The Middle Ground

21,821 to 21,840 of 26,853 messages
23/11/2012 at 15:04

Duck:  8 and 15. There will be other 400s! Doing all three may compromise too mcuh!

23/11/2012 at 15:19

Yeah that sounds best. I wasn't planning on running all three! I'm not that crazy 

23/11/2012 at 15:26

Jeez, Alehouse, you've set us all a tough task not to offer expressions of sympathy in those circumstances.

I know you always manage to remain positive no matter what gets thrown at you so all the best for a speedy successful conclusion.

23/11/2012 at 15:28

Alehouse I know there are two types of surgery - the open more invasive type is usually followed by up to a week in hospital so a significant recovery time from there, let alone time to run again which is dependent on good healing post op.

Mcmillan are probably a good place to speak to right now as they have all the facts about recovery rates of different treatment options.

Duck I would focus on one as a target, and one a nice to have a go at. You've doubled at events before and found it tough so dont put too much pressure on yourself to be 100% at two distances I reckon.

23/11/2012 at 15:34

Curly: post op they said that it will be 10 to 12 weeks before I can do anything strenuous, but try to get fit(ter) before the surgery.

PRF:  pointless being anything but positive! Doesn't get you anywhere! Its a bit like racing or, indeed, training: not a lot you can do post race or post session but take the positives out of it and move on!

Which bring mean to the good news...walking post Achilles surgery is getting better by the day! Can manage a kilometre reasonably well.

23/11/2012 at 15:46

alehouse - the problems of xposting and then refreshing - missed your post! At least this has been found when it has been and you can move onto treatment for it as soon as possible. Hope you manage to get the right form of treatment as soon as and get over this!

Curly, 800 is first (and preferred distance) so that'll be the main aim and the 1500 a decent run-out for some early season speed endurance work. Might have persuaded mum to enter too - it's combined with the open championships so anyone can enter the 1500!

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 15:47
23/11/2012 at 16:02

Alehouse - As long as it hasn't spread then I have every faith you'll be stood at next year's trafford 10k in your pink hat looking sternly at a chubby bloke puffing past you! I know of a number of success stories. (Sympathy avoided I think - but thinking of you)

23/11/2012 at 16:06

Alehouse – Sent you a PM. Thoughts with you for a speedy recovery.

23/11/2012 at 16:08

Hilly, you just put me in the mood for a curry. Hopefully won't have to perform any BR-style heroics to earn it though.

Phil, I've tried the x-trainer before and I think I found it slightly less boring than the treadmill. still tedious though.

Mr V, best to rest if you're not feeling right.

Glad you're enjoying the cheese, Curly. I love the stuff.

Alehouse, I admire your attitude and it's nice to see achilles improvements are coming.

Duck, I think 4 and 8 is a bad idea - not enough recovery. 4 and 15 is a good idea and as you say should give you a very good idea of your 800 potential anyway. I've never been able to really get going for a 1500 after a hard 800. I think the 400, although more painful is less fatiguing overall.

23/11/2012 at 17:42

Will read back properly later, but just wanted to say alehouse we know of 2 runners who are both going strong who have had prostrate cancer and come through.  This time next year you'll be back running strong with the achilles healed and the cancer gone!  Best wishes.

23/11/2012 at 18:08

That's the aim, Hilly!
Nos non vinci (we will not be defeated!). I think its what David said to Goliath, but probably not in Latin!

23/11/2012 at 19:49
Alehouse - just to reiterate my comments on the DDT. I think we should go for a run together sometime next year - just let me know when you're up for it.
23/11/2012 at 19:58

I look forward to that, Tom!

23/11/2012 at 20:08

Alehouse - if it makes you feel any better, statistically the average human being has one testicle so if it is removed you are more normal than before.

Duck - run all three.  No logical reason for it, but if you want to have some fun and experimentation why not?

24/11/2012 at 12:16

Alehouse - Love the positive attitude onward and upwards I say

As instructed some positive news MRI ok other than does show a long term issue with ball in hip being slightly misshapped which will result in probable arthritis in years to come and ultimately proable hip operation but not hopefully for a long time so with that postive news  I did my first hard session for 3 weeks 5 x approx 350m hill and 2 x approx  600m hill in an overall run of 8.25 miles trained with the current 5k road V45 bronze medalist and held my own completely so have to be pleased with that!!

24/11/2012 at 12:29
Alehouse - I know several success stories of men who have been diagnosed and treated for prostrate cancer and am sure you'll be another one. Also good to hear the Achilles recovery is going well...

Josh - hope your first run back goes well, and I would echo the take it easy advice given by others.

YP
24/11/2012 at 13:48

robT- Since everything will fall apart in the long run anyway I think that certainly qualifies as good news

A chilly Hull parkrun this morning to see if the newly started upswing is starting to show. Considering that 23:05 at Dewsbury last week felt like a bit of an effort I'm very pleased with a pretty relaxed progressive run of 19:17 (6:26, 6:18, 6:05).

Going in the right direction...

24/11/2012 at 16:30

Rob - Good session there. Hopefully lots and lots of running to come before anything breaks!

PRF - Good to see the upswing beginning. Look forward to that 19 becoming 18, then 17 and 16 before long

Gosforth 5 miler for me today. Felt pretty ropey and full of cold in the morning put perked up in time for the 2pm start. A decent clocking of 29.49 which is another step forward in fitness (38.24 10k two weeks ago). Good to see YD, Kelly and Minni who all all raced as well. Won't ruin anything though

24/11/2012 at 23:24
Alehouse - continued thoughts.

Didn't feel completely like racing today but that's just because I've been putting it off for so long. This was my first race this year!

Easy parkrun this morning, absolutely freezing - the arm warmers have made an appearance and it's a good job I went as I collected my 100 tshirt/jacket.

Wasn't sure what would happen this afternoon, but had a chat to Minni before the race and a quick word with Mr V and YD.

The first mile felt fast, but manageable and the second mile felt awful! By the end of the third mile I was feeling a bit sick and wondering how I was going to do another 2 without dying. It was on that cusp of deciding whether to just back off and letting the race/time go, or suck it up and not give up until the finish. I chose the latter.

It resulted in a pb by over 30s and my first since last November so have to be happy with that, even though I felt yucky at the end. 34.42. I have run a HM at a faster pace, but we'll not think about that right now .

I had to dash straight off to make my eldest his birthday cake for tomorrow morning. I have the small matter of running 16m and being in a fit state before people start arriving at 11!
25/11/2012 at 08:05

Nice parkrunning from PRF, no laughing at you this week

Well done on the pb Kelly.  That must feel sweet on your come back trail!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.