Tapering

6 messages
10/06/2013 at 10:05

I'm fairly convinced of the merits of tapering for a marathon - generally a three week taper (agreed?), but I am wondering about shorter races. For a half-marathon, I think I would generally leave out more intensive/longer sessions in the final week before a race, but I am wondering if there is a limit. I reckon I run a faster 5k when I have actually had a more intensive week of training focussing on keying into a race pace.

So, is there an argument for "inverse tapering" at shorter distances, but switch to regular tapering for longer races? If so, when should you do which?

10/06/2013 at 10:32

A two week taper is generally excepted as a taper for a marathon. An easy week leading up to a half marathon. Easy last half of the week for a 10k or a 5K. 

10/06/2013 at 10:46

Before a target 5k or 10k I would probably just cut the volume, but not the intensity, of the tough sessions in the last week and maybe cut the volume of the easy runs a few days before. I personally have a day off 2 days before and an easy 3-4 miles day before.

I would say you were just on good form for those fast 5k's and you probably would have been a few seconds quicker still if you had tapered for a few days. 

cougie    pirate
10/06/2013 at 10:49
I know someone who raced hard 10ks back to back last year. One Saturday and One Sunday. This year the races were a week apart so he had a decent rest. His time for the second one was slower this year - so maybe tapering isnt as important as we think. Or it could be a fluke. Who knows ?
10/06/2013 at 10:54

I would say that tapering for longer disatnces is a given, in my opinion. The shorter races, its just a case of not being over tired. I used to race 5 races in 5 days but I would taper the week befroe to prepare for the 5 races. Often race 5 would be a PB.

10/06/2013 at 14:48

Don`t think about it so much as `tapering` but `peaking`. In order to peak for an event, there`s a good chance that training ought to be less in volume to ensure fatigue is not a negative factor so I`d `taper` for any race that I wanted to perform well in.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.