Talkback: Q+A: Can I run a sub-3 marathon? I've done 3:30

1 message
03/10/2013 at 17:14

" If you can record a time of about 80 minutes, it would certainly be worth aiming for three hours in the marathon."

I think is quite agressive at best. Using RW own predictor (http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/rws-race-time-predictor/1681.html), I reckon if you're around 1:25 - 1:26 mark for a half marathon around that time, a sub-3 is realistic.

I was in the same situation as you. My previous marathon PB was 3:30:32 in NYC Marathon 2009, but then over two years I worked on speed, trying to get faster over 5k, 10k and building leg/core strength( was out with knee injury for a while after NY) and once I got my 10K times around 38 mins mark, I decided to have a crack at the marathon distance and got 2:56(that's 34 mins off my marathon PB!!).

During my training, I had only managed a 1:24:20 half marathon time. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.