The Middle Ground

21,121 to 21,140 of 26,785 messages
12/10/2012 at 06:42

Wardi - yes MH still runs for them.

WJH - I did the full Cardiff marathon a few times, shame it's no longer on!  The half used to be the same course, but obviously done once, not sure if it's still the same course though - finised in the stadium?

Dr D - that's a shame.

Hope it's nothing that lingers PP!

I went for a run with AC last night and had a fantastic run, best one since I got injured.  I did a short hill session the night before, only 3 x 900m (ish) and although feeling unfit the leg was able to cope well with the downhills, which was my concern more than the ups. So last night went along to AC for what I thought would be a steady run, but it turned out to be a bit faster than steady for me and that was on the sections where we weren't working up hills or then doing  'crocodile' reps.  A great feeling afterwards of satisfaction from running various paces (no idea what paces) just hard change of pace over a continuous 8 miles.  Pleasingly the leg has held up to that too, with a slight ache but nothing more.  So a nice very slow easy run today and that will bring me to 5 runs in 5 days - way to go

12/10/2012 at 07:37

Hilly - Your 5 out of 5 has coincided with my 0 out of 5. I'm avoiding you at any parkruns in the near future, I remember the last time this situation arose at Harrogate.

12/10/2012 at 08:06
Alehouse - all the very best. Hope these health issues are promptly sorted.

Sorry to hear you're not racing Phil. Could the high HR not just be a result of not having run very much in the last couple of weeks as opposed to a lingering virus?

Has anyone received their CP race pack btw? Still waiting for mine.

Also hope to be at BM.
12/10/2012 at 09:48
Hilly: good to see you getting back...onwards and upwards. how's the old fella going at the moment?
12/10/2012 at 10:00

Jase - I do think lack of running may have contributed to higher HR, but I didn't really feel right either, and my "beats per mile", including easy runs, has been way over 1,000 all this month, i.e. since getting back from hols, when it should be in the low 900s.  And I've committed to going round my dad's for a spot of Sunday roast now. That'll make me feel better. 

Also, I've not had anything through for CP.

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 10:00
12/10/2012 at 13:11

Sounds good Hilly. I hope the move pans out for you guys, certainly sounds like you were all ready for a move. Hope there no acrimony with those that you left behind.

Duck – nice shopping there.

Shame about cabbage patch Dr Dan

Shame about the race Phil. I am sure you will be fighting fit before too long.

Welcome WJH

Wardi – might be at York parkrun tomorrow for a steady effort, will do a couple of miles before and one after to make up the miles, let me know if you fancy it, it wont be fast as I have a tough run planned on Sunday. We are taking junior to the Railway Museum and Mrs YD suggested I get a parkrun in while in the area  Cant complain at that!

Looks like I am doing 16 with some at MP on Sunday, should be fun!

12/10/2012 at 13:27

Sounds like there should be a good crowd for Brass Monkey then.

Phil – Shame you are not fit for GER. Good news on the calf though

YD – Sounds a toughie for Sunday. Better not carried away at parkrun tomorrow then. Remember York parkrun starts at 9am not 10 past . Actaully its York races tomorrow - might be worth double checking the parkrun is going ahead?

Hilly –Really glad you are back in the swing of things.

Duck – You won’t be going short on running shoes then! I’ve just bought some £20 XC spikes from start fitness, plus free socks and free bag. Bargain! I think they are about 3 seasons old but because of my freaky size feet they obviously haven’t been able to shift them until now . They fit like an absolute glove as well.  

Training still going well for me. I’ve ran the last 8 days clocking up 81 miles. Tough hilly fartlek session last night. Going hard up every hill I could find and recovering on the downs. Rest day today and I think the legs will thank me for it. Trying to decide whether I should parkrun tomorrow or opt for the lie in instead

12/10/2012 at 13:29

YD - How about coming to Dewsbury 'on your way' to York considering that York is cancelled due to horses on a horse racing course? Whatever next?

Very disappointed that I didnt at least get a pained groan for the lettuce comment!

Oh yes, and welcome WJH.

No CP stuff here either. Maybe we collect on the day?

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 13:32
12/10/2012 at 13:40

PRF.. agree about the horsey stuff, it's an outrage!  FYI there is a 5k on bonfire night on the Knavesmire organised by Ratrace, I assume a similar course.  A mere £22.50 to enter, a bargain at circa £7 a mile!  You do get to run around in the dark during a mega firework display, goody bags & t-shirts are given out etc.  Or of course you could just do a Parkrun for nowt!

BR/Hilly.. just remembered his forum name - Legionella!

