The Middle Ground

21,101 to 21,120 of 27,137 messages
10/10/2012 at 20:05

alehouse - thoughts with you and best wishes for it all being sorted!  No consolation I know, but I know of 2 others, both runners too who had the same and they are both back running now!

10/10/2012 at 20:24

All the best Alehouse, hope it's nothing serious.

11/10/2012 at 09:25

Alehouse – as has been said I hope it comes to nothing serious or is at least something that is treatable.

11/10/2012 at 10:18

Alehouse, may I join in with wishing you all the best!  I can't wait for you to come back on posting how everything is now going right!!

11/10/2012 at 10:49

Alehouse just read your posts hope everything goes ok and your back running very soon.

11/10/2012 at 11:52

Well that was largely a waste of time: did not have the tests that I was told I was having but an ultra-sound scan to check my kidneys were functioning properly, and they are, I'm pleased to say. Back next Thursday for the tests on the prostate, so another week of worry and the Achilles op that I organised for next Wednesday is to be postponed yet again. Will try not to mention my ailments until next Thurs!

Thanks for the kind wishes!

RobT: not seen you posting much lately...hope all is well.

11/10/2012 at 12:15

Alehouse  - been busy with work, buying a house and car and training everything is good thanks training picked up a notch last 2 weeks after slight scare with hammy (fortunately just a heavy cramp) did a strong track session Tuesday 4x1200m (2 min recov) in 3.56,3.49,3.46,3.42 and felt I had a fair bit in reserve certainly first couple of reps.

I am miles behind on what has been going on who's raced where and when so feel a little guilty missing so much!! Did notice PRF good run at Chester

11/10/2012 at 12:37

alehouse - All the best to you fella.

I've been pretty quiet myself.  Ended up working late last night and using that as an excuse for another, er, "taper" rest day.  (This taper is getting far too aggressive!) I'd like to get some race pace running in before Sunday to see how the calf feels, see what HR's doing, etc. so probably a tempo-lite run this evening with an emphasis on -lite, maybe 6M incl. 3M @ HMP?  Has to be said, I've certainly felt more confident going into a race, but at least I've already posted a decent HM time for the year. 

11/10/2012 at 13:17

So prf, BR, Hilly, who else have you got involved in this Barnsley AC coup d'état. Who is playing Fidel Castro?

Not been doing much running myself this week either Phil, it’s rubbish. Hope the tempo-lite gives you some confidence.
EDIT - removed my whinge, its merely a minor inconvenience.

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 13:38
WJH
11/10/2012 at 13:55

Hi everyone. Looking to contribute to a regular thread and thought I would post on this one seeing that many of you have similar goals, etc to myself. Cardiff half marathon for me on Sunday. Will post a little more prior to that if I get the time.

WJH
11/10/2012 at 16:05

Alehouse - I echo other comments. All the best.

Heads up to those wanting to do the Brass Monkey half. Entries open 7am on the 20th.

11/10/2012 at 17:07

Yep, spotted that ... lLooks like I'll be aiming for BM instead of the Helsby 4 Villages as it makes my taxi service more realistic, as my son's is playing hockey in Pocklington.

10.6 slow but very gruelling miles today ... the legs were not happy for the last few miles!

11/10/2012 at 17:36

Alehouse - my sincerest best wishes that all your health problems reach a satisfactory conclusion.

YD - my pacee from Sunday.  Maybe one other.  That makes 6 or 7 of the more competitive types crossing the floor of the House in the last year.  Horses for courses and all that.

11/10/2012 at 17:37

Mr V - thanks for the heads up for the BM.  I've been checking their website regularly but that must have just gone on.

11/10/2012 at 20:31

Josh, 90mpw is very impressive whatever way you look at it. What's your regular schedule - what time of the day do you run etc? I find nowadays I have to frequently get up before 6 to get the miles in, but it's gotten to the point where I don't notice anymore. Hope the spot is doing ok.

prf, I figured you would say something like that. I mentioned how I raced on two consecutive days at work and got some disapproving tutting! Although as you say they are often more hard efforts (Saturday certainly was) rather than all-out races. 

Nice session Dan. Hopefully parkruns at the weekend goes well.

Those switching clubs - sounds like you are doing it for the right reasons, and hope the transition goes well and it's a beneficial move.

YP, good session, sounds like around threshold/HMP effort.

alehouse..... that's awful news, I really hope it's nothing at all. All the best for the tests.

Wednesday for me was 5*80m hillsprints, 4 min rec. Wanted to do 6 but dropped the final one after feeling quite tired. Then today was 5M commuting which came out comfortably at 7:50/m even with my bag on which was nice. 

Plan for Saturday is to parkrun early then relays in the afternoon. Going to run it garminless (or at least turning the thing onto irrelevant fields) and see how close to 20'00 dead I can run (don't want to take too much out of the tank as the relays are the priority). 

So after havning not brought a pair of shoes for god knows how long I went and bought three pairs today - Adidas Adizero Cadence (long-distance track/XC spike, useful as a backup and at £25 a bargin), Saucony Progrid Kinvara 2 (amazingly light and minimalist & hopefully will be regular road shoes) and Saucony Kilkenny XC4 (new XC shoes). 

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 20:36
11/10/2012 at 21:21

WJH - welcome.  Cardiff's nice and flat isn't it?  Target?

Duck - You weren't inspired by my recent spike purchase were you?  Those Cadence look exactly like the Avanti I bought.  Bargaintastic, anyway.

Well, the tempo run was useful this evening... as in, I definitely won't be running GER on Sunday.    Good news is, the calf feels completely normal, but my heart rate was through the roof, suggesting there's a virus still lurking. It was also just more of a struggle than it should've been for the pace, although I didn't hammer it, which made the HR stats all the more telling.  The gory details: 6.2M w/ 3M at 5:37/m.  Nippy, but compared to a normal HM/tempo HR of around 173-175, HR was already up to 179 after a single mile, and max'd at 186. In fact, average for the tempo section was higher than my recent 5,000m race PB.   Just hope I can shake it off before XC/CP next week.  Ho hum.

11/10/2012 at 21:28

I should be at the York BM all being well.

Sorry to hear that PP, hope you can shift it for the next big one.

Best of luck on Saturday Duck, nice early warm up for you.

BR.. I know Treadmill still runs for Barnsley AC, is Mark H still with them?  (can't remember his forum name!).

12.7m run home from work last night.  Just done 7m on the treadie with 6 x 1k @ 6:15 pace - with half an eye on a sub 20 5k!

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 21:29
11/10/2012 at 21:34

I came VERY close to wangling a trip to London for the Cabbage Patch 10. But it fell at the last hurdle.

11/10/2012 at 22:22

How did that work, Dr Dan? Did you keep repeating the request 'Please lettuce go?'

12/10/2012 at 06:25

Wardi - yes he was in the group we ran with last night, led by the admirable Mr Brooksbank.  In fact he was knocked off his bike the other month, just like a young lad at AC featured in the local paper and a lady who was tragically killed last year.  It's really not safe on Barnsley roads.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.