The Middle Ground

21,201 to 21,220 of 27,137 messages
16/10/2012 at 18:45
Mr Viper wrote (see)

YD – Tyne Bridge Harriers.

Minni – I thought about doing it as second claim as I’d like to keep running with my current club socially. However I was told it was massive pain and not worth the effort. Did you find it fairly straightforward? I’ll be doing all the Harrier League fixtures I think so might see you there. I might be supporting on Sunday as well though not sure if I’d recognise you! One of my clubmates has suggested I run the last lap with him.

There's nothing hard about it. Which club said that, the one you're leaving (sour grapes) or the one you're going to (want you for themselves)?  Tynebridge seems to be a very fast growing club with lots of good runners so sounds like a good choice.   I was invited to run with my new club in their XC team and I offered to join 2nd claim because I felt it was right - plus I might have needed to be a member to run in the league.  I'm Chair of my current club and wouldn't want to leave them under any circumstance.  At the TM I'll be wearing my club vest, or t-shirt depending on how cold it is, in green and purple.  Wooler Runnig Club on the back.

16/10/2012 at 18:52

Xpost Kelly. That sounds good about BM.  Part of me wishes I could ditch the TM (which I haven't trained properly for anyway) and just concentrate on the half but I missed the marathon last year due to injury and really want to do it. 

16/10/2012 at 19:41
Every time I toy with the idea of the marathon, I'm very swiftly put off whenever I run up to Cowgate... and that doesn't even consider the wind. Yeah, the downhill coming back is nice, but I just couldn't face going up there 5 times at race pace.

Just a heads up, is your t-shirt an official one? We have a club tshirt with our logo and club name on the back, but we must wear our club vest for XC, otherwise it is a DQ. If it is cold and you wanted to layer you'd have to wear your vest on top of a tshirt.

Oh, never mind, I must learn how to read, you're talking about the marathon, not XC.
16/10/2012 at 21:49
I was talking about the marathon but thanks for the heads up re the xc. I guess I'll wear the 'other' club vest for that. Yikes - they are a lot more serious than I'm used to!

The hill isn't too bad. The worst thing about it is having to run on the grass going up and if it's wet it gets muddy. Last year I did a recce and found the pace I'd lost on the way up I'd made up again by the time is got to the bottom. I love the small and friendly nature of the marathon.
17/10/2012 at 06:44

Well done on your HM Minni - sub 1.30 for your next one seems a good realistic goal.

Glad to see things looking up for  you Kelly.  Is BM going to be your first road race back?

Running still going okay, but still not totally out of the woods.  I'm aware at times of a dull ache that makes me just hold off full on paces.  Also got a head cold so that and lack of fitness is my excuse in for CP.  So like PRF I'll be lucky to break 70 minutes.  Looking forward to it though as it seems ages since I last did a road race.

17/10/2012 at 09:13

Lot's of sandbagging going on for Sunday I see!

"Bishop of Barnsley" .... I like that one.

Any of the Yorkshire crew planning to run the Harewood 10M on 28th Oct? I'm trying to get it into the diary (but I'm not there yet).

I took a couple of days out after the parkrun as I wasn't feeling too great Sunday/Monday - another virus I think but thankfully it doesn't seem on the same scale as the last attack. Yesterday I'd planned a 10 mile with 8+ at MP but realsied very quickly that my legs weren't up to it, so down-graded the distance and added in some speed at the end to compensate. 4.4 miles, with 2.2M at MP (7:12/m) and 1M at 5KP (6:30/m).

17/10/2012 at 10:22

Minni - well done on GER.  I definitely want to get along to this next year!

prf - Phew!  Actually you don't hear much about beef curries (they like their cows alive I believe!) although my aunt cooked a mean one once, might have been a Delia recipe.

Duck - Nice track session.  Will you use spikes for all your track training now?  I'm keeping mine almost purely for racing although I'd like to try them out on some shorter intervals over the winter.