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 13:41
12/10/2012 at 13:47

Wardi - We did the 20:20 parkrun Challenge at York in the middle of the Tote Ebor meeting, it would be okay running a parkrun tomorrow but I suppose theres no real need when there are 50 others during the year and plenty others in close proximity.

We discussed that Ratrace a while back. There are free 5K runs and there are free fireworks displays available. But somehow when you put both together it becomes £22.50.

And you can bet that there will be plenty people falling for it......

And in other news, after having 3kg worth of post marathon 'refuelling'   I think I'm all pigged out now. Take the food away.......

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 13:50
12/10/2012 at 14:04

Would love to prf, but we are heading to York anyway on Sat so no can do on the Dewsbury parkrun, dont think Mrs YD would sanction that kind of detour! However will be up for a smackdown when you are ready, I need to ‘officially’ tick Dewsbury and Huddersfield off my parkrun to do list at some point.
Have you got any race plans  yet? You need to get those 3ks off, I don’t want you to have too many excuses when I whup your ass!

Probably not a bad thing its off Mr V, might be better with a few easy miles before tomorrows effort.
Good news things are coming back for you, amazing how much difference diet makes! When are you racing next?

Ratrace sounds a bargain Wardi!

5miles before work this morning and I have just done some strength and core work for the first time in ages, hope to make it a regular thing from now on.

12/10/2012 at 14:14

YD – I have a X Country and club handicap on 27th and 29th. If they don’t count my next proper race is town moor 10k on 11th Nov.

Wardi - £22.50 for a 5K . Not sure even Great Run are that bad....

12/10/2012 at 14:29

YD - Has Mrs YD got a barcode printed out yet?

And as far as smackdowns are concerned, the first time that I'm likely to be any kind of decent shape will be Abbey Dash where thee, me and Tom Williams are going to crack sub 36........

My only other real aim before the end of the year is to get a comeback PB over 10 miles somewhere to tidy up my Po10.

Mr V - Excellent news that you are now able to handle that kind of mileage with no ill effects.

12/10/2012 at 14:37

Sounds good Mr V.

prf - I thought you went sub 60 at sale last year? Let me know if you find a decent 10 miler, I might be up for a crack at my 10 mile time. There is one in Stockport (I think, somewhere in GM at least) in Dec. If memory serves its billed as undulating, of course that doesnt mean slow, just depends on how the hills lie!

parkrunfan wrote (see)
YD - Has Mrs YD got a barcode printed out yet?

Yes she has, I even laminited it a work for her

12/10/2012 at 14:47

Welcome, WJH.  Good luck at Cardiff.  I know a lot of runners there.

Nice miles, MrV.  It's good to hear you can sort these things and come out feeling really good.

Nice shoe purchasing, Duck.

Went to the doc's this morning after having not run all this week, since Sunday's xc.  Been having some gut issues that have meant recovery has been difficult - probably very similar to how MrV was feeling a few weeks back.  Bloods taken today, and immediately onto some meds that have made things feel a little better already, so hopefully nothing too serious and I'll be able to get in a few miles before CP.  No pack for me yet either.

Will be heading straight out from CP to the airport, and another week of treadmill training in a hotel.  Bah!

12/10/2012 at 15:53

Hope that err, passes soon Ratzer.

Just double checked the Ratrace 5k and it is infact £25 to enter (£27.50 on the day) plus £5 to park your car! (if pre-booked - £10 on the night!).

What's wrong with a tour of Dewsbury Y D?  While you're in the area you could take the wife around Batley, it's just up the road.  

12/10/2012 at 16:22

No good Ratzer

Wardi – the wife’s already seen Dewsbury twice! You can see all that’s good about it in the time it takes to run the Dewsbury 10k 
Someone once asked “what good ever came out of Batley” the answer was “Robert Palmer!”
I imagine he had left Batley by the time he wrote Addicted to Love!

Edited: 12/10/2012 at 16:23
12/10/2012 at 17:07

Thanks for positive thoughts!

Mr V - great to see you putting the miles in!

PRF - you do have a little excuse to card a 0 this week!

Tom - he's grand.  Running starting to pick up again, so won't be long before he's racing strong again. 

Hope you're feeling better soon Ratzer!

Wardi - yes, that was his forum name.

12/10/2012 at 18:11

Alehouse - good luck mate.  Unfortunately, I do not have anymore spare copies of my books to send to you.  It might be fitting/ironic to read it is not about the bike?

Quick update from me as my computer is playing up:
Swelling turned out to be from an insect bite.  Swelling grew and grew and ended up covering most of my back leg and was put into hospital for an operation.  Hope to be walking properly by the end of next week.

12/10/2012 at 18:52
Blimey the MG threadites are going through the wars at the moment!

All the best for a swift recovery Josh.
Edited: 12/10/2012 at 18:53
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.