Switching Long Run Days

8 messages
04/12/2007 at 23:37

Hi Everyone!

I have only ever run my long runs on Sundays, I find that it's a perfect way to end the week and relax. I'm currently looking at races for next year and the marathon I want to enter is scheduled for a Saturday! 

Am I ok to keep doing my long run training on Sunday? I know that the key to effective training is regularity so I am loathe to switch my long runs to Saturdays half way through a training schedule. On the other hand, specificity says that I should be doing my long runs on the right race day! 

Does anyone have a solution? I would prefer to keep my long run on Sunday as it is usually much less busy than my Saturdays. So will there be any adverse effect if I race on Saturday? Especially as Saturday is my rest day.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone!

cougie    pirate
05/12/2007 at 00:39

It wont make a blind bit of difference.

You'll be tapering down anyway for the marathon, so your body isnt going to be aware of what day it is from your normal schedule.

Have a nice race. 

05/12/2007 at 04:48

what cougie said

Last year i did a lot of long runs on a saturday some on a sunday , my marathon was on a Monday.

So it'll be no problem

05/12/2007 at 08:56

Ditto, you're worrying about nothing!

Did my first marathon on a monday, and all my long runs on a saturday, just meant i had two days extra rest before the race.

05/12/2007 at 09:26

Do your LSR on any day of the week. It doesn't matter. Most people adapt their training schedules to meet personal circumstances.

JJ

05/12/2007 at 09:33
You will drop dead immediately if you race on a Saturday.

;-)
05/12/2007 at 11:37
05/12/2007 at 12:21

Oh no Swerve ! Just what I suspected!

Thanks guys, crisis over I guess! (note to self not to worry too much)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.