The 2014 Marathon Thread.

1,041 to 1,060 of 1,745 messages
HM4
09/03/2014 at 19:19

Tek & Mathschick,

It's not complicated.  It's just an opal with a princess cut CZ stone each side in a rubover setting.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/115491/gallery/ring4rw.jpg?width=350

NP,

Thanks.

09/03/2014 at 19:45

HM4 nice ring

For all those who know Jason D just check out the result of his Ultra race on Fetch Fanbloodytactic. 

09/03/2014 at 20:23

HM - Nice ring

Mace - That's an awesome time Well done!

mathschick - Well done on the half 19 degrees? It was absolutely hammering down when I was out! Hopefully that sort of weather stays south of the border for the next month! That's about as warm as it gets here in summer, with the noteable exception of Edinburgh Marathon day when its guaranteed to be about 40 degrees...

Stewart - Nice long run, and I bet it feels good to bag a course best on a training run!

I'm going to attempt around 7:45 at Lochaber. I'd like to think I could maybe run 3:22 (7:42)if it all comes together on the day Are you looking at 8:45?

09/03/2014 at 20:26

Inverness Half Marathon Race report 2014.

Today was all about nailing a pace for the upcoming marathon, can’t believe it is only 4 weeks away, so the plan for the day was to do five miles easy before the start and then run the HM at marathon pace.  I got myself down to the sports centre and registered before eleven, once I had done that I did the five miles on one of the many jog Scotland routes I do, of course there had to be a hill, so a wee stroll up Godsdman brae to get the heart a pumping, got the run done in under fifty minutes and met up with a few folk from the group, some of them spotted me out and thought I was completely nuts going for a run before a race.

The Race

We were led down to the start a bit too early in my opinion, the lady taking the warm up finished around ten minutes before we were sent on our way.  Eventually we were off, it was a bit congested at the start and a few runners cut across me and almost sent me flying within the first mile, this did irk me a little, none the less I settled down into a comfortable pace and tried to keep myself out of mischief.  After the first mile we turned down the riverside and along Island Bank Road, as per usual I got chatting to a fellow joggie for a bit and I did let the pace slide a little (8:42, 8:47, 8:51).    Took on board some water at the aid station and the route climbed gently out of the city towards Torbrek, I was feeling strong here and I push on up the inclines overtaking plenty, perhaps I got a little carried away, what a difference a year makes at this point last year I was feeling awful and had a stitch, managed to up the pace considerably in this part of the course and got to six miles in fifty two minutes (8:39, 8:37, 8:18).  I took on some more water just past the six mile marker and took a gel, I was still feeling strong and the breathing was under control and felt comfortable so decide to stick to around 8:30mm pace for the remainder of the run.  During the eighth and ninth mile I noticed the wind for the first time it wasn’t particularly strong but I knew it would come into play in the closing stages down by the river (8:27, 8:34, 8:46).  Only four to go and it was back down onto Dores Road, got into a good rhythm along here and I was still picking off runner ahead, which was good for the confidence, there was plenty of support passing by the Islands and with fewer than three miles to go you could hear the music on the other side (8:08, 8:32). Two miles to go we were back into the city centre turning back onto the opposite side of the river I started to feel fatigued, but I continued to push on past Eden court and then we were alongside the Bught and thankfully into the last mile, a familiar stretch of road that I’ve run many times, finally the sport centre was in sight as I passed the ice rink, “Not long to go now” came a shout from the crowd, don’t you just hate that saying! (8:32, 8:29).  The finish was on the track and of course you have to put on a show for those that were watching, crossing the line in 1:51:52, and much too my surprise a course record(0.07mi, 6:38).

The main lesson I’ve learnt from this run, 8:30mm pace is probably a bit out of my reach for Lochaber even though it felt ok, the last two miles were harder than they should have been, so I’ll look to run in the range of 8:45 – 8:50 in a month’s time.

09/03/2014 at 20:36

Great report Stewart, well done. Gutted that I missed it again - last year due to appendectomy, this year illness- not ran a half for two years the last one being Inverness. I would love to know if I could get a new PB....

09/03/2014 at 22:22

Fiona- Hoped you enjoyed your cycle.

SM6- .11 miles unfueled so not going to match what you could have done with a bit of porridge but good running. Enjoy your 18 and a gel or two tomorrow.

NP Good to meet someone to run with on your long run. Solid stuff.

Tek Good run in the heat.

Maths- Well done. The heat today was completely unexpected.Sounds like you were sensible and responded to conditions. And you got a bacon bap too..result.

Mace - Great PB not surprised you'r' shattered enjoyed your race report on the other thread.

HM4 good to hear you got out. Yes lets see the ring..

