The Middle Ground

20,641 to 20,660 of 27,001 messages
17/09/2012 at 14:44

DrD, cracking the whip over your mileage, aren't you?!

PP, Ibiza, mess.  Perhaps.  Have a great time if we don't see you before.  Don't forget your pedals!  Curly, enjoy NY - I'll watch you on FB again, always a great inspirer of envy.

robT, you might be on to something dependent upon YD's mileage at LT and above.  If the trouble is in producing energy when H+ has built up gradually to difficult amounts, then a burst of easily accessible blood sugar might help, although if the effects die away in a mile or two it could leave your legs even heavier for the last mile.  Or just get used to the lactate build up through plenty of HMP and 10kP running!  And do 10x200m hill sprints...

prf, I like your ideas on the last week's eating before a race.  Didn't Horwill advocate fasting one day per week?  Not sure about that, but what about extending carb-depletion to one day per week??

EDIT: forgot to mention an easy 4 something miles today.  Saturday was rest day so today took up the slack.  Don't think I can fit in the second run though due to kid's commitments.

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 14:45
17/09/2012 at 14:46
Y D wrote (see)

Excellent run yesterday, excellent weekly mileage, adding in the quality at the end will be a big boost I recon. What’s the plan for Chester, treat it as a long run with a number or are you going to race it to a target based on where you think you are at the moment?

I definitely don't want to do it as a LSR ... hard to know how to run it for the best time but I think I'm going to attempt to run it at 8/m and see what happens ... that will get me to half way in a little under 1:45, over 4 minutes slower than last year but hopefully with the potential for an okay time, while avoiding risk of a melt-down. Last year I threw it away between 14 and 20, so I'll be extra careful at this stage.

parkrunfan wrote (see)
Dr Dan - 5:50am! You obviously fancied a lie in yesterday then? I'd already had my first run of the day and was sat down to coffee and croissants by the time you got your lazy arse out of the door.

Looks like I'll have to man up.

Hmmm, I quite fancy Snake Lane... got my PB there in 2011. Not pancake flat but a fast enough course. Injury prevented me running this year.

I'm also thinking about the "4 Villages" HM this year as an alternative to Brass Monkey.

17/09/2012 at 14:58

Maybe there is something in what you are saying prf, in light of Rob’s comment I think beer is the key fuelling strategy I missed out on!

Rob – not sure taking energy is necessary for a 1hour 22 effort, surely the body stores enough glycogen to cover that period of time? Ratzer, not going to argue with you on the energy front, maybe a sugar boost at 11 or 12 miles might work, don’t know, don’t understand the science. I think I would rather just work on getting the training right though.

prf – enjoyed the blog once again, interesting you did a deplete this week, I considered it during the week but didn’t bother in the end. Might give it a bash before my next race as a test.

Cant do Snake Lane Mr V, would love to do it but it clashes with Mrs YD’s birthday. As for your running just keep it very easy and keep ticking over, it will come.

Dr Dan – sounds a good plan, hope you can do it. I have heard of 4 Villages half, I think its got a good reputation.

My entry for the Lancaster Half has just gone in, think this makes me a glutton for punishment!

17/09/2012 at 16:47

Excellent racing over the weekend.

Curly - each to their own!  I personally wouldn't do mile reps that required me to stop at crossings.  I like to keep going when doing a session not have to cross roads!  I would have a mile loop or out and back and my warm-up/cool down would be to that place.

Thanks Dr D and Phil for the turbo stuff.

17/09/2012 at 17:02

Curly - Enjoy NY.  Smack that mile!

Dan - One helluva long run there.

Hilly - Just as an aside, do you have any options to use spinning classes?  For some reason* I find a very intense and sweaty 45 mins in a spin studio a lot more bearable than the equivalent time/effort spent on my own bike on a turbo trainer.  On the other hand, you've probably got more mental resolve than me, so carry on. 

I've done a bit more planning on the 10k front.  Telford probably isn't going to happen now as it clashes with a big XC fixture (South of the Thames Senior Champs 7.5M) but I'm pretty much 100% for Battersea Park on the 29th, and already looking at Chichester (5th Feb) as a warm-up race for VLM. Anyone done it?  Very fast course by all accounts.

