Talkback: Heart Rate 101

21 to 25 of 25 messages
22/01/2012 at 19:23

This is how i always understood it but there seems to be conflicting info. Even on this site it has an article taking into account resting heart rate, whilst all the others seem to use only MHR. The problem is the two different methods result in massive discrepancies in heart rate.

ie MHR:190 X 70% = 133BPM

MHR:190 - RHR:60 = WHR:130 X 70% = 91 + RHR:60 =151BPM

Where RHR is resting heart rate and WHR is working heart rate. Just using MHR is far easier but doesn't take into account the huge difference between beginners and elite athletes working heart range. Using the two methods causes so much confusion that experienced athletes think they can walk and still improve!! This article and anymore that talk of heart rate training must be more clear.

03/02/2012 at 23:01

I've been using MAHR maximum aerobic heart rate to put on a base.

180-age (+5 if you have been working out for a year)=MAHR

Its the pace you can run while carrying on a conversation. You are not tired at the ned of a run. It builds your ability to use oygen and fat for fuel instead of carbs as you do in anaerobic zones. I reckon it's the same thing discussed here. I have a half marathon in 8 weeks and am using some interval work on the short runs for the next 4 weeks before taper. It's my first half so I have no comparison.

LC1
27/04/2012 at 17:10

Lots of good information here, but I still have questions.  I've owned the John Parker book on HR training for years.  Every time I pull it out to use it, I quit again after two or three days because, at <70%, I'm walking.  Really?  Even the 12 week program for intermediate runners has be doing a "jog" at 65% - that's a slow, slow walk for me.  My HR monitor is beeping every 30-50 steps and driving me crazy.

So what's the problem?  Is my heart stronger than average and should I bump up my numbers a bit? Or is my heart not as strong as I think and I just need to get used to walking?

27/04/2012 at 23:05
Have you read the book properly?  How have you ascertained your max HR? A ''slow, slow walk'' will be less than 50% of your true max, even if you're not very fit at all.
28/06/2012 at 16:02

i did a very slow jog for about an hour on tuesday and my hearth rate was anything between 165-179. 60% of my mhr is supposedly about 129 so something is wrong.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.