The Middle Ground

22,541 to 22,560 of 27,001 messages
14/01/2013 at 14:05

No time for a long read back post! Thigh niggle turned out to be just that. I rested on Fri and Sat (apart from dog walks and a long walk round the zoo!) 10m in the frosty sunshine yesterday morning and 6m through the slush and sleet this morning, and things seem to be ok.

Shooting home now so Mrs CB can get out for a run as I'm out tonight. 2 in the same house running but never together puts serious demands on time!

14/01/2013 at 14:33

Try  again - shorter version...

Good news on the niggle CB!

Good miles YD - should be storming around BM.

Welcome TOM

MrV ... I will be just about ignoring BM during this week's training as I'm not ready to blast it anyway. Unlike you, who will no doubt smoke it!.

Ratzer - the Nigella of MG.

Simon - 20M is great. You will be strong as an ox for the race season.

Nice XCing Stevie and Phil!

13.2M for me on Sunday morning and then watched my son come in 3rd in a local XC race ... before having several non-alcoholic beers for the first time (I'm repeating last years 1st Jan- Easter Sunday zero alcohol intake). Today will see another 10M ... 5 already done this morning.

Looking forward to seeing some MGers on Sunday.

14/01/2013 at 19:10

Excellent xc racing PP and Stevie.  Curly maybe try lock laces for xc...

Lots of solid training going on, always nice to see!

Watched a video earlier of the Yorkshire indoor championships under 17 race.  A kid who is 15 at the school I work at won, but it was very funny to watch.  I bet the middle distance guys will have something to say about tactics...His pb I believe is under 2 mins - raw talent?

http://www.vincosport.com/videos/2371-u17-men-800m-final/

14/01/2013 at 19:38

Viper - There are no restrictions on what I can do thankfully other than for the 6 weeks after my heart operation but that was a long time ago.  In general running is actually one of the best sports for me to be involved in.  There is a very very small risk that the device in my heart could become unlodged by a sudden and very strong impact, like being rugby tackled, falling off a bike or being hit by a very fast ball.  So running is great in that sense.

Stevie G - any idea why it was milk was causing you problems?  It is kind of hard to believe that it was not food, but drink that was the root cause!

Duck - I have read about how ice baths are great for when you are doing hard sessions or races very close together.  Is this something you do?

Does anyone here use Strava?  I think it is a pretty good idea, but have never bothered to sign up because I assume it is mainly cyclists who use it.  Do many runners use it?

14/01/2013 at 19:39

Josh, milk pretty much is food i realise now.

If in any doubt, drink 2 pints of water and 2 pints of skimmed milk.

The water will rush through you, and the milk won't as much.

That means it's on board, and when it's on board and you work pretty hard you're in trouble.

However, i think the most potent combo to ensure some trouble is lucozade fruit and pasta.

14/01/2013 at 20:06

First MG-er I met was Simon... followed closely by Curly, then Phil. 

Phil, all 10 under 75!? Christ  looking forward to some good race watching at Parliament Hill now.

YD, I have a 400 & a 1500 on Saturday at the new Commonwealth Arena in Glasgow. Largest ever entry for the National Open (120+ for the 400)... and I get drawn in the same heat as Mhairi Hendry (who I've trained with while at Uni) and someone I know from Aberdeen. 

Very nice week's training - I see all you marathon bods have decamped to Keir's thread now 

Simon, I'd like to but I don't think I'm capable anymore - just not enough mileage recently (this is deliberate, I've moved into higher intensity and lower volume as of the NY). A 60 minute long run won't cut it for a 5k and I know it. I'll probably go through the first mile in 5'48 and see what happens  did you have a plan for the day or just go for it and see what happens?

Nice long run Dan, well done to miniDan as well for his XC!

Josh, no never had an ice bath but I make sure I cool down well, eat soon after and stretch a lot too. I was pleasently surprised how much I had Saturday morning. 

Did plyos this morning before work - properly early but got them done and it was a decent session too. Usual kettlebell workout this evening now, but I've added in a bit more volume and I'm coping with it well. Some decent strength being built I hope!

So my 400 heat for Saturday has me - on paper at least - as the second quickest. Everyone's times are within 0.8s of each other so it should be a good race. The 1500 should see me finish about 5/8 if it goes to form. Going down to spectate at Pollock Park for the parkrun first though. 

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 20:10
14/01/2013 at 21:12

First MGers I met were PRF  and Curly at Leeds parkrun ... then YD at Bradford 10K ... then all 3 plus the Brillys at Thirsk. I recenty added Simon to my MG collection on Jan 1st at Bushy parkrun.

Part 2 of today's commute done ... I was cold before I set off (office needs a heater!) and so I didn't relish the thought of heading off outside. And my legs were tired. But the good thing about run commuting is I have no choice if I want my tea!

14/01/2013 at 22:07

Dan, how much do you drink normally? Good to meet on on NYD by the way. I take it you are fully de-lurgied now?

