Sunday 18th January 2009

1 to 20 of 49 messages
18/01/2009 at 07:16

Morning

what: Helsby 4 Villages half marathon
why: too late to ask that now

Good luck to anyone else racing today, whether at Helsby, Brass Monkey, or elsewhere

18/01/2009 at 07:21
Hello

what: Stubbington 10K
why: it has a new route!!

Good luck everyone racing.
18/01/2009 at 07:38

Good luck racers

What: 16 M d&d
Why: long runs need to get longer
Last rest: yesterday
Last hard: today, last 1.5M consist of nearly 1M steep uphill (half continious), character building living on a hilltop

18/01/2009 at 07:40

morning all.

Good luck racing people. 

What: 4 miles easy d&d
Why: it had to be done
Last hard: getting up at 6am on a Sunday
Last rest: 2nd Jan

I am well chuffed at this morning's run.  Av HR was nice and low and pace was the best it's ever been for that pace.  Still snail's pace compared to everyone else on here but it is gratifying to see that consistent daily running is starting to pay off.

The reason for this morning's early start is that today is my mum's 80th birthday and us kids have organised a bit of a bash for her down where she lives near Southampton.  So OH and I are catching the train down this morning.  

Bye all.

18/01/2009 at 08:13
I remember at last year's Duchy marathon a guide and a blind runner steaming past me. I thought it was great, it reminded me of the blind and partially sighted folk at the guitar camps, who only learned to play after losing their sight, and they played a lot better than I did. One of them refused to carry a white stick, and indoors he could find his way around as long as he talked or whistled- echolocation on the human level

RFJ: nice one for jr!

Yesterday's lyrics were Crowded House, Don't dream it's over. A Neil Finn classic.

FL: The band got together again a few years ago, and made a new album. They toured (incl. the UK), and I don't know what they're doing now. I spent too many teenage hours singing along the four first CDs...

Mr Pied Wagtail is still around, he now drinks from the bowl of water I put out. Correction: I put out a bowl of seeds, which filled up with water.

What: Blaythorne 10
Why: First of the Cornish Grand Prix
Last hard: if you read this before 1pm: Monday; after 1pm: today
Last rest: 11 Jan.
Lyrics: no

Good luck to all fellow racers today!
18/01/2009 at 09:00

morning all

what: easy 45 mins in forest

why: 10+ miles xctry race washed me out yesterday!

last hard: yesterday

last easy: 9/1

take care and good luck racers

Dubai Dave    pirate
18/01/2009 at 09:15

Morning

Lots of racing going on today!

What: Nowt
Why: Tight calf muscles
Last hard: friday
Last rest: Today

Target setting: new aim a age graded sub 3 hour marathon....... only another 5 mins to knock off. That should keep me going for a a couple of years.

Good Luck to everyone racing today, awaiting reports with interest 

18/01/2009 at 09:30

Morning All,

Good luck to all racers today.

What: 16 miles easy
Why: Need to start buliding my long runs again
Last Hard: In the wind yesterday
Last Rest: Monday
Lyrics: Not today

This should take my total to 50 for the week which is not bad at all.

Happy days y'all!

18/01/2009 at 10:49

Morning All

Had another rest day yesterday as my calf was still tight , feels better today .

What: 10/20M depending on how I feel
Why: Seeing if I can
Last Hard:Being sensible the last two days
Last Rest: Yesterday
Lyrics: No

18/01/2009 at 12:37

Stubbington Green 10K

Plan to run at 3:55 pace for a low 39 and a new shining PB, weather was predicted to be bad, very bad, but was perfect............... Pre race food of toast and marmalade followed by a snickers bar 70 mins from the start.

18 runners from our club running so had a strong team out for points in the Hampshire Road Race Lge, a pleaseant warm up and chat with friends, RW forumites, fetchies and club mates, the off to the start.

The Gun and off

1K - 3:52, pace manic as usual at the starts, but feel good 3rd place for club at present
2K - 3:53, consistancy already, I like this, the tank is full and in cruise control
3K - 4:01 Pace still showing as 3:53 but the blip is a hill, work hard and take club mate to move into 2nd (usual place for me)
4k - 3:52, that the way I like it, solid and running well, starting to move through the fast starters who are now slowing.
5K - 3:57 - on target and a 19:36 5k split, had a mouthfull of water at te drinks station hence the blip here, now to kick on
6K - 3:49, pass a few known XC runners and see a V60 who is very handy, so hes my mark
7K - 3:52, onto the seafront, wind not bad, but whats this, our No 1 club runner is only 75m ahead, have never beaten him or been that close to him, new mark, can I, I now he is coming back of injury, but even so.....
8K - 3:43 - There is still fuel in the tank, time for the after burners and the snickers to strutt its stuff, foot down and accelerate for the last 3k.... closing on both V60 and club mate
9K - 3:46 - Still burning still well on fire and within touching distance of V60, get him right on 9k marker 3m to go to clubmate, big kick now.....
10K - 3:35 - Big kick and follow through too feeling really strong and see an even better V60 from my old club who I have never beaten, get him 10m before the line..... but just after the 9k marker, get clubmate. So get first for the club a second split of 18:49 (9 secs of a 5k PB 18:40).

so 38:25 on the watch and a new PB of 1:24

Rather happy and plan went plan, start within myself at 3:55 pace, ok went a bit quicker than that, but not much, then upped the pace from 5k when I knew I still have the fuel in the tank. Very happy.

18/01/2009 at 12:39

Afternoon, looks a breezy, cold day so I'm intending to head indoors again for a bit of plodding on the treadmill and then some quality stretching!

