The Middle Ground

22,401 to 22,420 of 26,789 messages
04/01/2013 at 18:37

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/4237/gallery/john_practicing_xc.jpg?width=350

BR practicing for tomorrow's xc

We had a lovely run, relaxed enough for me to take some pictures, as you see, on some lovely terrain leading in the Peak District.

Thanks Stevie, it was at a race I won this year, when coming back from injury.  It wasn't fast, but it was the first time in ages that I was able to push off my forefoot.

04/01/2013 at 18:46
Evening all

Although I'm failing to post on here all that much recently (haven't had much to say other than continuing to base build), I am still managing to lurk and read up on the great sessions many of you are doing.

I'm not going to try and do a full catch-up, as it's been too long.

However, great to see that Alehouse is now allowed to run, rather than having to do it furtively.

Also, sorry to read Duck's news, and agree with the comments about chin up - to steal and adapt a phrase "there is always plenty of fish in the sea, and if you cast your net wide, eventually you'll catch the perfect fish for you...."
04/01/2013 at 22:09

18pbs Duck, nice!!! Well done on the 3k today, legs not up to much but lungs in fine fettle in Jan is no bad thing for a track runner.

Good news on the rib Wardi

Good miles CB

Good luck at the XC Phil

Saw the pics on facebook Hilly and BR, looks like a nice spot to run in.

Good session for me today, 4.5miles tempo @ 6:00/mi pace, the run had a HR average of 167bpm / 86% HRmax. Warm up and warm down + a run at lunch time brings the daily total to 13.45miles.

05/01/2013 at 10:29

Hilly/BR - Nice pics. Good luck with the xc today!

Duck - Solid enough 3k from you. Sounds like you will be in good shape for the indoors.

YD - Nice pace and mileage there. This marathon has really got you motivated!

10 miles for me this morning including a muddy but fairly calm Newcastle parkrun in 18.06. Ran the parkrun well within myself so quite pleased with that. I reckon if I can get down to Middlesbrough soon for an all out effort I should have a good chance of going sub 17.30. One thing I did notice is I'm probably short of a top gear right now. But that's hardly surprising given that recent quality work has been between 10 mile and marathon pace. In fact its 6 months or so since I've worked 3k through to 10k pace zones.

Will head out for another 4 or so this afternoon and then a long run tomorrow.

05/01/2013 at 10:48
It has Mr V, looks like it has done the same to you
05/01/2013 at 12:08

All the best to you guys running the XC today!

Nice day's training there YD, how does that compare to other tempos?

Mr V, that's a good effort in the mud! Especially so if you think you're missing a bit of top end speed. Might be worth introducing stuff like strides w/jog recoveries of ~30s which could be a gentle introduction back.

RD at parkrun this morning - my third time in 4 events. Winning time was 15'59 in a solo run which is pretty impressive!

A heads up for the more insane of you lot - Strathclyde parkrun are going to be doing a celebration of parkruns in Scotland on June 21st (it's on a Friday) this year, by running all of Scotland's parkruns in one day, starting off with Inverness at 10:30 that morning and finishing by running the Strathclyde parkrun the next morning at its usual 9:30 time.

Anyone's welcome to come along, my first thought was that's the sort of thing prf eats for breakfast so just putting it out there. I did a news post on the Aberdeen page this morning if anyone wants to know more about it, regarding times and such. I'm thinking I would probably do a couple of them (doing them all would probably put me out of action for a good few weeks!). 

05/01/2013 at 15:20

Good performance there Duck. Regards MP, I was up to 7-8 miles a few weeks ago. I would have done more this week but I'm racing(ish) tomorrow and didn't want to push it too much.

Nice tempo run YD. Looks like the marathon preparation has started well.

It looks like you're wet for a good year Mr V, if the last few weeks training are anything to go by.

05/01/2013 at 15:55

Makes sense cb. 30 mins @ MP isn't going to be too taxing but enough for a decent benefit if you intend to train through the race - 5M trail?

7M this afternoon - 7:36/m and it felt good, actually slow in places. 

I was shopping earlier on and came across a pair of 7.5kg kettlebells for £15. So I got them. Plenty of stuff for working core and upper body strength now. Might ache for a bit though! 

