Tempo training

5 messages
29/12/2002 at 21:38
Can some one please tell me how I should be running a tempo training session correctly. I have started running again in September after a 10 year lay off and upto 30miles per week and would like to introduce speed training into my training programe. When doing a 40 min tempo run should I maintain a constant speed at 10k pace or should I be increasing the speed during the run to a peak and maintaining it for how long?
Your help is much appreciated
G.
30/12/2002 at 10:24
I'm not too sure about tempo running but I think it varies depending on what you're training for.

I believe you should hold the pace you're aiming for rather than increae it. As it's not a speed session and you should feel capable to of doing the distance again once you've finnished.
30/12/2002 at 17:33
I think of tempo runs as speed training practising the pace you're eventually wanting to race, and holding that pace fairly consistently for a period of time, as opposed to speeding up. If you're training for a 10K race, 40 mins sounds quite a long time at 10 K pace, unless that included a mile warm up/warm down.

I'm currently using tempo runs for 1/2 marathon training with good effect, usually do 8 miles at or slightly faster than my target race pace. In theory you should cool down at the end with 1-2 slow miles, but I tend to skip that out of impatience.
30/12/2002 at 18:18
I usually do a mile or so slowly to warm up, then a mile speeding up, then 4-5 miles or 30-40 minutes (dending on what i'm training for) at speed (too fast to hold a conversation, but slow enough to gasp out short sentences), then do a mile or so slow down/cool down.
30/12/2002 at 23:01
Thank you for the advice P.M,L.L and D.S. Iam training for the London and it seems that 40mins at 10k pace is a little fast. Thanks again
G.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.