The Middle Ground

20,661 to 20,680 of 27,142 messages
18/09/2012 at 06:20

We intend to Wardi.  It'll hopefully be the come back race this year!

Ratzer - I don't think I've learnt the art of edit yet

Managed to get up at 5.30 for a small run this morning.  First in a long time, now to see if there's any reaction in my leg during the day - fingers crossed!

18/09/2012 at 09:01

Wardi - I'm a possible but only if I'm in PB shape by then.

Hilly - Fingers crossed for the leg.

18/09/2012 at 09:05

Wardi - I'll be at the Abbey Dash. If I can recover from Chester, I hope to put in a month of dedicated 10K training and give it a real go. Mind you I said that last year but never recovered from Chester.

I've entered Snake Lane.

Hope the come-back works out Hilly.

Edited: 18/09/2012 at 09:11
18/09/2012 at 09:16

Dr Dan - do you live Chester Area?

Did 11 miles "hilly off road" last night shocked again how muddy everywhere is are others finding it the same by them?

Track tonight 5* 800m (90 sec recov) target pace 5 min miles!!

Where and when is snake lane?

18/09/2012 at 09:25

Another one for the Abbey Dash here Wardi.

Rob – it has never really dried out all summer round here, seems that way to me anyway. Snake Lane 10 mile race is in Pocklington (near York), it is a popular race and seems to produce fast times, mostly flat, its at the end of Feb, it always clashed with Mrs YD birthday so I can never run it.

Have to say I am jealous of all the CP and Snake Lane talk, cant complain though, I have some good races coming up, I’ll find out tonight if the Redcar Half a week on Sunday is a possibility. Fingers crossed, I want to try a conservative start and aim for a negative split at Redcar to see how the legs cope in the final stages using that strategy.

prf – cracking time from Simon. You certainly wouldn’t find many coaches preaching the benefits of the 20 parkrun challenge but it certainly hasn’t done either of you any harm. Might work for me, kill or cure and all that…….

My quads are still very sore this morning, I don’t remember having this much soreness post race since some of my early races. Tells me two things, Sunday was a big effort and my legs aren’t strong enough. I think I will have to remedy the second part.

Edited: 18/09/2012 at 09:26
18/09/2012 at 11:05

Rob.. Snake Lane is 'out east' of York at Pocklington.  A couple of minor gentle climbs between 7-9 miles but it is a fast course.  Ricky Stevenson ran 48:03 the other year!

18/09/2012 at 11:23
robT wrote (see)
Dr Dan - do you live Chester Area?

robT - Chester is techncially my home town but I've been living in Leeds for over 20 years now. Still have relatives there but don't get back that often since my folks passed on. Is that your neck of the woods?

18/09/2012 at 11:36

Dr Dan - Yes I live in Kelsall nr Delamere Forrest!!

Wardi/YD  - Thanks for the Snake Lane info prob too far across for me!!

18/09/2012 at 11:41

rob - I've largely avoided off-road this year, mainly as a precaution for my hip but also because I don't fancy muddy squelchy stuff in my normal shoes. Will get back into the habit a bit more with XC coming up though.

Tempo run went well this morning, 10M w/ 7M at 5:37 and it was a bit windy. Final bit of packing - running shoes, Garmin, and I decided to pack my saddle as well as my pedals - and I'll be off after a quick lunch.  Meeting my mate a little earlier than necessary for a drink at Liverpool Street on the way to Stansted because ''we're on holiday''. 

18/09/2012 at 11:53
robT wrote (see)
Dr Dan - Yes I live in Kelsall nr Delamere Forrest!!

You'll be familiar with the 4 Villages HM then ... as I mentioned somewhere above, I may try that out instead of Brass Monkey. I think entries open 1st Oct.

18/09/2012 at 12:21

Dr Dan - Very familiar with 4 villages course my training partner lives in Alvanley and if we do loops around Delamere from his we take in chunks of the course. It fills up very fast so keep an eye on it if you fancy it!!

Hilly/BR - I was well beaten by a Barnsley AC runner on Sunday Gavin Felton V40 do you know him?

PP - have a great holiday in Ibiza don't try and party with the youngsters it could get very messy (Amnesia has a great Foam night!!)

