The Middle Ground

21,701 to 21,720 of 27,082 messages
18/11/2012 at 18:42

Curly, I'm jinxed at Gosport. Had a cold going into it 2 years ago, and slightly under performed and now this!

Always better to DNS than DNF tho

18/11/2012 at 18:59

Sorry to hear about your niggles, SG. Probably a wise decision to sit it out.

Kelly, sounds like if you are getting that sort of mileage in it won't be too long before you're back to normal either.

Glad to hear you are enjoying things, Mr V. very different to a month or so ago.

PRF, glad yo uenjoyed the race. Sorry, I have been so busy at work the last month I haven't been keeping up very well with the thread. Have you been injured, sick?

Curly, that's a fantastic time. It's nice to see you doing so well after so much bad luck.

Hilly, I think you're right and I am expecting too much too soon. Glad to see you exceeded your expectations.

I had a dreadful run today. Having slept for 9.5 hours last night I felt really good this morning and headed off for a planned 15 miles. After a few miles I was running about 10 min/mile for an HR of 75% and my knee was playing up (has been doing that lately - no idea why considering all the rest I've been getting). I was feeling dreadful so I stopped running and decided to just walk back home.

After walking for 5 minutes for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to run an 800m time trial on the road. I had to stop after running about 400m (in 75 seconds - closer to 3k pace than 800 pace) and felt dreadful.

Anyway, my conclusion from this is that a) I'm an idiot, b) I'm clearly not over my virus and c) I should stop trying to run to a pre-planned schedule. In fact I am going to completely change the way I train from now on

18/11/2012 at 19:01

alehouse - good to see the improvements continue!

Mr V - good weekend of running.

18/11/2012 at 19:05

Sorry to hear you are still not feeling well Simon, how are you going to change things around?

I'm going to spend a bit of time tomorrow catching up I think

18/11/2012 at 19:10

Ta Simon, and ditto the sentiments back to you, certainly sounds like a bit of that virus left within you. Hopefully that's somehow making the knee ache, rather than an injury on top too.

One of those runs to put in the memory bank and remember it all goes into making the next pb I guess!

18/11/2012 at 19:26

Curly - That is a superb result and with other recent results clearly shows you can claim to be 'in the best shape of your life'.

So what do you put the recent consistency and improvemnts down to? Joining the club? And if so, what in particular about joining the club?

And as mentioned on fb that means your most recent HM was 90 secs quicker than mine....but thankfully no official records exist.

Simon/Curly - No, no injury (as if ) or illness. This morning was a proper effort after my 'managed downtime' post Chester.

I actually really like this stage because I know that I can now look forward to significant weekly improvements for the next few weeks.

Simon - Sounds like a significant change coming, what differences are you going to make?

Hilly - My finger will be pulled out at Hull next Saturday!

Edited: 18/11/2012 at 19:27
18/11/2012 at 19:38

Its multifactoral - I like club because it gives my week a shape which means I can be relatively consistent with mileage (and we all know how well that works), plus I work hard there, then there is the cycling and the marathon earlier in the summer. I have lost about 10 lbs in total too. Lots of stuff really - have got into a good grove and have stayed there which is the main thing.

I will need to add more miles soon though, but Moraghan is keen to get me onto some shorter reps with the speed session. That should be fine as we have been promoted to the fast group at club and they tend to be more flexible plus we arent back in the park until Jan so its mostly flat reps!

Interesting about your down time. Good to see it has left you wanting more training and racing over the next 3-4 months!

18/11/2012 at 19:45

However, interesting that I didnt get much wava improvement for today's race which just goes to show how tough that can be... recent races:

mile - 70.55
xc - 70.85
Cabbage patch - 70.15
Little Stoke parkrun - 70.39
Gosport - 70.57

Sigh!

18/11/2012 at 19:56
Great HM there Curly - well done! That's a massive amount to take off.

Mr V / Kelly - are you doing the Norman Woodcock on Saturday? I hope to be there if I shift this lurgy.
18/11/2012 at 20:14

Curly - If nothing else those WAVAs show that your speed endurance and consistency across distances has improved no end.

And it looks like your HM has now become your second most proud achievement of the day as surely getting multifactoral into a RW post must have trumped it?

