The Middle Ground

21,961 to 21,980 of 26,782 messages
02/12/2012 at 20:22
Guy's 10 mile race for me today. Target was sub 60 but I had a feeling that I might have a chance at getting close to or even under 59 mins should I have a stellar kind of day.

Conditions were pretty good, the only complaint is that it might be a bit cold, I saw -6 degrees on way over this morning but it warmed to around zero by the start of the race. Plan was simple, set off at 6 min per mile pace and adjust depending
on how things unfolded.
First two miles went by on the garmin auto lap in 5:58 & 5:59. I noticed that the mile markers were coming after the beep. I reckon I was in about 25th position here.
Mile 3 and 4 went by in 5:57 and 5:59. Into a groove now nd overtaking over enthusiastic starters fairly regularly. Mile market still coming after garmin auto lap.

I started to hit traffic during mile 5 and took a few more spots, the pace was feeling comfortable, garmin beeped up with the next split of 5:50 to bring up half way in 29:43. However I was short of the course 5 mile point so I hit the lap button at that point 12 seconds later on 29:55. So bang on for the sub 60 and feeling good.
02/12/2012 at 20:43
I decided to wind the pace up a bit here, and happily the legs responded. At about 5.5miles I caught sight of a group up the road and made it my target to wind them in. Next auto lap came in at 5:47, (closer to the mile marker) feeling good and gaining on the group.
At about 6.4 miles I caught a group of about 6 or 7, pretty much went by them all in one go, though I sensed one of them following. The mile ticked by in 5:51.

Feeling nicely in control at the start of mile 8, but as the mile progressed the fatigue started to ramp up noticeably. Nothing much more occurred other than I gained on a chap up the road and could hear someone close by behind. Split 5:52

Mile 9, I caught up to the chap in front but wasn't able to get level with him, I could also feel my legs tiring quite a bit and felt a bit of a head wind (no one else felt this just me being a wuss ) I suppose you could call it a mini wobble as the split clicked by in 6:00 the slowest of the day.

Nothing much to say about the last mile other than it was kitchen sink time and I overtook the chap in front, mile split of 5:47 + 2 seconds extra to finish in 59:20 in 9th place

5 mile splits 29:55 / 29:20 chuffed with that!
02/12/2012 at 20:57

nice one YD, Sub 60 club for you me laddo

02/12/2012 at 21:12
Cheers Stevie.

My finish time was 59:15 not 59:20, don't want to be taking valuable seconds off myself!!!
02/12/2012 at 21:21
It was never in doubt
02/12/2012 at 21:23

Well done YD! Perfectly paced

02/12/2012 at 22:29

I agree with Duck. I think the standard is irrelevant. I'll never run anything exceptional, but I would like to do as well as my ability allows. Also, I find analysing training and racing fun.

Curly, Nice XC-ing. Nonsuch was pretty icy for the parkrun, but by the second lap it had really muddied up. Was any of the course similar?

Careful on that ice, CB. I almost slpped over at the track last Thursday,

PRF, that's still a lot of HMs. How did you manage that many parkruns in three years? Surely there haven't been enough events. Nice weekend of running from you.

Hilly, great stuff. Congrats on the category win.

Good stuff with the long runs, Phil. I thought it was perfect running weather today.

Great racing, YD. Must feel good to get well under 60.

Yesterday's parkrun also a minute faster for the same effort as previous week, so clearly this virus is on its way. I even had a bit of fun racing (and beating) someone to the line.

Then I slept for 10 hours last night and went over to Richmond Park and had a really enjoyable run in the crisp winter sun today. I did 2 and a bit laps to clock up 25k @ 8:13 for avg HR of 155. I would expect that pace for about 130bpm at peak, so still a way to go, but I'll just enjoy the improvements for now.

03/12/2012 at 08:42

prf, agreed 150-200 halfs is a monumental total. Although surely you can get a more accurate figure together!

Although knowing you, only about 20 of them were actually raced

Does make my proud tally of 20 seems utter pony in comparison though.

YD, what's up next then? Are your road pbs in sync now?

I've one last road race this year, hoping for good conditions to try and get the 10k pb more in sync with the recent 10milers.
On paper, a sub 35 should be pretty doable on paper having gone through 10k in 35.09 at the Great South run, but as we all know, it's not run on paper!

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 08:51
03/12/2012 at 09:55

Awesome racing yesterdy!

Hilly always nice to surprise yourself in terms of time! Well done. So pleased to see it coming back and give you loads of confidence going into marathon training.

YD good work to be able to wind up the pace during a 10 miler! And to get in the top 10 Woohoo to sub 60

Simon it was very muddy! The course starts in the same place, but stays on the grass (2 laps) it was well over 6k as is usual for XC Good to see you're getting back into training, and Richmond is always nice for a relaxed run.

I am knackered today - 16 miles, 5 miles cycle, 7 hour shift at work, 5 miles cycle home

03/12/2012 at 10:18

Hilly – Cracking stuff. After your recent running troubles it must be nice to see your fitness is better than you thought.

PRF – Building back up nicely.

YD – Excellent effort there. Sub 60 is a very nice marker. Fully expected you to do it but of course you still have to get out there and actually make it happen!

Simon – Good to see your are improving

Curly – Not surprised you are knackered! All good training though.

Bit of a stressful few days for me with all sorts going. Still pleased to log another 70 mile week including a couple of decent quality sessions.

03/12/2012 at 10:44

Duck - Remind me re Rule 13!

Chubby - Yopu seem to be getting to some good consistent training in at the moment. Anything planned on the horizon?

YD - Disappointingly unplayful splits there!

