The Middle Ground

21,081 to 21,100 of 27,003 messages
09/10/2012 at 19:30

Very sorry for DrD for missing Chester.  If it's any consolation, I've got a more sorrowful way of attacking it - i.e. race a hilly parkrun the day before, spend the rest of the day on your feet watching XC races and then try to pace a friend round at current MP + about 45 secs.  Drop out after 23 miles (losing car key in the process) and walk the final three miles on battered legs feeling increasingly cold.

Some storming runs at the weekend - StevieG's good showing over 10k,  YD's big Sunday effort, MrV on the way back to fitness, Curly's parkrun, Kelly (does count as a comeback pb?)

PRF - were those other marathons run when you were in 74 min HM shape, rather than the 78 you are now?  That shows a much better execution.

In other news I'm switching clubs, but fortunately it will not require a change of forum name. Time for something fresh,

09/10/2012 at 19:31

Josh - sounds nasty, but at least you have something to help it clear up.  Enjoy the books.  I've read and enjoyed many running books over the years and never got bored with them.  I only wish I had more time these days to read more!

Phil - sub 70 is my goal

Stevie - sorry I seem to have missed your 10k, well done!

Ratzer - sorry missed yours too, which sounds like was not too pleasant an experience.  Hope nothing that is going to linger!

Wardi - I see you're putting in doubles

Dr D - good to see you're back to training with a goal in mind.

Another 5 miles for me this afternoon.  Building slowly

PRF - indeed, I think it takes a few years and no longer chasing pbs before people realise that racing lots is actually good for your fitness  No thinking on, I think I've always raced a lot, so maybe it's a mindset?

09/10/2012 at 20:04

BR, interesting with the club move? How come? If you're free to post it here obviously, no doubt being an "obvious forum presence" (which someone accused me of once!).

Presumably you have to go through the rigmarole I discovered a couple of years ago, of paperwork, sign off, £10 fee, risking a ban etc!

09/10/2012 at 20:08

BR - And will you have to change your name?

09/10/2012 at 20:24

Phil - Yep, far easier to keep it simple

Wardi - I think the highlight of Njord's day was when we went to the pub afterwards (which was something during the civil war) and he discovered that they served Staropramen.

Dr Dan - A good session to get over the Chester disappointment and nice work on the cunning plan for Saturday.

Ratzer - You'd make a good defence lawyer.

BR - You're quite right and it was the best execution of any marathon to date.

In other news, I'm changing clubs and it wont necessitate a foum name change because.....erm....I'll still be running pakruns!

09/10/2012 at 20:30

etc...

Edited: 09/10/2012 at 20:31
09/10/2012 at 20:33

(awaits the 3rd member of the Barnsley gang to also post about changing clubs.... )

09/10/2012 at 20:35

...hoping the new club is actually called The Barnsley Gang...

09/10/2012 at 20:37

Barnsley AC because you prefer blue to orange? 

09/10/2012 at 21:25
Dr.Dan wrote (see)
Ratzer wrote (see)
Well done everyone else on everything else!  Especially DrD on missing Chester.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/430220/gallery/finger.gif?width=350

You know it was meant in the best possible taste!   (I've borrowed the smiley, permanently...)  I have money on you going sub-40 at the Abbey Dash.

Club changes?  Sounds like a backstory just waiting to be made up, rumoured and gossiped about!

10/10/2012 at 06:27

The new club (yes indeed Barnsley AC) offers more focussed and challenging group sessions and a vision of team and club development looking towards relay and XC events. They also have a thriving junior section with the overview to link all the different elements of the club to make Barnsley a significant place on the running scene.  I'd like to be part of that.  I was with them from 2000-2006 when personal circumstances necessitated a change but, as some of the older hands like Wardi and Tom will remember, I was a very enthusiastic member during that period.  Very happy to be returning.

10/10/2012 at 06:41

In old news, I'm changing clubs and it wont necessitate a foum name change because.....erm....I'll still be running on hills starting in Locke Park tonight!