I've done enough sandbagging for CP already  - XC the day before, struggling to get back to full health... I think last night's session was a sign of progress. Pyramid 2/4/6/8/1k/1k/8/6/4/200 (6k total), 100/200 recovery between shorter/longer reps.  Half the guys had just run GER, no one particularly bothered about hammering it so I went with the flow.  34, 75, 1.53, 2.34, 3.13, 3.15, 2.35, 1.54, 72, 33. HR didn't go crazy and felt OK.  I might try a repeat of the Thursday short tempo run this week to compare HR, or just take it easy.

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 10:23
17/10/2012 at 11:06

Thanks for the insight into the Guy’s 10 miler Alehouse, it looks like a very good race for running quick times, surprised it doesn’t have a bigger reputation considering. Perhaps fast 10 milers don’t have the kudos they once did.

Good to see the comeback is in full swing Kelly

Minni – I agree sub 1:30 has to be a realistic target at BM.

No Harewood 10 for me Dr Dan, I have a XC race in Whitby on Sat 27th. Nice session considering the last minute change btw.

So Phil, you ran a tasty little session last night, you want to tempo on Thursday, race on Saturday and race again on Sunday. Is prf your new coach?

10miles @ 7:54/mi for me last night. Not enjoying running in the dark right now! Though I know from experience I will be used to it by November!

17/10/2012 at 12:40
Hilly - yes, I think it will be. I'm not prepared to travel for races at the moment. There is a 10k on Remembrance Sunday but that is my worst mental distance - which probably only means I should do more of them - but it is on aforementioned dreaded Town Moor and is hosted by by club, so unfortunately I'll have to marshall

There is a 5m in December that I'll likely do but that has been snowed off 2 out of the past 3 years and isn't strictly a road race (3 laps on ambulance track of a racecourse). I last did that in 2009 so I might get a pb this year after all since I only have to beat 35.12

I really miss racing, although the XC season will help and then please, please, please, I will hopefully have an uninterrupted 2013.

Take care of the leg. I often find the worst stage of an injury is when it is just about resolved and you're stuck between wanting to get on with things, yet afraid of a setback.

Dr Dan - sounds good, apart from the virus. What sessions do you have planned for the sub 40 assault?

Phil - can't even grasp the concept of your paces. I could do the 200m, but at sprinting pace and only once. Good luck at CP. I think you have an old 10M pb?

YD - I don't have to do much running in the dark, but the thing that always gets me is it is a bit like an out of body experience sometimes! Senses feel fuzzy and my spacial awareness is non existent, I always think I'm going to end up flat on my face. Fast sessions in the dark are awful due to all the junctions, traffic, ninja cyclists, etc. The dark itself doesn't worry me from a personal safety perspective.
17/10/2012 at 12:59
kaysdee (Kelly) wrote (see)
YD - I don't have to do much running in the dark, but the thing that always gets me is it is a bit like an out of body experience sometimes! Senses feel fuzzy and my spacial awareness is non existent, I always think I'm going to end up flat on my face. Fast sessions in the dark are awful due to all the junctions, traffic, ninja cyclists, etc. The dark itself doesn't worry me from a personal safety perspective.

That’s just it Kelly, felt weird last night, was never sure if a shadow was a hole in the ground or just a shadow. I was running on a quiet country lane with a head torch on which obviously didn’t help.

There is a small industrial estate on the edge of town that is always quiet at night and is reasonably well lit. One lap of the estate is just over a kilometre, so I think that will be the venue for most of my mid winter tempo sessions. This is the problem living in a small rural town, not that many street lit routes to run in the winter.

17/10/2012 at 13:03

kelly - Yeah, 1:00:07, so should be able to sort that out even if I'm not firing on all cylinders.  The final 200 felt quite zippy to me, till our 1:21 HM runner flashed by!  Think we might have to get him on a MD strategy for next track season. 

The main thing I've noticed with running on dark evenings is I need to consider how I'm approaching people I overtake on the pavements, especially lone females.  I'm a pretty stealthy runner, so best to give 'em a wide berth to prevent heart attacks. 

17/10/2012 at 19:50

Kelly - it's all soundind quite positive.  Fingers crossed for you having a good 2013!

I too get that strange feeling, but when running at dusk.  I find that stage between light and dark disorientating and have at times had to stop running as felt dizzy and almost swaying!  Not sure what causes it...I used to think I'd not eaten properly in the day, but I don't think that's the case.