WJH
05/01/2013 at 17:30
Sorry to hear about your break up Duck...new year new start and hopefully it will be a great year to come! As for last weekends 8x800 session, I am thinking of doing 4x1 mile reps for my next quality session. Good result if that's your 2nd fastest 3k as well

Great tempo session YD. That's great pacing!

Good to see CB and YP continuing with their efforts! Good luck with the race and pacing today CB!

Good park run result Mr Viper and going by the basebuilding going on there must be a lot more to come as you say!

Sounds like a good trail run BR and Hilly!

Key sessions for me over the last few days have included a stready 6 mile treadmill workout on Wednesday. I used this to work on my form and to keep consistent pacing...something I often struggle with particularly in shorter races (see park run report below). No HR monitor readings yet though as the one I had bought for me has no function to record average HR. Thursday was my first 'longer' run in preparation for Brighton...10 miles on heavy legs. This was paced at 7:54 m/m - probably a little too fast considering my marathon aims (3:30 at the top end) but it was good to make this into a progressive effort of sorts with the last 5 miles being faster paced than the first 5.

Ran the Southampon Common park run for the first time today....finished in 19:53.
Although this is my fastest park run time so far, I was very dissapointed with my pacing which was 6:14 for the first mile and 6:41 for the 3rd. That said it was good to get sub 20 minutes. At least with these I can try to learn some lessons from a pacing strategy point of view which I more often than not seem to struggle with on the shorter distances.
Edited: 05/01/2013 at 17:37
WJH
05/01/2013 at 19:11

Well done on the parkrun tme if not the pacing WJH I learnt a lot of pacing skills at parkrun so its a good plan to practice different techniques there.

Duck nice work on the 3k - to run your second fastest time when you felt like you weren't firing on all cylinders is excellent.

YD good going on the tempo session.

Mr V nice parkrun too - what was the wind like up there

CB good MP running from you - not sure I could 8 miles at this stage!

Surrey Champs XC for me today - 5.1m two laps of muddy, hilly, boggy and awful terrain (tree roots, stones, lumps). You get the gist. Felt a little tired from 50 miles on the bike in 3 days and busy work yesterday evening, so the second lap was a proper slog. However, unlike Nonsuch where they got away from the first mile, it wasnt until 4 miles in today where I started to lose ground to those around me. Also, the only cross comprison between the two races around my time shows an 11 second lead grown to 40 secs today. Pretty pleased

Where are the other XC reports eh

05/01/2013 at 21:13

Nice work on the 3k Duck and the parkrun challenge sounds interesting, but unfortunately for us it starts on a work day.

Viper - you sound as if you're coming back to form nicely.

WJH - well done on the sub 20 parkrun.  Personally I think Southampton isn't as easy a course as many say. Or maybe I just felt a bit rotten on NYD

Well done on the XC Curly.  You certainly sound as if you really quite enjoy them!  More than can be said for me 

I did Dewsbury parkrun this morning steady, then the Yorkshire XC this afternoon.  Not quite as long as the Surrey Champs, ours being only just over 5k!  In a way I was glad as today was just not my day!  It wasn't a muddy course, but long grass and ruts and the normal steep hills, short sharp hills etc.  Was second finisher for club, so job done and a good training day, but can't say I really enjoyed it!

05/01/2013 at 21:34

Hilly it cant be XC without oodles of mud?!? Or is that just our southern courses since we dont have many hills

Sorry you didnt enjoy it? Do you think parkrun had any negative effect? Or just all the miles you have been doing lately?

Second finisher for the club sounds like a solid run to me. We didnt get a team as our 3rd has norovirus but its more important for her to be well for next weeks run as we are facing relegation in our league

05/01/2013 at 22:44

WJH, good time today. If you brought that first mile even just to 6:20 I think that would help an awful lot. Not disasterous pacing by any means, although 6:41 for the final mile suggests the course is a bit hilly in places? 

Nice slogging Curly, looks like there is plenty of strength there right now and more than last time! A good base being laid down right now, it'll help no doubt with the pMP stuff to come.

Hilly, the course doesn't sound that enjoyable to me at all (mud has to be there!). Like Curly asked, do you think it's just a consequence of the last few weeks training?

