Talkback: Share Your VLM Stories

81 to 84 of 84 messages
26/04/2012 at 16:52

I did one at http://www.elvet-striders.org.uk/#london.220412 too long to post here.

Cheers Alister

Edited: 26/04/2012 at 16:54
01/05/2012 at 17:49

Hiya! I been a regular runner for 5 years, and have done loads of halves over the years.. but this was something else. Got round first half in 1:50. Great.

All was going well until mile 17 (pound for every time I have heard that too) when I felt as if someone had shaken me. Then, about a mile later I got cramp in both calves, seemingly striking at the same time. Then pins and needles in my fingers. The wheel had come off and no mistake.

Overall, I am humbled by the crowd support and wish I could thank every single supporter who made the effort to shout or give out jelly babies or keep me going. If you were there, thank you, particularly the "non runner" people in the local areas of East and South East London. Bless you all.

Got round in 4.37 - half hour after I had wanted. The marathon had stripped me, looked me in the eye and said "not good enough" I wasn't good enough for this brutal and cruel event. If I come back and try the distance again, then I will respect it. It demands a full years training for that particular distance. It has to be an obsession. My mileage was not enough. I did the long runs - building up to 20 in training, nothing less than a half every week. BUt it did not consume me, and it should have done.

But I made a mistake with my training runs which I now realise. When you do a long run, use a garmin to check the time of the LAST mile you did in training. This is the most important mile you do. So if you did 8 min miles upto 15 miles, then 11 min for the (last) say, 16th mile in training, don't think you have done well based on a low average time overall.

Remember you will do the next 10 miles for real from 16 to 26 at the 11 min mile pace. Not the (good) average of the 15 at 8min, then 1 at 11min over 16. Dont ignore the last mile on training. Work on that last mile and ask if you could honestly do this for the next hour and a half.  

But I did it, am still wearing the medal a week later, but the distance deserves the utmost repect and I have the same for all those who have ever completed it.           

03/05/2012 at 21:42

Congratulations to your wife's marathon success Gareth.  I wouldn't be so harsh on the volunteer though.  Whilst I do agree that he was wrong, it isn't that big a deal, yet it's pretty much all you focused on in your report.  

I hope your wife's success has encouraged you to have a go next year Gareth?  

04/10/2013 at 10:22

In males, the lesions occur on the glans penis, shaft of the penis or other parts of the genital region, on the inner thigh, buttocks, or anus. In females, lesions appear on or near the pubis, labia, clitoris, vulva, buttocks or anus. sarah wilcox get rid of herpes

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 84 of 84 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.