And although it isnt by any means official, I hear that the National Trust are getting behind parkrun. Just think of the potential new venues

Edited: 18/11/2012 at 20:19
18/11/2012 at 20:20

I know. I am hoping Osterley can be launched next year

Alice Holt was lovely on Saturday (i did tail running duties)

18/11/2012 at 20:27
PRF - that might mean I get a parkrun a bit closer to home. my nearest one is 50 miles away just now. I've tried to suss out a course in a local town without much success.
18/11/2012 at 21:15

Simon - it sounds exactly what I had back in July/August and BR more recently.  It does take a while for the body to get back to normal.  I believe that my virus was the root cause of my injury - I kept trying to run even though totally shattered and only able to manage a death plod.  I had a constant deep ache and tiredness throughout my body and my muscles felt like something I've never experienced before.  I thought at the time it must be something like ME as it was so bad!  I then picked up the injury, which now I believe was my body saying it could not mend and get rid of the virus while I kept trying to run, so it gave me an injury to make me back off...that's my theory anyhow!  Hope you feel better soon, but don't push things until you do!

18/11/2012 at 21:20

Out of interest, for anyone who knows the Leeds course, what on earth is it like, some kind of magic?!

I ask, as a quality runner who was down my way briefly for a few months last year, and had a pb of something like 30:45, has suddenly run 30.02 today!

At that level, with about 10years of running behind him that's an amazing improvement

18/11/2012 at 21:39

Stevie - Not really that out of the question. A friend of ours who used to run with me many many years ago, took 15 years off and then started running again recently took his longstanding pb of 33:25 down to 32:24 today at Abbey Dash....and he certainly has more than 10 years of experience.

Quite simply it is a good course, mostly flat, no corners except the 5K turnround point, excellent running surface. On top of that the conditions today were perfect.

And it wasnt short if that is what you suspect.

Edited: 18/11/2012 at 21:41
18/11/2012 at 21:52

And it's not short!!!

Straight down the up and down the road, mostly flat, a few inclines especially on the second half, but doesn't really break the stride - perfect course for anyone in decent shape and the quality at the front of the field pulls everyone along.  That along with ace conditions today makes for super fast times.

Edited: 18/11/2012 at 21:54
18/11/2012 at 22:40

Hilly, sounds very familiar. The weird thing is I feel absolutely fine until I start running. Perhaps the knee problem would be fixed quickly were it not for my virus - after all I am always getting little niggles, but most of them just go away quickly.

For now I'm going to just keep ticking over by going out on short runs. Just 2-3 miles at an easy pace seems manageable and it's not until then that my knee starts playing up. Aside from that I'll concentrate on stretching and doing some knee strengthening exercises I learned from a physio a little while back.

As for longer term training changes:

I'm going to completely do away with planning training in advance and just do what I feel like on any particular day. Of course, there will be a broad outline specifying (suggesting?) the types of quality runs I should be get in and the training will still be periodised between now and competition phase in the summer. Also, there are of course several constraints brought about by work, club night, parkruns, my soon-to-begin running group etc. but the plan is to be responsive rather than trying to rigidly adhere to a perfect plan that I've set out in advance.

I'm also going to dump the Garmin. Well, I'm still going to wear it and the HRM for purposes medium/long-term post analysis, but I am not going to look at it at all during training and just run completely by feel. This includes MP runs/threshold runs and any races/parkruns I do. For race pace reps I will keep an eye on things, but generally I don't have a problem hitting race pace anyway.

19/11/2012 at 06:20

Simon - I'm sure things will get better soon.  Your plans sounds sensible!

19/11/2012 at 07:25
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Out of interest, for anyone who knows the Leeds course, what on earth is it like, some kind of magic

My mate took 35 seconds off his already good sub 34 pb at leeds, He does well localy but his 33.20 at leeds had 100 people beat him. Think you get pulled along.

I also feel that when people behind you can see you on the return leg that i personally put more effort in, I dont want to appear to be slacking! I always want to see what the fast guys look like as they cruise past and so i try do go harder on the return too. Also a few shouts of encouragement from fellow club members help to keep me pushing on. All the little things must make a difference. 

Fast course but dull as dishwater! 

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 07:26
19/11/2012 at 08:04

Similar to Dewbury 10k I think in that respect! Which is  bit magic to my mind. We were even thinking about traveling all the way up in Feb for it, but decided that since its rolled over from last year and I am only working part time now, it was a big cost. Hence settling for Chichester which I have good things about!

Got a 5 mile XC in Reigate this Sat so having an ease back 5 days before then to let me legs recover. Think I will need it. Comedy penguin walk this morning

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.