Race Report MK Half Marathon

Breakfast of porridge and banana. Started off dressed in a tank and capris but decided that was just ridiculous in March. Changed into a long sleeved top but not long tights. Drove into MK and parked very easily. Too early really it was about 9.15 but I quite like to soak up the atmosphere and I had time to check out if I knew anyone on the ski slope. 

Bit of a jog to warm up. I always warm up better when my sister is there but all alone today. I did make more of an effort than normal though.

The race was set off in two waves 5mins apart based on a predicted sub 2:00 or over 2:00. I was in the second and we set off about 10 mins late. Very slow start as quite congested. Had to scoot up the verge to get a bit of space.

Pace felt really good but I knew I was faster than I had planned. kept telling myself to slow down but felt quite comfortable.

Support around the course was great as the weather was so nice. I particularly liked the lad with a full drum kit outside his house in Woolstones. Route went through very nice parts of town/ parkland and was very enjoyable. I should have stuck to the vest I had dressed in to start with. I was hot in my long sleeves. 

Mostly I was passing people which felt good. Kept worrying that I might be too fast to keep it up. About mile 6 is tucked in behind 3 runners who were running together and setting a pace which was more like where I thought I should be. I planned to stick with them but after 3 or 4 miles they seemed to be slowing so I pulled away and picked up the pace a bit. I knew to expect a hill at the end. In fact the course gained 144ft elevation from mile 11 to the end. On the worst bit of it lots of people were walking, but I kept running. By then I could see that I was looking like getting a PB if I didn't let the hill do me in. At the 400m marker I knew I had done it and found the energy to pick up the pace again and push through the finish. Had 3 SIS gels during the race. That worked well. My HRM chaffed a bit...its not done that before. First race with a Garmin....fantastic.

Didn't see anyone I knew at the finish which is probably just as well as I was feeling a bit emotional. The medal was nothing special and only a bottle of water at the end. I really wanted something sweet. So I popped to Morrisons on the way home  in my race number and medal and bought some snickers ice creams to share at home. 

Chip time

2:11:28. Beat a 5 year PB by 1:32. and last years HM by 15:17

Splits

You can see where the hill took its toll...

9:54

9:59

9:43

10:40

9:52

10:27

10:10

10:15

9:55

9:41

10:43

11:24

A couple of days rest and lots of stretching now.

I managed to change some unsuitable shoes yesterday under Sweatshops 30 day return policy. Obviously didn't race in them but yesterday was thinking I might give them a little try out jog this evening.....oddly just didn't feel like it after all.

Have a great weeks running everyone.

Edited: 09/03/2014 at 22:26
09/03/2014 at 22:31
Hey all, too many posts to comment on but enjoyed the two reports, well done Barbara and Stewart C.

Well after a day/night of drinking with the Scotland v France game in between, I managed to get in my planned 15 miles. Up at 7:30 for my porridge and water then headed out at 10!! Did 15.1 miles in 2:18:30 @ 9:09 pace. Ran with the gels for the first time, tried the SIS gels. Has the caffeine one just before headed out then the isotonic ones at 1:05 and 1:45, didn't need the third as nearly home when should have taken it, no averse effects so happy with that too.
09/03/2014 at 22:34

Fab report Stewart and great course best!! I managed to miss the whole thing. Barbara well done on your PB!! 

Nice ring HM4, if I was Chris I'd be worried about doing such short runs. In fact I feel anxious just thinking that he is so close and not up to 9 miles!! 

Stuart great MP! 

Impressive long runs NP and Teknik (race!!) 

mathschick well done on your half too. 

mace such an amazing result by you - very well done! 

Cycle for me today to the other end of Loch Ness - out into the wind, very exposed on the higher ground. Over 1200m of ascent. Stopped at Fort Augustus for soup then back in a hurry when I realised I had a massage appt at 5pm. Got a flat tyre a mile from the car and no idea why my bike felt totally out of control on a busy road! Around 67 miles and there was one 2:08mm!!  Sports massage fairly positive.

F

HM4
10/03/2014 at 09:19

Fiona,

I've told him he's doing 10 miles in 1 go next weekend.

Barbara,

Photo of it is further up the page. Great report.

Stewart,

Great report.

-------

Well done guys.

10/03/2014 at 13:22

Stewart and Barbara - Great race reports, well done guys!

Fiona - Sounds like a tough day out! That 2:08 mile would terrify me! I hit 27mph, for about half a second, on my bike coming from parkrun and that was bad enough!

Colin - Good long run after a heavy Saturday!

-------------

17 miles for me this morning. Should have been 18 put pulled up with a cramping pain in the right thigh. Think it's my groin. No point in battering through it. I hope it's just because I was likely a bit dehydrated since it was actually reasonably sunny and even warm in places!

57.5 miles for the week.