Did a kettlebell workout this evening, I'll be feeling it tomorrow morning and I'm hitting the track early  it's going to be of huge benefit I'm sure but the first few sessions might leave me feeling quite sore! 

06/01/2013 at 10:37
No stopping this training machine

4*400 @ 85% (~66) w/4 min rec this morning. Great conditions, ran 68.3, 65.7, 65.6, 64.5 and it felt so relaxed. A touch of oxygen debt at the end but this session + those times would have been flat out 6 months ago. Yet today it was so relaxed and i was astonished how easy it was to hit that 64 at the end. Rather happy with this session
06/01/2013 at 13:58

NIce parkrunning WJH. I'm not an expert on pacing, but you could just be happy with the sub 20 for now.

Great XC Curly. Good to see the improvement.

Nice job doing Hilly!

Good session Duck.

4.75 of muddy undulating trails today. I think my effort was somewhere around 10k. Pacing was all over the place given the terrain, but it was encouraging that when I hit a sustained, flat, not too muddy section I managed a comfortable 6:45 pace. Will do some Po10 stalking later to see where I am at the moment.

The race was well run with a very strong field (no chance of a top 10% finish unlike my last trail race!) and I really enjoyed it. I'm still struggling (I think) with speed, so I will try to focus on some faster stuff in the coming weeks.

06/01/2013 at 14:13

BR - that trail looks great fun do you have anymore pics to share?

Duck - nice session.  With regards to GF, at least you have more money to buy shoes you don't need and more time to do more corework you probably won't enjoy

If you get bored of any core sessions (or if anyone is looking for one) I made up a planktastic workout I like to do:
1 min plank, 50 crunches, 1 min plank, 15 push ups, 1 min plank, 30 sec side plank, 1 min plank, 50 crunches, 1 min plank, 15 push ups, 1 min plank, 30 sec side plank, 1 min plank, 2 min plank, 50 crunches, 15 push ups

WJH - I would not worry about pacing for 5k races.  Although I am naturally good at pacing, my park run race strategy was always go out hard and pray for it to be over quickly.

30 miles this week from me with a 9 mile long run and a steady paced 4 miler at 170bpm.  I reckon if coach would let me I could be at 50mpw, but the intensity would not be great.

06/01/2013 at 14:18
Josh Blatchford wrote (see)

If you get bored of any core sessions (or if anyone is looking for one) I made up a planktastic workout I like to do:
1 min plank, 50 crunches, 1 min plank, 15 push ups, 1 min plank, 30 sec side plank, 1 min plank, 50 crunches, 1 min plank, 15 push ups, 1 min plank, 30 sec side plank, 1 min plank, 2 min plank, 50 crunches, 15 push ups

That's probably about double the amount of minutes of planking in one session then I've done in my life

06/01/2013 at 14:21
Josh Blatchford wrote (see)

1 min plank, 2 min plank,

you just lost track here didn't you

06/01/2013 at 14:28

Duck - Thanks for the info re Strathclyde. Do you know why they have chosen to that on a Friday/Saturday?

That is exactly what we did for our 20 Yorkshire parkrun challenge, taking in one official parkrun, but the timing of this is curious with it being 21st June.

Are they aware of the now traditional Longest parkrun, which we will be running across the country on 23rd June and which this would fit nicely with?

In a sense I like it as it is though, as I'm sure BR will, because potentially we could do all the Scottish parkruns on Friday/Sunday and then return for a more local Longest parkrun on the Sunday - like falling off a log

06/01/2013 at 16:03

Erm, us public servants cannot choose our holidays, so I'm afraid Friday 21st June is a no-no.  Don't they work in Scotland on a Friday? 

Yorkshire XC for me.  5th counter, `taking one for the team'.  A nice little virus / bad calf double ensured a time around 4 mins behind my normal rivals.  Hugely enjoyable though taking part in the country championships for my new (old) club. 

Yes an odd course, and I had the indignity of being lapped by someone who can't throw the javelin so it lands on the pointy end.  He's not a bad triathlete I hear though!  YD - surprised to see no-one from your club there seeing as it was just along the road?

Good effort from Curly

Josh - I'm not a picture person, but I don't seem to be able to go more than half a day without being photographed or tagged somewhere by the other half!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.