The Middle Ground

22,561 to 22,580 of 27,001 messages
15/01/2013 at 12:56

Y D.. I think George Michael may be showing up at Graves Park if you are making such promises.     I remember the famous headline after his misdemeanour in the park..  'Zip Me Up Before You Go-Go'.

15/01/2013 at 13:52

Simon, that sounds good to me. As long I don't suicide mile 2 like I in November (5'43) then there might be a chance.

Wardi, nice week there. 

prf... good things to those who wait 

Ratzer, I thought of something similar, but in all honesty they felt pretty normal and I was doing about the same distances/heights as I normally do. Still playing around with it, might try them in the evening next time and see if it makes any difference.

Well so far this week I've run a grand total of 1.3M. Today was skills sprints - usual setup of 30/30/40m @ 80/90/100% max v. More progress seen I think - 13.4, 13.5, 13.2, 13.2, 13.2 to continue the trend of about 0.1s per week improvement since mid December. Did two practice start for the 400 too, which came out as 13.6, 13.3. 

Given the 400 is such a tough event to pace right, I'm probably going to try out for more even splits Saturday - 27/28 would give me 55 flat so the first 100 would probably need to be around 13.7-13.8 to account for a faster second 100. It'll mean easing up on the gas at the start which might take some getting used to!

WJH
15/01/2013 at 14:05

Hi all...some good training and racing going on as always (too much to comment on in such a short time as currently at the end of lunch in work). Not met anyone from here yet - the chance was there at Netley Abbey on New Years Day to add your long tally prf!

Talking of Netley Abbey, I ended up running another Parkrun there on Saturday...this one in 20:28 what with poor weather conditions and plenty of puddles and mud underfoot - it was the same course to that which was set up on New Years Day which included the extra incline and in doing so, avoided the worst of the flooded paths and potholes.

I finished a place and around 10 seconds behind no other than regular Parkrunner Iwan Thomas. He was being paced around and I passed him a few times during the race before he managed to pull away over the last mile or so following a strong uphill surge on the last lap. If only I was competing against him like this 10-15 years ago....although 400 metres is a completely different event again!

Other than that, last week was decent with just over 30 miles ran in total (weekly mileage totals of the previous 3 weeks: 26, 28 and 28). 2 hockey games on Sunday and another last night have really kept things busy as well. It's the Stubbington 10k this coming Sunday and I am thinking of doing one key quality session tonight and one longer run later in the week with the Brighton Marathon the longer term focus - I will probably do this on Thursday. Other than that, it's then taking things easy in the lead up to Sunday.

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 14:08
WJH
15/01/2013 at 16:05

The thread's shifting at the moment, a bit like a lot of the runners on it!

Well done Dr Dan Jr

It sounds like the recovery is coming along Alehouse. It must be good to get moving again after so long.

I've only met BR and Hilly, and run past Alehouse in his striking pink beanie! I'll let you have my number this year so you can shout "Come on Chubby!" as I wobble past! (hopefully I won't be running next to somebody fat at the time, as it could cause confusion / dismay!

Managed to enter Trafford and Salford 10ks, and sort out the number swap for Helsby on Sunday. Just got Whitley 10k for my Easter races to enter, but it could be a while before their admin system kicks in!

15/01/2013 at 16:29

CB: does that mean you are NOT doing Helsby? I may be watching! I  also hope to  be at all of the other 3 races you mention!

15/01/2013 at 16:39

Wardi - all this careless whispering could give me an undeserved reputation!

Alehouse, a little less conversation and a little more action might be appropriate come April.

True, you don’t want to have a suicide blonde moment during a 5k Duck

15/01/2013 at 21:32
alehouse wrote (see)

CB: does that mean you are NOT doing Helsby? I may be watching! I  also hope to  be at all of the other 3 races you mention!

No - it means I am doing Helsby! I'll look out for you (snow permitting!) I'll post my number when I get it.