A little note for the  mile boys my record survived another onslaught this weekend

18/09/2012 at 12:23

It's been muddy everywhere, including on the roads around me, and simply not drying out.  I'm pretty used to it, though it certainly makes the washing harder work.  It's hard not to permanently stain stuff just 'by mistake' - "I didn't intend to go through the woods but they just called to me..."

Just over 4m on road this morning.  Lovely day though it's clouding over now.  The cloud is supposed to be temporary.  6x200 this evening.  Probably go for unlimited recoveries, which never really mean what they say, but give you the impression of having had longer than 3 minutes, which is what they usually end up as.  If you say 3 mins recoveries people never think it's enough!

18/09/2012 at 13:36

YD, that HR is pretty high but you seemed to be maintaining it well. What HR % do you see for other distances?

A hills session of lower intensity but higher volume would probably hel some with strength endurance which might help towards the end of a HM. COuld be something for you to look at over winter (XC too of course!)

Dan, that's a great long run and at a strong pace too!

Good training from everyone else too. I know I'm generalising though...

Did my first light quality today to just get back into running quicker than easy, modified from the AAAC schedule - 5*1k starting one every 5 minutes. Not too taxing, 3'53/3'48/3'46/3'41/3'35 which is pretty quick for me, although I'm very rested right now. Felt more like cruise intervals than anything else. 

18/09/2012 at 14:58
Rob - we were just discussing ages over an Old Speckled Hen and I introduced the concept of "holiday age". I've decided I'm gonna be 31 for the week.
18/09/2012 at 15:11

PP - great idea I do that for running my "running age" is 23!!

18/09/2012 at 15:18

PRF, an excellent race and time for you. I like the idea that 20 parkruns in two days could be a new HM training approach.

Work has been getting in the way of life again, but I did manage a 5.5 mile run yesterday after 15 days off. Legs felt great!

At mile 4 I felt like I'd done about 12 and I have DOMS today! Some pre/post rest stats:

Before

Weight: 11st 1
Resting HR: 43
Pace for 135bpm: ~8m/mile

After
Weight: 11st 12
Resting HR: 56
Pace for 135bpm: ~9m/mile

18/09/2012 at 15:55

Duck some HR stats:

10k PB June: HR average of 181, 93%HRmax
GNR on Sunday: HR average at 6 miles was 173, 89%HRmax
It stayed fairly stable at 91-93%HRmax through to the end, for an overall average of 176, 90%HRmax.

Conclusions are that I think it was too high early on in the race on Sunday, but not crazily so, an easier start would have possibly allowed me to access higher heart rates later in the race. Would be interested to hear what BR, Phil and Dr Dan think to those HR stats (+ anyone else who records HR when racing)

BTW I didn’t look at my HR during the race, never do, I prefer to run to effort / pace but like to look at the data post race.

Just had a look at my HR when warming up on Sunday and it was a bit higher than normal, though I find warm up HR is always higher than the same pace in training.

Enjoy Ibiza Phil and less Ginsters all day breakfast’s for you I think Simon!

Edited: 18/09/2012 at 16:02
18/09/2012 at 16:20

Simon that's interesting. I put on half a stone over the 2 weeks myself and thought that was alot! I've also got terrible DOMS so perhaps the break is partly responsible for that - I was just assuming it was completely due to my mystery 'ailment' . My legs haven't feel great at any point though!

Phil - Enjoy your hols!

Good to see a few up for the Snake Lane 10. Possibly a chance to meet Dr Dan and Wardi

18/09/2012 at 16:41

YD, I've run 2 x 10 mile races and my average HR has been 185 / 92.5% MHR for both.

I never look at my HR before a race anymore. It's always high because of nerves and I start worrying about it.

Muesli for breakfast this morning

Mr V, I think half of it is water weight: I had lost 2 pounds this morning and going on past experience I suspect a few more will come off really quickly. I was a complete and utter pig My DOMS is not that bad - it's just strange to have it at all after a short easy run.

18/09/2012 at 16:54

YD ... my 10K PB was at 92% maxHR while my HM PB was at 88% maxHR (pretty constant for 3-12 miles, hitting 90% for the last mile). Quite a similar differential in the average values. You hit 93% maxHR by mile 9 (your 10K average HR), so probably pushed a little too hard and just went a bit into the red.

Simon... 15 days rest ... not 15 days of debauchery.  

MrV - will be good to meet you at Snake Lane.

I had another day off ... too busy ... but also pretty stiff from Sunday.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.