Simon - Good positive week on week comparison. And well spotted, I meant 4 years not 3 of course!

Stevie - No chance of a more accurate tally. In the days before Po10 and online results collation you just relied on paper results sheets and your own training diaries. I have loads of each but nowhere near a complete set.

Curly - I'm knackered just thinking about that day's activities.

Mr V - You must be coming into a period of decent form as well, a solid training week on the back of the almost sub 30 bodes well.

It is interesting how the Bradford City Run 10K farce yesterday doesnt seem to have surfaced as a RW 'lets string the organisers up' thread.

To give an idea of the slight problem, our friend who took his longstanding 10K PB down from 33:25 to 32:24 at Abbey Dash a couple of weeks ago reduced it further yesterday at Bradford to 29:38! Apparently!

03/12/2012 at 12:01

PRF I would suspect part of the reason is the organisers have clearly admitted their mistake:

http://www.sportsystems.co.uk/ss/results/Bradford%20City%20Run/1059

(which is linked to Po10)

03/12/2012 at 12:47

Which is all well and good but this seems to be a recurring theme with this race and yesterday's participants dont appear to want to be as forgiving this time as previously.

Btw It isnt the race that we went to that runs along Canal Road.

03/12/2012 at 13:18

YD, great running. Looks like the conditions, ealry pacing and pack late in the race all played right into your hands for that time. 

Sounds good Simon, as you say whatever it is you've got is going now by the sounds of it.

Curly, tough day! Nicely done though.

parkrunfan wrote (see)

Duck - Remind me re Rule 13! 

Beer the night before a race is always a good idea.

Today's plan was for 8*200, but with the track closed and ice everywhere I had to improvise. Found an ice-free, relatively quiet stretch of road (which I measured back at home as ~170m) and did 2*5*170 w/jog back rec. If the distance is relatively accurate, the pace was pretty decent (~16-17s/100m pace) and it didn't feel too taxing either. Pretty happy to get a decent session done when conditions are like they are.

03/12/2012 at 17:47

Well improvised Duck.

PRF I've got an off road 10k on Sunday which will be a useful test of fitness. I'm looking at a few races for next year, but nothing set in stone yet. I'm just happy to be running at the moment!

03/12/2012 at 19:12

Curly - a good day's work there!  How did  you manage 16 miles before work - must have been up early?

YD - excellent race for you yesterday!

Viper - good training and hope the stresses sort themselves out!

Simon - good to see your running getting better!

BR is still suffering with this virus quite bad.  He has tried not running and jogging, but even jogging he is reduced to a plod.  It was horrible when I had it, now he has it and it's hard for him to believe it will all come back, it's just time though I keep telling him!

A recovery run for me this afternoon.  Legs a little sore, but nothing much and better to be race sore than injured sore! 

I feel quite optimistic that I can get some good race times by late winter/early spring and am looking forward to the challenges ahead

04/12/2012 at 12:11
Hilly - well done on the better than expected 10M. Given some of my comments on your training when injured strategies, I suppose the question to be asked is how much quicker would you have run on Sunday if you'd opted for earlier rest and rehab. I'm not trying to make any point here other than saying one has no way of knowing, even in retrospect, which would have been the best course of action.

I do hope the BR can get back to it soon, as it can't be much fun for either of you. I think it was Bruce Tulloh who observed that "there's nothing of less use to anyone than an injured runner". Speaking of which I'm off over to the DTT if I can find yet another way of saying that today I again ran as far as I could without aggravating the dodgy hamstring (but wishing it could be faster an further)
04/12/2012 at 12:24

Afternoon, just!

Totally unrelated to Tom's  point about Hilly's training, apart from that it is re Hilly's  training! You seem to be running much better, and I am wondering whether the LACK of doubles, i.e. NOT running at some ridiculously early hour, is actually helping: more sleep/rest/recovery etc which is needed not only in running terms, but also as recovery from a pretty exhausting job, plus reducing the risk of illness or further injury. I know that the miles need to be put in the bank, but I think careful reflection might be needed as to WHEN these are run after a careful analysis of the benefits! I used to do doubles, but these were at 7.30  in the morning in the days when teaching was not as demanding in terms of the time at the chalkface. I am sure that I wouldn't be able to do them now if I were at the same level of fitness and in the same occupation.

04/12/2012 at 12:50

Many congrats Hilly, that's a very good 10m time considering your recent woes.

PRF.. another solid race on the comeback trail.  BTW those 5k splits are very similar to mine!

Curly.. a cracking weekend's training!  Monday looked pretty active too! 

Duck.. sorry to hear about the mile race, York Parkrun was off on Saturday too.  Apart from the racecourse resembling a lake, the surface water on the tarmac track had frozen so that was that!

Simon.. good to hear your health is improving.

Y D.. sub 60 is a fine landmark for 10m, well done indeed!

The Edwinstowe trail race was a cracker.  Lovely undulating course on a sunny day around Sherwood Forest tracks & trails, marshalls all playing xmas music.  No mud to report, more bone hard & a bit icy in parts.  Finished 51st/412 which is about as good as it gets for me in XC races.  Squash & biscuits at the finish, tech t-shirt, plenty of parking & no big queues for the loos.  Didn't realise till I got there that the finish line was less than 100 metres from my old Dad's final resting place in the forest cemetery - couldn't resist a wave as I went past!   Highly recommended, I certainly can't think of any prettier courses.

4.2m this morning & about 7m with the club later.  Clubmate's birthday curry later so I need to blance the calories out! 

04/12/2012 at 12:57

Well done, Wardi, son of Friar Tuck! Sounds a great race: good that you were able to wave to your dad, too! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.