Target time for my first 10km

21 to 26 of 26 messages
11/03/2013 at 14:03

Hitting some decent pace there, Tom in the quicker KMs. Good news on the ankle too.

Good luck on Sunday, and look forward to hearing how it went.

A 40 second 5k PB for me on Saturday with a 21:57 at parkrun - so that's your next target after you raise the 10k bar again on Sunday!

15/03/2013 at 00:10
Thanks Bob.
I've decided to cut it right back this week. Just did 5 on Wednesday and will do 5 tomorrow. I don't feel as fresh ss I'd like but I can't complain. Feeling confident though. I can't wait.

Next Saturday I'm home from uni and have a parking run five minutes away so will go to get a 5km time too.

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
15/03/2013 at 09:30

Sounds a sensible approach.

I'd suggest making that last run before your race at predominantly an easy pace as it's too late for any training benefit anyway and you just want your legs to keep turning over. I did put a few strides (3 sets) of a couple of hundred yards apiece at around my target race pace to remind my legs what I wanted from them on the Sunday, and this had me absolutely chomping at the bit to get to the start line.

I did this the day before my race, but can't think of any reason why you shouldn't make it today if that's your personal preference and then rest up tomorrow. My thinking was I might be a bit restless with nervous energy on that final day if I didn't do something.

Once again - good luck. 

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 09:34
17/03/2013 at 11:26
Haven't suffered like that before. It was chucking it down. 2 laps of the course, and there was an absolute mud bath on one of the back straights which was so hard to trudge through!

Never one for excuses though. Finished in 43:59. If I didn't have your time to aim for, I wouldn't have broken 45 mins so thanks a lot
17/03/2013 at 22:49
Excellent stuff, Tom!

I felt sure you'd be beating my time, but that's a superb effort first time out to dip under 44 mins.

Well done indeed.

I'm lining up my second 10k in a couple of weeks on Easter Monday, and will have it all on to get anywhere near that!

Good luck at Parkrun next week if you go ahead with that. I should be back out trying to lower my 21:57 PB too, though a potentially boozy Friday night won't be helping much!
18/03/2013 at 00:08

Thanks. 

I'm planning on doing the park runs while I'm at home (there's not a close one at university in Loughborough), and then building up mileage at the same time. Target time calculators suggest I should be aiming at a sub 1:40 half marathon, so need to get down to some proper training now if I've got any chance of that.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.