The Middle Ground

22,441 to 22,460 of 26,789 messages
08/01/2013 at 12:58
I just entered too.

I've been meaning to email that guy for weeks now, no, I haven't heard anything back.

Well, I don't quite believe the flatter than Berlin claim, but it will feel good to have something to work towards. I have had zero motivation lately. I've been dragging myself out, but haven't enjoyed it for a long time
08/01/2013 at 13:00

284 days to be ready then, Mr. V, and all those others tempted by the Yorkshire Marathon:
http://www.theyorkshiremarathon.com/about.html

Could be a decent thread day out! If so I will come and watch!

08/01/2013 at 13:03

Tempted ... I think I'm less likely to be down with "fresher's flu" on 20th October than the earlier 6th Oct Chester marathon. And it's nearer.

08/01/2013 at 13:44

I'll see how Manchester goes first........though this is convenient, I could be home with my feet up within 30 minutes of finishing

08/01/2013 at 13:48

Yep I'm also interested. Will talk to Magpie, but it looks awesome

Kelly thts not good, keep chipping, it will come back!

08/01/2013 at 16:33

This seems to be another case of marketing triumphing over logic.

Its great to see a Yorkshire marathon getting off the ground for obvious reasons but there are some questions:

1. I'm seeing people who moan about boring courses clamouring to do this? Why? It is relentless country lanes not a trip around a scenic city.

2. It is being organised by a company that has never organised a marathon before, the track record for this is not good. There is a massive difference between holding charity 10ks and organising a marathon.

3. Why did the Hull Marathon not get the same level of over excitement when it was initially announced? It was billed as a fast course in just the same way?

This is another BM scenario that doesnt really make much sense - it is a race, just like lots of others.

08/01/2013 at 17:00

PRF – What makes you think people are clamouring to enter it? (I’m not disagreeing, just interested in what you’ve heard.) For me it’s simply a case of a flat marathon that is close to home and on in late autumn.  It just happens to tick all the boxes.

08/01/2013 at 17:03

I have to admit I'm a little cynical about new marathons now after Hull. However for those who are local, the opportunity to run a marathon without the logistics of travel to other locations must be a good thing. If they get it right, then fair play.

Take care of the achilles Ratzer. 

Busy race schedule there Phil! All that XC, you'll be pining for rain come VLM and running as much of it on the grass as you can  

Mr V, hope it's just a random niggle runners often get. Day off sounds sensible.

Poor Kelly  asthma really sucks, although at least you aren't injured. Silver linings, or at least hints of some....

I've really been using my new kettlebells the last few days  some real strength benefits to be had I think and hopefully it'll translate into better times further down the road. 

Not sure it'll make the duathlon any better though  I have been on the turbo trainer over the Christmas period, roughly 40 mins at a time so I know I can get through the bike leg at least. 

08/01/2013 at 17:19

Mr V - Facebook is awash with people who have entered today. It really is just like BM entry mentality.

There seems to be something about holding an event in York which gets an over excited reaction.

Where else could you get thousands of people to pay £22.50 to run around a parkrun course? And we all know how well that went.

08/01/2013 at 18:02

PRF - Yeah I see what you mean now having looked at FB! I don't think its a bad thing though. It's good if an event captures people's imagination. I do share your concerns about first time marathon organisation. And I guess there's always a degree of risk entering a 1st time event. But I think their credentials are fairly good. I mean the York 10k they do has over 4000 runners and this is capped at 4000 (I think).  I appreciate a marathon is a different proposition. But any new marathon has to be set up by someone!

08/01/2013 at 18:23

We've decided to wait until after Brighton if there are places left as we are still keen to do Thames meander again.

Nothing against it though - a flat well organised mara in the UK is rare (or it is down here!).

08/01/2013 at 21:01
Too late for you Kelly and Mr V but there's also the new Castles Marathon right here in the North East the week after York. I know the course well and it's reasonably flat (I would class it as totally flat!) starting at Alnwick Castle and ending at Bamburgh Castle.

I've already entered as my Autumn marathon but it means forfeiting the TM, which is my favourite marathon course.
08/01/2013 at 21:37

Nice session this evening, progressive run:

1m @ 8;56 (easy), 1m @ 8:36 (easy), 3m @ 8:10 (steady), 3m @ 7:36 (MP), 1m @ 7:06 (HMP), 1.5m cd

10.5 miles in total Felt pretty easy which is encouraging.

08/01/2013 at 22:10
If I wasn't lucky enough to have VLM starting 600m from my front door I'd probably get quite excited about a new marathon starting in my manor, and might consider taking a chance with any teething problems. Good luck, northern folk!

Kelly - sorry to hear about the asthma. Hats off for getting on with it though.

Curly - that's a decent length run to be finishing at HMP, nice one.

10 x 800 w/~90s walk recovery this evening, all 2:32-2:35 and felt really comfortable. Exactly how I want my interval sessions to feel when marathon training gets serious - decent volume at quicker than threshold without killing myself. Plenty of mental energy left for the marathon stuff.
08/01/2013 at 22:11

I think the man who enters the London Marathon every year protests a bit much. Yes, there seems to be something extra to events in York that generates a bit more excitement than deserved, but hey, a handful of folks on facebook are getting excited about a new local Marathon, better they are getting excited about that, than Britain’s Got Pop Factor or Celebrities Going to the Toilet in the Jungle!
Or what Phil said

I have no plans to run an autumn Marathon, so if I don’t run it Mr V and Kelly, I will join Alehouse and wave some pom poms at you

Kelly - fingers crossed for some improvement for you, its deserved.