*Possibly something to do with the new instructor who turned up at lunchtime today?  Hello! 

17/09/2012 at 17:04

Curly, I know vaguely the area you run in, but there has to be a 1mile uninterupted place do your 1mile reps. Stopping at crossings just kills the session dead.

I'll always do 200,400,600,800s on a track, but 1milers are fine on the road, if i get the chance to do a hard session at lunch rather than the evening, I'll embrace that, and the track isn't reachable at lunch!

17/09/2012 at 17:10
Phil - I've run the Chichester 10k, and whilst it's got a great final 3k downhill, there is a reasonably long climb (not steep, just long) from say 4-7k.
17/09/2012 at 17:25

YP/Phil, being down that way yesterday someone recommended the Chichester 10k.

Presumably the downhill 3k is what makes it so fast then? Provided the 4-7k bit hasn't sucked the life out of you?

17/09/2012 at 17:32

Another discussion point to throw in the mix re half marathon/marathon training:

Somehow I didnt notice yesterday that Simon Newton also ran a new HM PB of 1:13:16, which took him somewhat by surprise and he has run plenty of HMs.

So the question is: Just how bonkers is it after all to knock out 20 parkruns over two days?

17/09/2012 at 17:39

Curly - also without being picky I didn't actually say I laugh at people who use Garmins, my words were it makes me laugh when the Garmin goes wrong and they are thrown - very different meaning!  I too use a Garmin, but I certainly wouldn't be lost if it went wrong, but I can see it is useful for many different reasons.

Phil - yes there is spinning at my gym and it is an option.  I'll have to see what times the sessions are that fit in with work.  I think there's a session on Saturday I could go along to.

17/09/2012 at 17:42

PRF - BR is yet to see the benefits...  Also Simon has been doing higher mileage than he has done previous years so maybe that helped a little....

17/09/2012 at 17:48

Mr V - yes both BR and myself have entered Snake Lane.  It's my pb course, which funnily enough I did when injured, so still think I could get down and knock a little more off, but of course that would require me getting into tip top shape - plenty of time...

17/09/2012 at 18:37

Snake Lane? Sounds ominous..

17/09/2012 at 19:36

It's a really good flat (ish) 10 mile SG.  It is called Snake Lane because it snakes around the countryside - I think

TR
17/09/2012 at 19:40

Hilly - no probs, I'm sure it will do you good aerobically.

PP - chichester is very fast and very competetive, suffers from the wind less than the coastal races round here too as its inland a bit. Small climb at Lavant of ~50 yards and then a gradual downhill to the finish. See the race link I put on Stevie G's thread. CL's (from sub3) club were running a coach there last time I did it too, Marders took out 2nd place and then did an extra lap of the course with me and CL. 

17/09/2012 at 21:39

Hilly, for a moment there I thought you were having a case of the repeats again! 

Managed to shove in another couple of fast miles this evening by leaving the Boy Ratzer to his own devices then picking him up later.  Really felt like I *had* to do them, too!  Oh, no, it's too early in the plan for mileage addiction!

prf, the answer you're looking for is "very".

CP10 may be coming together for me.  I had thought a family w/e was in order but Girl Ratzer has a swimming tournament.  So as a solo I might be able to make it up, and as everyone else is otherwise occupied, it's only fair that I race...

17/09/2012 at 21:41

I have a feeling that CP is going to be one of those rare races where there are too many people to chat to!

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 21:42
17/09/2012 at 21:56

YP/TR - Cheers. The race calendar for early 2013 is shaping up quite nicely with a 10k, duathlon and a marathon pencilled in. A quick HM and a few XC fixtures and I reckon I'm there.

Not sure what state my legs will be in but I'm certainly looking forward to CP as a thread day-out.  Pretty sure I'll have a support crew turning up so if I do need to leave while the McFlurries are still flowing it's because my brother is cooking a roast. 

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 21:57
17/09/2012 at 22:19

I feel a little greedy, as it's pretty much 2 thread days out!

You'll be easy to spot Phil, one of those serious looking runners, rather than us chilled out types who just turn up off the cuff

18/09/2012 at 00:00

Another one here booked in for Snake Lane - bit of an annual outing for me.  Are there still a few on here doing the Abbey Dash?  I'm giving it some thought!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.