YD - sounds like sticking to the industrial estate will be the best course of action for faster runs.  I don't mind running around industrial estates when it's quiet, in fact they're ideal for winter sessions.

Phill - with all this sandbagging I reckon you'll have a flier at CP

Rest day for me today as leg felt a little sore, so not wanting to push my luck decided a rest would be best.

17/10/2012 at 20:38

YD, I was considering doing 1 lap all out then fully recovering etc 25 times, to break the 10k WR. But I thought without anyone else there to race me it would be a bit unfair.

I know what you mean re: running in the dark. It's a huge pain and really drains the motivation! Come March time we'll wonder what we were complaining about 

prf, you were gypped by a pothole! Yeah yesterday's session wasn't about getting into horrendous oxygen debt, just about getting some decent volume at a reasonable pace without too much fatigue.

Dan, good session regardless, it'll take a bit of time to get into the quicker swing of things but it'll all be good for the 10k at the end of it.

Phil, probably not, I brought a pair of these bad boys the other day  so will probably use them for quality sessions (along w/spikes for the shorter stuff) and road races. At least for the moment...

3M this morning, then played badminton this evening for the first time in a few years. I used to be pretty good but I was definately rusty! Going to try and get back into it though I think. 

18/10/2012 at 09:59

Kelly - bah to 2012 ... hopefully 2013 will be our year!  As for pre-Abbey Dash sessions, well the loose idea was to have one session per week that pushes from MP to 10K (say, 6M of quality) and a second that hits 5KP (3-4M quality, or else a parkrun race). However, I'm just playing it by ear at the moment as my legs don't feel that great.

I'm not one for night running unless I really have to - whenever possible, I prefer to start work earlier and utilse extended lunchtimes.

5.4 mi at 9/m yesterday - it was hard work again, desite the slow pace - either I don't recover well from 5KP or I was still a bit viral. Then 6.44 mi this morning at 8:20/m which felt a bit better. Hopefully I'll have some legs for a session tomorrow.

Edited: 18/10/2012 at 10:00
18/10/2012 at 10:18

Good plan Dr Dan, good early miles as well.

Duck – I reckon I will be acclimatised to the dark by November, October always seems a drag but I usually get used to it. How was the Badminton?

How’s the leg Hilly

Club for me last night, 5 mile run followed by 20 minutes circuits in the gym then 3 x 5 mins on a the school field (efforts between 6:00 5:45/mi) and a few more miles afterwards to bring up 10 miles for the night. Not a great session really, running in the dark on a soggy field isn’t all that conducive to fast running and the effort was neither long enough for tempo or hard enough to really stretch anything like VO2Max, but all good miles in the bank I suppose.

18/10/2012 at 11:29

I actually quite like running in the dark when I get going. The only thing I find hard is actually getting out the door in the first place, especially when its freezing cold as well.

Minni –Glad to hear that joining a club 2nd claim isn’t a big deal. Makes things a lot easier if I can be involved in both. I’ll keep an out for you then at the TM mara.

Kelly – Thanks for the tip, don’t want to get in any trouble!

Dan – Add me to the 2013 list! Actually this year has be ok running wise for me. As long as avoid basing it on PBs that is!

18/10/2012 at 11:50

In other news, I have threatened it for long enough, I have now gone and done it, I have entered the Greater Manchester Marathon!

18/10/2012 at 12:17

YD - I wonder if someone can do one of those searches that pulls out all those posts where you said that you wouldnt run a marathon 'ever' or 'for years' or whatever it was. Caving in like that shows a lack of willpower, which is exactly the opposite of what you're going to need. You're doomed I tell ya..........

On a more helpful note, this week's marathon talk interview with Jocelyn is an excellent account detailing her build up to Berlin. It is about 50 minutes long so you get a lot of detail in that length of interview.

18/10/2012 at 12:28

prf - my rule was not to run a Marathon until I have a sub 80 hm, sub 60 10m and 36 10k under my belt. I am not that far away so cut myself some slack  
As for willpower, yes I lack it, I am doomed and I will hate every minute of it I am sure........

18/10/2012 at 12:30

YD - You are not breaking your own rule as you will have run those times prior to the marathon

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.