Talkback: Usain Bolt: Sprinting Technique

4 messages
14/07/2011 at 11:19

I am sorry to be the first to say this but anyone looking at the technique Usain Bolt employed in smashing those records would say that the technique was full of flaws.

This just makes his achievements even more amazing! Just for starters, his upper body moved from side to side (indicating a need to improve core strength) his arm shape was flailing in the driveback phase which is a massive ineffieciency and his hips rotate slightly as well. I believe Michael Johnson did a documentary on how he would make Usain faster.

It seems he has done strength work in the winter season to remedy this and I think when he is fully fit we will see these records broken again - because his technique is improving. But to suggest people should try and imitate him would be wrong. They should try to emulate him - even Usain Bolt is working hard to get better!

Definitely worth checking out @margotwells or @wellfastltd for an Olympic sprint coaches take on technique - would suggest Runners World contact her for her opinions as well - she is great at speaking exactly what she thinks! 

14/07/2011 at 14:16
It's a bit like when Paula Radcliffe first came to prominence and was criticised for her running technique. The nodding head etc.

Didn't prevent her "smashing" the marathon world record and I guess that when you're as phenomenally talented as her or Bolt, running naturally is more important.

17/04/2012 at 05:22
I'm not saying it's correct but some changes IN NATRUAL TECHNIQUE MAY ACTUALLY TIGHTEN THE MUSCLES AND MAKE THEM MORE INEFFICIENT! Food for thought.
17/04/2012 at 06:52
Many ways to skin a cat. The purists always have a problem with these 'flawed' performers. Look at Bubba Watson winning the Masters. Just because something doesn't look pretty, it doesn't always follow that its wrong. Sure, Bolt could be better, but does he have to be? On reflection, yes. Its results that count, unfortunately the chances of Paula Radcliffe getting another one are slim, the days of her getting away with stupid levels of training finished about nine years ago.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.