I need to treat myself to some new shoes but (I'm a tight Yorkshireman) can't seem to find anywhere that sells those shoes that aren't up to date. I think that someone on here used to get them from some place that did older stock? I'm a size 11, any recommendations?

AF
18/01/2009 at 13:19
FL: Out of the depths I post to you
18/01/2009 at 13:32
AF - ahhh, thankyou so very, very gratefully! I thought it was you who knew!
18/01/2009 at 14:35
Good afternoon everyone!

RFJ, congrats on a PB and a place run to plan

Tinebeest good to see you, hope your race went to plan.

Mava, nice hearing of your run feeling good.

Hope Mike's race also has been a good one.

Shall read back and find out how DD's race went.

A discouraging week for me. Having gone out with the Hash on Monday without problems, I was dismayed Tuesday to wake up not able to open right eye properly, hard to prop either eyelid up, if truth be told. Made cycling difficult, reading not so, as eyes are down on the page, but generally frustrating. By Wednesday was struggling even more so, whole face stiff, went to Doc's. Heaps of blood taken Thursday, Friday got inspected by all the little 4th year medical students who needed to see someone with weird neuro problems. Started clearing up Friday, but situation still fragile. Running today didn't work. I stumped round 3 miles, walking the last half mile, dizzy with eyes half closed. No point in flogging a poorly horse.

Nobody thinks it's anything new, just a bit demoralising that it has taken a new and annoying tack.

Other distressing news is a fellow sailor and runner has been diagnosed with leukemia, one of the nasty versions. May he out tough that horror.
18/01/2009 at 15:09

RFJ - cracking run. Very nicely controlled. Congrats.

Sorry to hear that Stickless. Hope you feel better soon.

Pammie - nice mileage. You're still on a roll!

Podro - I couldn't resist looking through those menus when I sent them on. Think I'll need to organise a trip back there. I love the food and beer.

Hope I haven't missed anybody in a quick read back. Will check in later for more reports.

What: 16m am (8 easy out / 8 back a bit brisker, aka Tempo Lite) / 5m steady on the treadie at lunchtime.
Why: In the mara specific phase, Sunday and Monday will be my two toughest/most important days, so this is a bridging day to what I'll be doing then.
Last hard: this am.
Last rest: Yesterday.
Lyrics: No.

Enjoy the rest of the day folks!

18/01/2009 at 15:26

Afternoon all

Well done on the race RFJ.

Sorry to hear about the problems Stickless. Very strange symptoms. Hope things improve.

Brass Monkey Report
Not running well at the moment so wasn't expecting much. Decided to start out easy and then just see how it went. Bumped into a few of the usual suspects at the start and during the race including Wardi.

Mile 1 - 6:36 - Started off too far back and had to move through traffic
Mile 2 - 6:27 - Easing through crowds keeping pace with a couple of clubmates
Mile 3 - 6:27 - In good steady group
Mile 4 - 6:37 - Feeling OK turn into loop at top of course
Mile 5 - 6:34 - Into a headwind, not very strong. Make effort to cross to another group ahead
Mile 6 - 6:27 - turn into top of course. Muddy roads
Mile 7 - 6:39 - onwards to start turn back towards the finish
Mile 8 - 6:31 - long straighht boring road
Mile 9 - 6:30 - overtaking a few who have gone out too fast
Mile 10 - 6:38 - spot a local rival in distance who I have never beaten before. Make him my target
Mile 11 - 6:42 - target closer. Need good effort to close the gap before the end
Mile 12 - 6:35 - target 10m ahead and tiring. Closing him down quickly
Mile 13.1 - 7:16 - Overtake target just after the 12 mile marker and push on to the end overtaking a couple more. get pipped by 4 fast finishers in the final 1/4 mile.

Finish time (unofficial) 1:26:04 which was unexpected and very welcome. Just under 2 minutes slower than PB though.
After the race I ran back to meet Mrs Podro who had a terrible time with a poorly hip. Ran over 2 miles back up the course and met her well past the railway bridge. Accompanied her to the finish for a total run of 19 miles. Very well organised this year with chip timing and a rucksack at the end instead of the traditional sweatshirt.

18/01/2009 at 15:27
TT - I'm going out there with some hard drinking workmates. I think that there will be lots of beer sampling going on
18/01/2009 at 16:05

Well done Podro for Brass Monkey, must have been quite tough today with that wind. I'll check back later or tomorrow for more reports on the race.

What: just run in the gym as didn't fancy a cold breezy run. 4M in 33mins (from 8.34m/m to 7.30m/m pace),  which pleased me as it's been a long time since I did this sort of speed on a treadmill (or anywhere) in regular training, especially after yesterday's 7M.
Why: ticking over and getting in my weekly 20-22M training (21M actually this week, like last week)
Last rest: Friday

If I can get my weekend 'long' run up to 10M, I'll be pleased as I can then race up to 10k when the less-cold weather comes along.  Thanks again, AF, for the link; I've bought myself a nice new pair of Nike shoes for a lot cheaper than some places!

18/01/2009 at 16:17

tbh, would be v surprised if someone got the lyrics today without googling a certain affirmative prog rock band....

....but no apologies for that - this was the best thing they ever did (only no-one noticed) and I've often used this piece when travelling to Borders League fixtures for inspiration.

Anyway, headlines are: 74th, 1:24:46 (chip) 1:24:51 (gun)

so, 1:25 target achieved, feeling quite pleased

more details later

18/01/2009 at 16:26

Stickless, get well soon

RFJ-well done on the pb, and you too Podro

I did a pb at the brass monke half too, by-drum roll-ONE  WHOLE SECOND

I was very, very unwell after gut wise, i could have given no more

(mind you, had gut trubble all week)

At least i know that last years sub two hour half wasnt a fluke

1 to 20 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.