Talkback: Ask the Expert: Marathon training with coach Steve Smythe

12 messages
23/01/2013 at 19:42

Hi

not a marathon but a half do you think it is possible to do a half on 3 runs a week.

Sunday run 9/11 miles@ 9 min per mile

2 runs of 5/7 miles doing steady run (although I'veput mileage I do these 2 runs in km efforts warm up then each km@4 1/2 min effort 1-2 mins rec)

I also bike to and from work 5 days a week 12 mile each day

Thanks

Ron 

24/01/2013 at 20:26

Is interval training the best way to get my speed up? I started running two and a half years ago. My best pace is 9.47 min miles. Time out from March 2012 -June 2012 due to a fractured fibula (tree root whilst running through woods) Had birsitis for around 3 months now but it feels like it is going. I would really love to be able to do an easy run, say 5 to 6 miles at 9min miles. Currently train as follows.

Monday  Rest

Tuesday 5ish miles including hills

Wednesday  3.2 easy @ 10.25

Thursday  30min track session, intervals plus 800m warm up + 800m cool down

Friday  Rest

Saturday  3.2 half uphill half down

Sunday Just got back to 7miles flat and slow. Will be doing up to 10

25/01/2013 at 13:59
I will be 70 when I do VLM this year having only taken up running when I was 62.  As I expect the marathon to take me about 6 and a half hours (I have done 2 previous marathons in that time), how long should my longest runs be?  It seems unrealistic to only be out for 3 hours training when I need to be on my feet for 6 and a half.
25/01/2013 at 16:37
What should be the feeding schedule during the  marathon sub 2:50 marathon run?
26/01/2013 at 23:25
What I've never quite understood, is how you can go from max 20-22 mile runs at 'marathon pace' plus 45 secs to 1 min per mile, to doing 26 miles at a significantly faster pace, having never experienced this in training?  Of course, the atmosphere on the day will push you further, etc, but should you not attempt a 'mock' marathon performance at least once beforehand, even if it takes a fair bit out of you and requires a week or 10 days of rest/light training?
28/01/2013 at 15:24

Hi Steve,

I am running the Barcelona Marathon on the 17th March and then i am down to run the London Marathon (  as long i stay injury free ).

What i would like to know what is the best way to train after the Barcelona marathon leading up to the London Marathon?

I am a experience marathon runner and my PB is 2:38 but i have never done 2 marathons so close together.

30/01/2013 at 15:51
Hi Steve,iam 44 female ,running since three years,i would like to do a spring half marathon . i am doing my slow long running once a week and my best one is 10,33 in 1.45.i also do one sessions of interval running (20 minutes)at 8.45 as sprint.then I do a session with hills included and finally a middle run distance 5 miles at 9.25.my weekly mileage can vary from 15miles to 30 miles depend on time available.do you think can try the half marathon?thanks Conny
30/01/2013 at 17:56

This is my question too!

I experimented today by going bait quicker in LR.  

Today I did my LR by doing 13 miles with a negative split with second half run at marathon pace (first half about 30-40 secs slower).  

Is this a good proxy?  Good idea or not advisable? 

30/01/2013 at 17:58

I should say my question is same as Peter Fenns about three up!

22/04/2013 at 19:26

Hello Steve. I'm a 57 year old and I have been running for over 25 years before this was football, in 1991 I did my best London marathon in 2.39.53, half marathons were around 1.17, ten miles in 57 mins (oh those were the day's) my milage was up to 70mile a week then with sessions at Invicta Ek on Tuesday (Speedwork) hills Thursdays with fartlek and LSD also in the mix. I mainly run to keep fit running five times a week long run of 9 miles, some 400 or 800 on grass wednesday's with Heart rate running (150bpm) on other days my mileage is only about 25-28miles per week. My question is why could I run 7min pace easy back then but I now struggle to run 8 min pace now, is it really an age thing? I run on my own and don't race so I'm not really pushing myself against others. My 800's on grass are again Heart rate runs but I do them between 6.30 and 7 min pace this is the target I set myself. Can I get back to 7min miling or under if I raced again.

Thanks

Regards Roger Hyland.

04/06/2013 at 20:31

hi steve,

i have been running now for about 3 years, i have pb's of 10k 38min, hm 1hr 22min, but when it comes to marathons i can't keep the pace up, 3hrs 15min is my pb, how often would i need to train, as on rest days i bike instead.

i'm running abingdon marathon in october and want to give this one my big shot, with my pb times, would you think there is any chance i could get close to the 3hr mark

thanks steve

09/10/2013 at 16:54

Hi Steve,

I'm a 38 years old male who recently took up running again. I ran quite a lot years ago, stopped for a few years (with the odd run here and there) and am considering running a marathon in april. 

I've been running three to four times a week for 6 weeks now. I've run 10k in 41min and a scratch and 10 miles in 1h 09 min. What time do your think I should aim for in april? And is my frequency ok, or should I run 5 times a week in order to put down a time that's in accordance with my capacities. I've got a good basic fitness: HB in rest @ 44 bpm; strength exercises and stretching on regular basis.

Thanks for your advice.

Frédéric 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.