Duck, I hadn't planned anything specific for the 26th, just a good opportunity to meet up and also try a different parkrun. We can set off at 18 minute pace together though if you like, but I can't guarantee I'm in great 5k shape either.

Hilly, good fun to watch. Looks like he deliberately eased up in order to put on a bit of a show.

14/01/2013 at 23:26

5m loop done from work & back to the car tonight to let the commuting traffic die down.  In that time the snow went from wet, to slush, to hard slush to crunchy ice.  If tomorrow's minus forecast is correct I might stick to the treadie - after my recent rib misfortune the last thing I need is to fall over again! 

After a pleasant 13m yesterday I was surprised to see I clocked up 60 miles last week, most I've done for a while.

Fantastic XC work from SG & PP.

PRF.. I didn't make the York party, I was double booked!

CB.. good to hear the niggle has gone.

Can I just say that I haven't met Curly, I'm beginning to feel left out!

Culinary talk.. last night was roast chicken with gravy, boiled potatoes, carrots & broccoli.  Tonight was straight from a kiddies menu.. egg, beans & chips with bread & butter & a cup of tea.  Yum!

15/01/2013 at 00:29

Oo this is an interesting game

My MGer list so far:

Dr Dan
Curly
Simon
PhilPub
Stevie G
Ratzer
BR
Hilly
YD
Mr V
Kelly
Wardi
Alehouse
Young Pup
TOM
Magpie
Minni

....but not Duck! Yet.....

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 00:32
15/01/2013 at 06:48

Gosh even who you've met has become a competition on MG, should someone set a table or WAVA ranking on it?

Simon - I wasn't sure if he deliberately eased off or went off a bit fast and then gave himself a talking to as I saw his head go down just before he rubbed his hands, followed by a slap to the side and a tremendous turn of speed.  He's young I guess and being a showboat, if that was what he was doing, does seem to be a part of athetics on the track these days!

15/01/2013 at 06:48

prf - I meant to say, that was a great tip about carrying a foil blanket on a rural marathon.  Such a simple thing to do and yet could (almost) save a life and I'm sure not many would think about it.  I'll definitely do that on my Castles marathon October.

15/01/2013 at 09:53

You’re just a tart prf, though, I have met Duck  Looking forward to adding Simon to my list and giving him a good spanking at Graves Park in a few weeks. I am also looking forward to beating him over 5k as well.

15/01/2013 at 10:22

YD:  didn't realise Graves Park was like that.

Am continuing to up the metreage with the longest run on Sunday (5 sections adding up to 3600m during a 8k walk): some slight niggles but not Achilles related. Saw you warning Curly but am prepared to take a few risks in a bid to get slightly fitter before my prostate treatment starts on 5th Feb.

I have only met MGers who run for Barnsley Clubs!

15/01/2013 at 10:38
alehouse wrote (see)

YD:  didn't realise Graves Park was like that.

Am continuing to up the metreage with the longest run on Sunday (5 sections adding up to 3600m during a 8k walk): some slight niggles but not Achilles related. Saw you warning Curly but am prepared to take a few risks in a bid to get slightly fitter before my prostate treatment starts on 5th Feb.

I have only met MGers who run for Barnsley Clubs!

Fair enough Alehouse

15/01/2013 at 10:57

YD, in answer to your question a few pages back (i think), yep the thread is going well..but hopefully not near the peak yet!

Forumites met....basically I've only ever met MG members at the Cabbage Patch 10miler!

Simon and Curly in 2011, and Curly, Hilly, BR, PRF, PP and youngpup last year

I feel like I've met Josh from the amount of fb chats we've had, but actually haven't!

Almost met up with YD for a run too...not that it counts but thought i'd put it in anyway!

15/01/2013 at 11:38

Depends who’s in the park Alehouse

Alas, you were a near miss Stevie, if I end up in that neck of the woods anytime soon I will let you know. You will be pleased to hear that I passed the exam that got between us, so all was not lost!

I think I need to tick off our two regular North West posters to complete my Northern MG set. I am running around Greater Manchester for a bit under 3 hours (fingers crossed) in April, that might provide an opportunity

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 11:44
15/01/2013 at 11:59

YD: no doubt I will be standing on some corner of Trafford in April, but not sure that there will be much time for a conversation!

15/01/2013 at 12:16

Not with all the spanking... 

15/01/2013 at 12:24

Met a few MGers, but Curly will always be the first!

What day are we on?  Think it's track tonight.  Rest yesterday, not feeling the niggle.  Good to hear that from CB too!

Duck, plyos first thing in the morning.  Do you feel stiffer, less springy?  (... waiting... waiting...  no comments?)  I wonder because given the time to warm up naturally through the day would plyos perhaps be more risky first thing, or have a different result?  As they're supposed to increase stiffness, I wonder if it's actually better for you to do them first thing?  Just wondering, no idea what's better.

Last night was KFC.  Tonight is probably going to be bean soup.  (What's this?  It's bean soup.  I don't care what it's been, what is it now?!)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.