Phil – I like the plan, first thoughts were, blimey that’s a lot of races, but they are mostly short ones so will work as great tempo sessions if nothing else.
With the best will in the world we rarely stick to a plan 100%, where do you see the most slippage/amendments to the plan? If you are knackered and need to drop a quality session, what goes first?
EDIT - good numbers tonight.....
The other day you asked about being on my clubs committee, no I am not, I have considered it, I might get to a few meetings and see what I think to it. I want to help with my club and events they put on, but I have a family to consider.

Fingers crossed it’s nothing serious Ratzer

Duck on a turbo, whatever next?

Nice progressive run Curly, got a race coming up?

Anyway, 15+ miles for me today with a good tempo run tonight. 10k in 37:40, 6:03/m, HR average of 163 bpm which is 83.6% HRmax.
If I am going to run a sub 80 half in a couple of weeks I need to be going through 10k in just under 38 mins feeling pretty comfortable. So with that in mind, tonight’s session suggests it’s on, bliddy happy with that

Splits for geeks that like numbers:

Time   Avg Pace   Avg HR
3:49.8    06:10     151 (77.4%)
3:47.2    06:06     159 (81.5%)
3:48.0    06:07     160 (82%)
3:48.9    06:08     161 (82.5%)
3:45.2    06:02     162 (83%)
3:44.0    06:00     164 (84.1%)
3:43.2    05:59     165 (84.6%)
3:44.4    06:01     167 (85.6%)
3:43.8    06:00     168 (86.1%)
3:43.7    06:00     169 (86.6%)
:02.1      06:08     170
37:40.2  06:03     163  (83.59%)

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 22:16
08/01/2013 at 22:31
Evening all,

Nice training tonight from Curly, PhilPub and YD.

Curly - looks like we do indeed have a very similar target MP. This is great news for me as I get to watch and copy your / Moraghan's sessions

I did a really enjoyable 9 miler this evening, with every mile being within +/- 5 seconds of 08:20/mile, and my heart rate was flat and steady @ 151-152bpm, which is just below 80% HRmax for me.

Plan is to do an unfuelled 12mile MLR first thing tomorrow morning, so need to get off to bed now!
09/01/2013 at 06:50

Great session there YD.

I can't say I'm overly excited by a York-based marathon.  If I wanted to target a fast autumn marathon I'd be off to Abingdon with its excellent established track record.

However I shall be along to watch events unfold - from the right side of the fence this time...

In other news I'm still shuffling along.

09/01/2013 at 08:48

Some good running going on. Impressed with the HMP finish Curly. And as ever impressed by paces that I can't comprehend at the moment by Phil and YD!

2 runs yesterday totalling 14 miles, with some speedwork in the morning. 3 miles this morning with some drills (thought I'd try something new). I think I confused a dog walker as I appeared out of the mist skipping merrily past him!

09/01/2013 at 09:00

YD wow that was some session - you are flying at the moment!

Ha ha CB I can just imagine their face , some serious miles going on there.

YP lol. The pace you ran is my steady which I dont use that much, its one of those annoying paces that I find hard to stay in, I can chat but its not easy running if that makes sense? I find MP easier even though its 10-20 secs a mile faster How did the unfueled run go?

Phil that session sounds great - was that with the club? I missed club last night as it was a sharpener session on grass and they always kill me. Quite glad to skip the New Year newbies anyway

10 miles mlr for me tonight, feel fine after yesterday so should be a nice one.

09/01/2013 at 09:41

YP - Good steady run. I know what Curly means, it's a bit in-betweeny w.r.t either being able to switch off or having to tune-in, probably quite a useful training pace to use every so often.

cb - continually impressed with the morning speed sessions. Takes a while for my body to get going!

Curly - Yeah, I'm very lucky at the moment that there are 5/6 of us around very similar pace, all doing a marathon at some point, so we can do appropriate sessions and share the pacing.  Last night involved a fun little competition to see who was best at pacing a 76 second first 400. My first one was slightly too quick.   Second one bang-on.

YD - Bloody good session that, and I can relate very closely to judging HM potential from a hard 10k tempo. That all looks very promising for a sub-80.

Y D wrote (see)

With the best will in the world we rarely stick to a plan 100%, where do you see the most slippage/amendments to the plan? If you are knackered and need to drop a quality session, what goes first?

If I look back to my last marathon schedule (Beachy Head 2009) I don't recall having to drop any quality sessions purely down to knackeredness.  As it is I'm sure a few bits of "life" got in the way, which gave me opportunity to recharge the batteries as I was going along.  This week alone, Monday and Wednesday evenings are out for training so I'm getting by on a single lunchtime spinning/bike session.  On that note, I spent most of last year getting used to training twice a day, so if I do start wilting I can always drop an easy session and hopefully be better rested for the quality, e.g. drop the gym session before a Thursday MP run.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.