Sunday 18th March 2007

81 to 87 of 87 messages
18/03/2007 at 21:05
Oh yes, just dipped under 2:12.

Not 2:04
18/03/2007 at 21:11
I've just discovered I did my longest run week for several years this week... 60 miles... I blame all that sunshine... but maybe I need to start a plan and do this training a little less ad hoc?

...and Shiraz has just told me that her mileage this week was 1.65 compared with 52 miles this same week last year - proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the bench sucks!
18/03/2007 at 21:22
Rundown, exactly my feelings about Silverstone today - nothing learnt and no time to retest. I've looked up the leading women's times compared with their best from last year and 4 mins down seems to be average, at your sort of pace, so looks like you could have got your 71mins. As for me, BR, I wouldn't have been particlarly happy with 1:41, but bettter than 1:45. (and playing host at my aunt's 100th birthday party was more tiring than I would have like the day before a key race)

and BR, like Rundown and I have said, I don't think you can read anything into a race in as difficult weather as today, especially with your hamstring and calf problem as well. As for the HR to pace ratio, I think that is only valid in perfect weather - temperature and wind, and on a flat course. And I wondered what the effect of pain would be, when I had toothache last week.
18/03/2007 at 21:24
BR - The cramps may be lack of salts etc... if you are not passing solids only liqiud (sorry to put it like that) but I find that when Im having issues like that I tend to cramp up more than I would normally.

Just a thought that may help (but am no expert)

Like my run yesterday, may not be the best, but try and take some positives out of it, IE it was 20m in the bag, forget it and move on.

Rundown - great effort.

Sodahead - your race was a great effort too, well done.

Take care
18/03/2007 at 21:24
Guys, it's a well known fact that PAIN is part of the FLIGHT-FRIGHT-FIGHT stimulus. Therefore dumping a whole load of adrenaline into the system... increasing HR and BP. Voila! (It's a bit more technical than that but essentially yes, pain does increase HR).
18/03/2007 at 22:16
nrg - I still wake up with back pain every day - in fact, I wake up at 4am a lot of the time in a lot of pain, and have to get up and walk around for it to stretch out. Despite that, once I get up and start moving around, it doesn't usually affect me the rest of the day. It doesn't have any impact on my running the way it used to (and I've done ALL my running for years in the Teva Protons). Yep, I still keep in touch with Pants, and stayover at his place once every couple of months.

How's things with you? Are you still doing the PoSE sessions? You'd had back pain previously yourself hadn't you?
18/03/2007 at 22:55
What: Bedgrudging rest today.
Why: (not so usual) Work committments
Last hard: Yesterday
Last rest: Today

It was a double shift for me today, so it meant either a crack o' dawn run (which is not typically me, however I did try this morning to get up) or go out running now, but I think it's too late in this part of scotland anyway.

I hate rest days when there is no true physical reason, and today was one of them - if the change of work schedule wasn't so spontaneous I'd have gone out after work, earlier in the evening. :( Ho hum, normal service resumes with gusto tomorrow.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 87 of 87 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.