10/03/2014 at 15:56

Well done mace. great time

Well done Tek

Well done BD2 and StewartC. Great reports.
Nice PB and PCB
All the best for Lochaber Stewart

I believe I once hit 40mph on a bike downhill. This was in student days ie long before GPS (and cycle helmets). Speed was noted by friend who happened to be following in car. Exhilarating then but I would be terrified now.

Good 17 SM6, definitely wise to call it a day thereafter.

Nice long run CL4

Just 12 for me today but taking in our local hill. Blue skies, bright sun and wind under 20mph. Still only 8°C but you can't have everything

10/03/2014 at 19:54

SC great race report and well done on the course record with a nice 5 mile warm up with hills Well done again mate.

BD2 great race report liked the way you tucked in behind three people and used them until they slowed down, a massive well done again on your PB and I'm sure there is still more to come

Fiona thats a great cycle both in miles and time glad your feeling good after your massage

SM6 well done on the 17 miles ni e change in the weather  And funny we can go from not needing to drink because of the cold to needing it due to the heat, we are just not used to the sudden change. Casting one eye already to the five week weather forecast for London. Great weeks miles.

OH nice to be out in the sunshine well done on the 12 miles.

Rest day here so just my mile swim and 1 hour core/stretching later on 

10/03/2014 at 20:26

Barbara and Stewart - well done on  the races and great race reports

HM - nice ring

legs and everything feel good today but I have taken things easy, just a low resistance high cadence turbo session to loosen the legs up

MG1
10/03/2014 at 20:59
Stewart great report and race
Barbara super PB, well done
OH good 12 sounds a nice day
CL4 good run that after a day at the rugby
Fiona thats a great session on the bike
NP nice easy rest day
SM great weeks total and sounds like you made the right decision
Mathschick nice loosener on the turbo

9 m extended Tempo at 7.28 av, nice run in the light after work.
HM4
10/03/2014 at 21:04

Mathschick,

Thanks.

--------

Well done guys.

11/03/2014 at 09:37

Nice 10 mile run with 1 mile warm up in the fog and 1 mile cool down in the sun

Splits: 7:33 6:28 6:17 6:54 6:19 6:51 6:23 6:29 7:05 7:30 (wu,tempo,Mp,tempo,Mp,tempo,Mp,cd) Legs feeling great think all the core work is helping Will look to run the Larne half at 6:20 ish pace. All good here

Out later for an east 5 miles. Enjoy the sun

11/03/2014 at 10:41

Kaz, shame you missed the race again, and I'm sure a PB is more than achievable

BD2, a great report and a you ran it very well, congratulations on your new PB

CL4, well done with the 15, good to hear that you handled the gels ok

Fiona, I had a look at the route on Fetch, those hills make the one at Dores look like a pimple, that is some pace to got up to! I don't think I would feel at all relaxed traveling that fast!

HM4, thanks, how did Chris take the news, well I hope

SM, well done with the LR, and there is no point risking injury at this stage in the campaign, it is definitely getting warmer out

OH, sounds like a nice run at least it was in a blowing gale

Mathschick, hope the turbo session has helped with the legs

MG, a speedy tempo session well done

NP, a great run this morning, quick pace too, enjoy the recovery run later

-------------------------------------------

Body balance last night, which has helped get the legs feeling a little less battered, will be doing a JS sandwich tonight, with 4 before, 4 with the group and a 2 mile joglet home.

11/03/2014 at 11:19

Barbara - nice read, thanks and well done

Stewart - likewise, well done. I did the same run last year in a half, 5 easy then the race at MP. I felt very comfortable most of the way but the last couple of miles started to feel it. I had plenty left and could have gone quicker if i had to but was starting to work harder to hold pace. It turned out that my actual MP was about 10 secs slower. So, from your comment about feeling fatigue in the last couple miles, i'd say you have a pretty good MP prediction.

MG/NP - very nice tempo stuff guys

Stuart - i think the increase in temp caught me out a bit on Sunday. Calf cramps when i cooled down which is a first for me and i'm sure it was because i didn't take much water on in the race. Hope it's nothing to worry about for you, doesn't sound like it.

Colin - i couldn't do it after a day on the juice, well done

Fiona - 67M cycle at Loch Ness sounds fantastic. I must go there one day

OH - good 12

Just a sore toe after Sunday's race which seems to have cleared after icing it last night, a few ibuprofen and a 6M recovery this morning.

Edited: 11/03/2014 at 11:23
11/03/2014 at 17:21

MG1 missed your post sorry well done on the tempo mate

SC glad your legs are feeling a lot better enjoy your JS Sandwich tonight.

Mace hope the toe is ok and the recovery run and ibuprofen has done the trick

Second run legs felt good so did a steady run taking in a bit of a hill Back to the dentist tomorrow so it is an early swim and 13 miles hill run in the afternoon.

HM4
11/03/2014 at 18:13

Stewart,

He's accepted his fate!

---------

Well done guys.

1,041 to 1,060 of 1,745 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.