10/10/2012 at 07:25
Morning all,

Prf- great race report, but I think your attempt at numerological stattology was pathetic 3 out of 10, must try harder!

Josh - be careful with the leg. Running long distances whilst you are probably favouring the other leg will mess up your stride, and could cause problems all over the place. Sitting down with several good books sounds like a much better idea....

Wardi - do your American books give any useful advice on where to go when looking for sex late at night?

Dr Dan - sorry you missed Chester, but sounds like you're focussed on the next goal and I like the sound of that training session - I might borrow that as one of my quality sessions in the build up to Gosport

BR / Hilly / prf - hope the new club is as good as you expect.

I'm thinking I really need to join a decent club, and one of the benefits of my recent move is that my new local club is Dorking and Mole Valley AC, which seem to have a decent reputation and big junior section that I might be able to get my boy interested in.

If I join them do you think I ought to change my forum name to Dork? Or maybe Mole?

In running news, I did a very satisfying tempo run yesterday morning with Mile 1 at 8m/m, 4 miles @ avg of 06:55/m, mile 6 at 8m/m. The 4 miles at what I hope is somewhere around my 10mile/ half mara race pace felt like a solid effort, but sustainable, so im feeling optimistic about CP....
10/10/2012 at 08:39

Morning!

Interesting mass change of clubs in the Barnsley area! Will also be interesting to see if any of you have to serve a "suspension": we have discussed this at our club and given that athletics is now "open" to impose a ban may well be a restraint of trade. Now who is going to be the test case?

Personal news: I should this morning be going to have my Achilles op...however, and its a big however form where I am sitting, I went for some blood tests at the end of last week, and cutting a long story short follow up tests have found a lump on my prostate, so off to a different hospital for the day tomorrow for further investigation. Need to find a few more running books to read.

10/10/2012 at 10:48

Alehouse, I'm certain that if anyone actually took English Athletics to court, the whole club change process would be made easier immediately.

At the end of the day, clubs don't pay you, and the "contract" is basicallya  year's agreement.

Therefore, once you are "out of contract", how can an organisation which doesn't pay you, in effect hold your registration, and thus you are unable to move clubs freely and instantly as 1st claim.

10/10/2012 at 15:27

Alehouse - Jeez, thats the last thing you needed to hear. Wishing you all the best in the diagnosis...

10/10/2012 at 16:42

Alehouse  ... sorry to hear that

Anyone else joining Barnsley AC?

Good to hear you're building back up Hilly.

Nice tempo sess YP.

Ratzer wrote (see)
You know it was meant in the best possible taste!   (I've borrowed the smiley, permanently...)  I have money on you going sub-40 at the Abbey Dash.

There's a time and place for that smiley ... and that was it. Oh, and a lot of work to do before I'm anywhere near sub-40 shape!

5.4 miles easy/recovery for me ... legs are a bit on the mashed side.

10/10/2012 at 17:58
Alehouse - sorry to hear that, and I can understand why it feels like a fairly big however.

I'm sure others have told you this, but lumps in the prostrate are not uncommon in males of a certain age (don't know how old you are?), sometimes they are utterly benign, and even when they are not, they often respond very well to treatment and medication.... Both my father and my father in law have had lumpy prostrates, and both are still healthy and active, with no suggestion that that is going to change.

All the best for the follow up tests.
10/10/2012 at 19:35

Alehouse, apologies, i was reading your post minimised at work...hence me managing to reply on the less important of your 2 paragraphs!

hope all turns out well.

10/10/2012 at 19:52

YP: (or soon to be YoungMole?)...thanks for that most reassuring post. However at 58 and three-quarters I could do without the worry! It probably wouldn't be so bad if I could actually go for a run to take my mind off things!

Thanks everyone else for your comments (and apologies of course accepted SG). Will report back when I know anything.

Have bought this week's AW (gave it up a long time ago as I can get most of the results I want online): hope it is suitable hospital reading.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.