The 2011 Marathon Tread

61 to 80 of 5,825 messages
HM4
03/01/2011 at 17:32

Freemers,

Well done & luck with fitting everything in.

03/01/2011 at 18:27

Freemers nice improvement in a week I'm hoping to do it this weekend but find that although it's a flat course there are quite a few sharp corners and  with the last lap you can get caught up in the slower runners.  No, I won't be doing Wymondham 20 as tempted as I am.

jasond - This year I am taking one rest day a week however good I am feeling.

chickadeee - Well done on the three hours. I always wear a Garmin but only look at it when the mile beeps. It never effects my pace as I run by effort and just use it for feedback. Do you usually run by heart rate?

03/01/2011 at 20:20
Hi everyone! It's nice to see those long runs building up

15.5 miles for me this morning. It was colder and a bit icy in patches.

Back to work tomorrow and the serious training begins. I'm just finishing off the last of the wine and the cheese. From now on it's all healthy stuff until April 17th (well mostly).
03/01/2011 at 21:11

Just booked my place in Amsterdam, my sister is doing the half so should be fun.

Mr Spoons I will be healthy once I've finished my Christmas chocs, well done on the long run.

Did an easy 4 miles today, planning something faster tomorrow. Last day of hols.

Any word on how Gobi got on with his marathon & which one?

Zion - on the rest day thing, I was thinking of cutting out the rest day this year. Do you think that leads to injury? 

F

03/01/2011 at 21:31

6 mile recovery (hint to everyone, don't do 6 miles only a couple of hours after curry and rice) Feeling lots better now lol.

Gobi came first in the marathon i think.

Freemers well done on your result.

Jason like you I need the recovery runs but also find the swimming is helping,

Mr Spoons nice long run the snow is back here but hope it's away by the morning.

Fiona well done with your running enjoy your speed session tomorrow.

03/01/2011 at 21:48

Fiona C - I have decided to have a rest day as I am hoping it might help in avoiding illness more than injury really. I found I could run quite a few weeks without feeling as though I needed a rest but wonder if I did actually need it after falling ill just before my two planned marathons. I never really got back into proper training for Newcastle and got to the start line for that one! My own little experiment

03/01/2011 at 21:59

Fiona- well done on Amsterdam- should be flat, fast and fun! 

Zion- makes sense

Mr S- healthy eating for me too! I've thrown the Xmas cheese in the bin- and there was a lot left!! No more alcohol except for Valentine's day and my birthday before VLM! Got to try to work out how to shed weight but still keep enough energy for runs- thinking that carbs and protein with a little oily fish (omega 3/6) and milk (calcium) is the way forward

Realised that this year's VLM is at the beginning of Easter holidays, so really making an event of it and I've just got my card out and booked a holiday cottage for the whole family near St Albans for a week starting the day before VLM- 30 mins train journey from St Pancras, but more family friendly than central London (and cheaper!!)

Edited: 03/01/2011 at 22:01
03/01/2011 at 22:26
26.5 mile race as it turns out, ran 3.02.18 for sub 75% HR effort :¬)

Went through marathon in 3.00.30 and finished in 3.02.18.

Really easy day, jogged the first lap to make sure a few other runners could get round the course and took the lead around 12 miles. Pace and HR remain steady throughout the run.

ps. My long runs start at MP + 120 and sometimes get as fast as Mp + 60. Obviously I sometimes put MP in my long runs but not all the time.
03/01/2011 at 22:43

Gobi- well done!! Again!!!

I'm confused now about what pace to run at- so much advice from everywhere!! Happy to put in as much effort as needed- just want to make sure it's in the right places Following P&D at the moment, but G's LRs much slower, while other guys i know are busy tearing around the countryside every weekend at sub 7.30 for long runs

Edited: 03/01/2011 at 22:45
03/01/2011 at 22:59
Well done again Gobi

Jason - don't forget the fruit and veg! A thought - are all the people that say LSRs should be MP+30 or MP+45 winning as many marathons as Gobi?
03/01/2011 at 23:26
Jason - I just looked back to 2008 where I ran my best marathons.

My best marathon pace that year was 6.01 and my fastest long run in the whole year was 7mm avg which was a fartlek with paces from 8.30 mile pace down to low 5.xx

My slowest long run avg pace was 8.38 and this was for 20 miles so not even a long long run.

I firmly believe in aerobic conditioning and believe that nearly everyone does the long run too fast too often and too early in the training plan.

Night all.
HM4
04/01/2011 at 07:40

Gobi,

Well done.

Mr Spoons & Jason,

I've noticed that regarding paces.  I tend to use McMillan Running to work out my paces as that gives a band.

04/01/2011 at 08:49

7 miles this morning with 1 mile warm up 5 miles tempo 6:18 pace and 1 mile cool down all on the treadmill at work.

Gobi well done with your win, you make sub 3 sound like a stroll the park.

Jason nice running and it sounds like you have found a great spot for a week, we are staying for 5 days again and doing more sight seeing and going to take in a couple of shows.

04/01/2011 at 10:20
NP - sub3 is a long way from my best so I guess for me it is but I firmly believe it is due to time devoted to aerobic base.

What is the everage pace of your training?

It strikes me that you always seem to be running fast.
04/01/2011 at 12:46

Great start to the year Gobi!

Managed what the schedule said - Treadmill run 3 lots of 2 miles at 6:30mm pace with half mile recoveries. 9 miles in total. Hard going, shows that I need to improve a lot but that's ok.

Nice tempo NP.

Wise decision Zion, got to stay well to run.

Like the holiday plans jason. Nice to have something to look forward to.

F

HM4
04/01/2011 at 15:52

NP & Fiona,

Well done.

04/01/2011 at 17:30
Still sick haven't run properly for getting on for a month  
HM4
04/01/2011 at 17:41

(((Joe)))

Hope you feel better soon.

04/01/2011 at 17:55
That sucks Joe, what is wrong ?

I am off for a run now
04/01/2011 at 18:00
I've just put an interval session into my Garmin.  Now to go and run it
61 to 80 of 5,825 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.