Talkback: ASICS Super Six Expert Video: How to stretch your gluteus muscles

4 messages
21/02/2011 at 12:56
Anyone got some tips on how to stretch to help my ITB issues?
21/02/2011 at 14:05

Stretching isn't a very efficient way addressing ITB issues as the stretch will typically occur in the flexors rather than ITB.

Look up foam rolling for ITB - that'll be what you need.

08/03/2011 at 11:55
You're always best going to a physio for advice.  My understanding (not a physio) is that ITB is typically the result of tight hip flexors (which may be caused by something else etc.).  Any competent sports physio should be able to give you an appropriate stretching programme.  They also might be able to spot if there's anything else going on.  That said if you want to try it DIY I can tell you that something like the Thomas test for the Psoas works really well for me.  Go on to youtube and put in 'psoas thomas test' and you'll get a few videos on how to do it.  If you're using the foam roller my experience is that you're better off leaving the side of your leg alone and focusing on your hips.  It's slight counterintuitive but the tightness is actually coming from your hip not the side of your leg.
08/03/2011 at 11:57
Just saw that Sarah has described the Thomas test here.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.