have 2 or 3 days rest each week.

Knocked out a very good 10K training session last night was supposed to be 1 mile warm up 3 miles at 5k-ish pace then 1 mile cool down, but after 4 mile I still felt strong so kept going and did 48:33 which was great from me and a PB.

03/08/2015 at 09:05

Did the Brecon 10 mile yesterday.  It was out and back with a 3 mile loop at 4 miles.  First three miles were more or less downhill, which obviously meant last three were going to be testing. Knew I'd have to go off quite quickly to take advantage of the downhill and averaged 7:35 for first 3 miles. Settled then to 7:50-8.10 for the loopy section knowing what was to come. Hit 6 miles in 47.00 so probably went close to a 10k PB.  At 7 the climbing started. Felt strong during 7 and 8 (8:00 and 8:13 respectively). Mile 9 had two very steep, shorter hills which really damage the pace (8:34). Recovered well from that to do a 7:40 last mile and stopped the watch at 79:52. Still waiting on official results but very pleased to break 80 minutes as it was one of my 2015 targets set last December. In fact there is only one to do now and that is a 22:30 5k. May well miss out on that as marathon training isnt really conducive to 5k assaults!

Will confirm official time for chart purposes once they are in.

03/08/2015 at 10:00
Well done Stephen, that's a great time! Yes I know what you mean about getting a good balance between running/strength work and recovery. When I was training for London marathon last year I ended up running x 4 a week and doing strength work on 2 or 3 of the same days, giving me 3 complete rest days. This worked really well for me. These days I have such a long list of strength/rehab exercises to fit in,I'm just doing them throughout the day when I get a chance, rather than one full on session - again, this seems to work well

Bob,absolutely brilliant! Sounds like you paced it perfectly again and obviously you're in great shape to average under 8 min/mile over 10 miles. I just wish I could do it over 10k!

In the middle of holiday in France. Having a great time and have managed 3 runs, which are through very pretty country roads with vineyards and fields of sunflowers! Pretty hot and exposed but I've not been bothering about time, just trying to focus on form and enjoy myself.Am hoping to get up to 10 miles tomorrow as I've got GNR in just over a month. I think I've just got to give myself time to get back in the groove as the last couple of 10ks knocked my confidence somewhat!
03/08/2015 at 11:00

Bob - well done! Sounds like a well paced race, and good work to finish the final mile at below your target race pace! Let me know the official time and I'll update your gold spot time (and WAVA if appropriate).

Stephen - likewise, good run. Sounds like you are in good shape at the moment then. Just don't leave the good times in training, make sure you pick them up on a race course too

Nicole - enjoy your holiday. Sounds like a really nice place to be

Wonder what Dan, Rich and any others we haven't heard from in a while are up to?

Have got a parkrun pencilled in for this Saturday, looking to take my 5k time down below 21.30 if possible. Also have lined up a 10k for the end of August which is billed as a flat, fast course, so watch out Dan, your gold spot might be under threat ....

Edited: 03/08/2015 at 11:00
03/08/2015 at 13:05

I'm still about, just been lurking for a bit as work has been a bit crazy for a while, good luck with your 10k Andrew, you'll be able to put a marker down, but its only going to be for a month as i have a 10k set for the end of September myself. I'm also finally getting round to a 10 miler in October so hopefully I can add to my gold collection!

03/08/2015 at 13:14

oh, forgot to say! well done on the pb bob!

03/08/2015 at 16:54

Sounds like a challenge Dan! Let's see who is the first to sub45?! You can have the 10 mile gold spot until the Spring though

03/08/2015 at 18:11

A bit presumptious?

Yesterday at 09:27

Sorry Bob

Yesterday at 10:13

sub 45 is the overall goal, not sure if i'll get it this year though, 1:30/8 seconds per km off a 10k is quite a significant amount, pretty confident I can get in the 45:xx's though before the year is out as my current time was really badly paced (unless 2k at sub 4:30 km pace to start is a good idea)

Yesterday at 11:01

Dan - I always find it better to go slightly slower than goal pace for the first quarter of a race and then gradually crank it up, but obviously that tactic doesn't suit everyone. I'm hoping to adjust 5k time down (from 21:37) to between 21 and 21.30 before the 10k race and the calculators would then suggest that this predicts a 10k between 43.47 (!) and 44.49 (which is a bit close for comfort).

Yesterday at 11:23
Good luck guys, you're all doing really well.

Really pleased to get a 10 miler out today, that's given me a boost! Sometimes I forget how much of a psychological factor there is in running, so easy to get either on a roll or a downhill spiral in training depending on just one good or bad run - and how you deal with it. Made it all the way to the coast today and ran about 0.5 miles along there through a wild bird sanctuary - just gorgeous! I didn't want to turn back but unfortunately it's an out and back so didn't want to push it. May try 12/13 miler before I return on Sat to enjoy a bit more of it
Edited: 04/08/2015 at 11:29

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,861 to 1,877 of 1,877 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.