Talkback: Win the ultimate spring marathon experience

401 to 420 of 704 messages
debbo    pirate
30/11/2010 at 08:36
Melds - what's your problem - you've got endless night shifts with eff all to do but work on this

wi
30/11/2010 at 09:14
I heard Advanced marathoning is interesting. I may just get a copy from amazon then if you're saying it's so good
debbo    pirate
30/11/2010 at 09:15
I haven't actually used P&D yet, but I bought it a month or so ago

I'm hoping it's good
wi
30/11/2010 at 10:03

I have "Braing Training for runners" and was planning on using one of their plans to try something bit different.

How's everyone today? We have beautiful snow here in London (at least we had an hour ago, no windows in my office so have no idea what's going on outside), I hope there will be some left when I will run home tonight.

30/11/2010 at 11:28

I've just bought P&D too after having it recommended by a couple of trusted people on the forum. Looking forward to starting it for Edinburgh.

Blisters and beer wrote (see)
This suggests they've not gone for soft targets in the past. I think many have failed due to illness or injury.
kittenkat wrote (see)

I don't think it does or doesn't suggest that.

I still think it does. After all, surely one is more likely to suffer injuries or be susceptible to illness if they are suffering from stress or pushing too hard in attempting to achieve a tough target?

Which leads me to my next point. I'd like to put myself forward for the idea you're creating but I can't bring myself to do it. I think one of the major factors in the Super6 not achieving their goals is the stress they are under, having to keep people amused and updated through their thread while still satisfying the sponsors through being seen to be putting their all into the program. Then it all comes down to race day and the pressure to perform, amid the razzmatazz, in order to justify their being given the opportunity. I know one of the Super6 from this year was feeling far more pressure than if they had just turned up to a marathon on the back of their own training and therefore wasn't able to achieve the target on the day. This was proven by the fact that 6 weeks later, secretly, in another marathon, they comfortably hit their Super6 target.

I think this pros vs peasants idea (although quite interesting and amusing!) may become a self-fulfilling prophesy, in that there will likely be additional stress heaped on the Asics chosen ones as they will also have non-professionally assisted athletes, who have absolutely nothing to lose, pitted against them.

In my opinion, it's a little unfair on the people who will be chosen by RW and smells a little of sour grapes.

There, I said it!

30/11/2010 at 13:18
Blisters and beer wrote (see)

Which leads me to my next point. I'd like to put myself forward for the idea you're creating but I can't bring myself to do it. I think one of the major factors in the Super6 not achieving their goals is the stress they are under, having to keep people amused and updated through their thread while still satisfying the sponsors through being seen to be putting their all into the program. Then it all comes down to race day and the pressure to perform, amid the razzmatazz, in order to justify their being given the opportunity. I know one of the Super6 from this year was feeling far more pressure than if they had just turned up to a marathon on the back of their own training and therefore wasn't able to achieve the target on the day. This was proven by the fact that 6 weeks later, secretly, in another marathon, they comfortably hit their Super6 target.

I think this pros vs peasants idea (although quite interesting and amusing!) may become a self-fulfilling prophesy, in that there will likely be additional stress heaped on the Asics chosen ones as they will also have non-professionally assisted athletes, who have absolutely nothing to lose, pitted against them.

Good point, Blisters, although there will still be a huge pressure on the forum six not to let their mates down.  In many respects that's harder to deal with than the sniping from (a very small minority of) those who weren't shortlisted for the official Super Six and think they could have made a better job of it.

Edited: 30/11/2010 at 13:21
30/11/2010 at 13:23
On the flipside, can it not be a bit of healthy competition Blisters? The RW 6 don't have to view the thread challenge as a threat. It'd be pretty hard to match people's abilities/history/etc up like for like anyhow.
30/11/2010 at 13:43
Little Ninja wrote (see)
On the flipside, can it not be a bit of healthy competition Blisters? The RW 6 don't have to view the thread challenge as a threat. It'd be pretty hard to match people's abilities/history/etc up like for like anyhow.
Yeah, I have thought it would be difficult to match people up (as KK said "we're all flesh and blood"). But that's what this new idea is meant to be, isn't it? A competition of Pros vs Peasants. Isn't  there already healthy competition in the selected 6 trying to achieve what will be the time targets? I just feel it will be another way for people to undermine the Super6ers. If it turns out it's not and the Super6 see it as a good thing then I'll take all I've said back but I'm fairly certain not everyone will be supportive and will pit one against the other, which might ruin what should be a wonderful experience for the lucky ones.
debbo    pirate
30/11/2010 at 17:40
I don't think I'm sniping, or undermining anyone and I will certainly still be supportive of the chosen six

I think this is a fun idea and I don't think it's about making a better job of it, it's about making a different job of it, away from the pressure of having to follow x schedule and wear y shoes

M...eldy    pirate
30/11/2010 at 17:49
yeah, what the midget said !
Tommygun2    pirate
30/11/2010 at 17:51

Hmm I was thinking it would be just a bit of fun for the forum to have abit of an envolvement with. Completely seperate from the SS.

But if anyone feels it would undermind the SS, well just ignore the thread and don't join in. Anyone who decides to do this will be doing a marathon anyway and we can help encourage/support them. Rather than the official sponsors and coaches.

Probably just said the same as Debbo

kittenkat    pirate
30/11/2010 at 18:18

t's all meant to be fun, combined with a bit of hard work, with a common cause to getting over the line as quickly as you can and then drinking shed loads of beer.

The question is will anyone make it to the finish or will we all collapse after the copious drinking games at the first mile marker...

Who knows, I guess it depends on individual's dedication to training.

debbo    pirate
30/11/2010 at 18:22
copious drinking games? I'm a serious afferlete - I don't do copious drinking games

30/11/2010 at 18:23
Did someone mention alkyhool?
30/11/2010 at 19:57
I really like the idea of the Snubbed Six, I believe it will give 6 runners the chance to get sound advice, a decent training plan, the support from all of us and a decent chance of hitting their target time.

How those 6 get chosen is the difficult bit and how the Super Six / Runner World feel about the Snubbed Six needs to be taken into account.

It would be good to know RW opinion on the idea before it goes to far.
30/11/2010 at 20:01
debbo wrote (see)
I don't think I'm sniping, or undermining anyone and I will certainly still be supportive of the chosen six I think this is a fun idea and I don't think it's about making a better job of it, it's about making a different job of it, away from the pressure of having to follow x schedule and wear y shoes

That's absolutely not what I meant!

Let's just say that there were some unpleasant and very personal comments, both on our threads and by PM.  There are some sad buggers on this forum, and thankfully they're not regular forumites, at least not any that I come across in the course of my normal nattering on here.  And here's their theme song

Edited: 30/11/2010 at 20:04
kittenkat    pirate
30/11/2010 at 20:01

RW are aware of it, we are after all sitting in their living room drinking their tea and dunking their biscuits!

kittenkat    pirate
30/11/2010 at 20:02
x-post.
debbo    pirate
30/11/2010 at 20:13
Hash - ah, I see. I didn't realise that you all got sniped at and that folk went as far as sending PMs to you - what's their problem?

I can't see that anyone would have a problem with it, unless the snubbed six were complaining bitterly about not being in the super six, and being negative towards the super six.
kittenkat    pirate
30/11/2010 at 20:23

I think the final Super Six might complain about not being in the Snubbed Six, I will be the one to volunteer with letting them down gently should that happen.

;)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.