Talkback: Top Seeded: Seeds to Increase Speed

10 messages
12/06/2012 at 20:29
Chia seeds are great with some agave nectar and the juice of a lime - trick is not to make 'em too thick and mix them the night before so they've got time to soak up the water. I've never had a stitch when using chia seeds...
12/06/2012 at 21:37
I've recently made a sort of halva. Use a food processor to grind and mix up sesame seeds, tahini and agarve nectar. Trust me it's delicious.
13/06/2012 at 09:26
I've used chia seeds before when doing various marathons and fell runs, can't emphasise enough the benefits I've found using them 
17/06/2012 at 19:17

where do i get chia seeds from ? TIA

29/06/2012 at 08:12

There's a lot of myths around agave nectar out there. Linky thing

01/07/2012 at 20:45

Alison - you can get chia seeds from Holland & Barrett

02/07/2012 at 19:07

ok, thanks. pursuedbyangrybees

14/09/2012 at 17:25

I leave chia seeds to soak in water (stir first though) and if in an air tight container in the fridge they last for a week. I add them to my cereal most mornings. Alison - I buy my chia seeds from buywholefoodsonline.com  because they are cheaper there than in H&B! There may be other wholefood shops in your area that sell them so have a hunt.

nomeatathlete.com  is a good source of recipes for chia seeds - I make sort of flapjack with dates; chia seeds; agave nectar; etc and find them useful on long runs rather than energy gels etc.

03/05/2013 at 14:48

Replying to  very old post of yours about chia seeds ... is it essential to soak them before adding to cereal etc? Or can they be sprinkled on? Thanks.

03/05/2013 at 15:25

I used to soak mine and add the gel to my porridge and honey every morning, but now I just sprinkle a spoon on and mix it in. If you use them dry, they will still absorb liquid from what ever you put them in, including your stomach, so extra fluid either in the porridge or as a drink is useful. They take up 6-7 times their volume in liquid over 20-30 mins.

My partner gets them in a local health food shop, but only pays £2.67 per 250g, some places do charge the earth for them! seen them double that price before

We also sprinkle them on veg roasts and pretty much everything we cook now! Well, ok, Roni does, not so much we ...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.