Talkback: Becoming A Runner

13 messages
21/01/2011 at 18:28

Joining a running club may be a tad intimidating for some people. I would suggest parkrun is a good place to start http://www.parkrun.com/home.aspx , very welcomng but you can also turn up, run and then go if you chose.

22/01/2011 at 01:20
Yeah, great if your nearest one isn't 30 miles away! Don't think i'll bother driving that far for a 5k
22/02/2011 at 21:39
I am nearly 4 stone overweight and have just got a place on September 2011 Great North Run in aid of children with cancer...have ran 3 half marathons a few years ago and desperatley want to get back into running..also really need to build up my core strength..anyone got any training tips? x
08/03/2011 at 22:00
I have to agree.  Went to my first ever 'race' since school at Banstead Park and managed the 5K without stopping as I was running with others. Great fun and and a great boost.  3 days later, have just done 10K.  6 months ago, I would be lucky to run a kilometre without stopping. Mesage here is to start slowly, keep at it, go back if you falter and you will get there.  I am knocking 50 and 16st.
28/03/2011 at 19:41
pls am a good runner,who is currently doing my masters at london school of commerce,i have the interest to run in the olympic,how can i go about it?
M...eldy    pirate
28/03/2011 at 19:52
04/05/2011 at 23:55
i want to seriously get back in to running evert time i try i go a very short ditance and stop used to do it a lot 5 yrs ago
12/06/2011 at 16:43
My first half marathon is the great north run this year 
28/11/2011 at 16:29

Wish I'd found this 'discussion' section sooner - it's brill

Kingsley - how's your Olympic dream coming along ? 

11/01/2012 at 13:20

This is a great forum.

I am an absolute beginner, and only dare to run on the treadmill in the gym at the moment. I really need a decent tee-shirt as my cotton ones get soaking, can anyone reccommend one please?

I have now worked up to 5k in 45 mins, I do .75k running, then.25 walk until I get to 5k. The last push .75k is the hardest at the moment.

Where should I go from here?

Tia

04/02/2012 at 14:54

Hi Tia, 

I was a complete beginner on when I ventured out on Christmas Eve last year huffing and puffing. I found if I simply went at a comfortable pace but tried to increase distance gradually I was improving rapidly. Last thursday I did ten miles in 1hour 46mins and felt amazing. I always rest for a couple of days after to fully recover. I do as many pressups as possible to keep my back from acheing.

I am filled with calmness after a long run. I also do faster 5K's in 30mins but don't enjoy the speed work...yet.

I am aiming for marathon distance this Christmas. It may be a pipe dream but I'll be happy trying.

Good luck and 'find your niche'.

God Bless

Andy 

06/02/2012 at 13:25

I started running off and on over a year ago, and restarted the beginning of this year. I did a 10K on a spur on the moment thing last september, after no training for the previous 3 weeks and came in at 1:08. This year I'm in the BUPA 10K in may, running for the RNLI, and I have found my motivation again.

Since Jan Ist I'm running 5K 3 times a week, and have cracked the magic(for me!!) 10min/mile over the 5K, and I have just rejoined the gym to start some cardio work and weights, and do a bit of training out of the snow and ice. I enjoy the little improvements (it was great when I went from 10:04 to 9:58) and the feeling after a good run,.. all warm and glowly!!

Based on my experience, slow and steady is the answer, with small regular goals. I started with the couchpotato to 10K plan (google it) and it worked for me I'm still working on the loosing weight issue (nearly 17 stone is a lot to cart around), but it is coming off slowly. Also go to a running shop, get advice and buy a good pair of trainers. My other toy is a gps/heart  tracking watch.. I'm using a garmin 405, its great to see where I've been, and how I've done on the hills....and no-one else will know!!!

Wayne

27/05/2012 at 03:59

I used to start off too fast and burn out. Then, like Wayne, I got a GPS / Heartrate Monitor. Forgot about the times and ran to a steady heartrate - too high, I would slow down, too low and I would speed up. Brilliant.

A year later I'm running faster, further and at a lower heartrate. Tuesday and Thursday treadmill. Sunday fun! 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.