15/01/2013 at 21:44

Ye northern folk with knowledge of late summer/autumn races.  I was trying to plan my build up to the Frankfurt Mara late October but 10m+ races within 50 miles or so seem to be pretty thin on the ground in Aug/Sept/Oct.  The Selby half marathon became the Wistow 10 which then became the Wistow 10k!  I need something a bit longer than that - any suggestions?  I can't do the Askern 10.

4+7m today, stuck to the treadie as planned.

Looks like a chilly forecast for the York BM.  Hope there isn't too much ice around Sat night/Sunday morning or I suppose they might have to consider cancelling.

15/01/2013 at 21:49

Eccup Wardi or Sale 10 (cant remember when they are!). Or come and do Cabbage Patch down south!

15/01/2013 at 22:04

I will try to find out about the Sale 10...I suspect it is doubtful because of the metro extension which prevented last year's race taking place.

Long slow run today: 15 minutes! Feels like a major breakthrough...but mustn't speak too soon. Wanted to get a "reasonable" run in before seeing Qof P tomorrow evening.

15/01/2013 at 22:21
Alehouse - nice progress.

I had another blonde moment this evening. Hill session, supposed to be 5 laps (x 4 hills) of Hilly Fields but I got confused and carried on for 6 with a couple of guys who turned up late. D'oh! Still, 14.7M with 24 hill reps (average ~1 min effort) must be a good marathon session, eh?
15/01/2013 at 22:25

Wardi – Great Eastern Half in Oct, not local, but easy to get to from York on the East Coast mainline.
Isle of Axholme Half (near Donny), £££ GNR £££, Redcar Half (fast course but on the coast) Worksop Half, all in Sept (from memory).
RE: Brass Monkey, cancelling it crossed my mind tonight, pretty slippy out, wouldnt want to race in those conditions, will see what the weekend brings.

Excellent news on the run Alehouse!

Can’t believe I didn’t even get a groan with my awful puns! Anyway, 10 miles easy tonight, bloomin cold and slippy out, fancied some faster running but conditions would not allow.

15/01/2013 at 22:39

Wardi - I think the Major Stone HM organised by East Hull Harriers is in that timescale.  Isle of Axholme Half is decent, if potentially exposed.  It has my seal of approval

Great news Alehouse.   So happy to be back in my old Barnsley club.  Tonight I received two large boxes full of press cuttings going back to 1974 abour Barnsley Road Runners and Barnsley AC.  I feel a history of running in Barnsley coming on...

PP - how nice of the London Borough of Lewisham to name a park after our own female Barnsley runner.  It looks as if after many years you'll finally hit VLM in shape to race it.

Whatever little energy I have was expended on two or three selected hills in the above Yorkshire town tonight.  It's not big and it's not clever, but it was hilly run night...

15/01/2013 at 22:40

I think Worksop is October - the end of the month.

15/01/2013 at 22:40

I think Worksop is in Nottinghamshire - the end of the north.

15/01/2013 at 22:56

Wow too many post to comment on again - sorry!

Phi - there was me thinking our session tonight of 8 miles with 14 of tough Barnsley hills was a hard one and then I read  you did 24!!  Although some of ours were longer than 1 min

16/01/2013 at 07:54

There's a Ranelagh Harriers history book BR so I know it does get done! Any progress on your calf?

Nice sessions from Hilly and Phil. Wow 24 reps

I did 2 x 10 mins @ 10k (6:50 ish) pace last night, felt great, was chatting and all up for a third but Magpie was feeling quite tired,so we stopped there. Still over 10 miles in total for the day. Not too shabby

16/01/2013 at 09:05

Sounds like some good hill sessions taking place last night!

Wardi/YD – They are currently saying that the BM course is well gritted and the surrounding roads are clear so I think there’s a fairly good chance it will go ahead. It may  even be a plus temperature by Sunday if we are lucky

Physio session for me last night and thankfully nothing wrong with me apart from tight muscles. So a good (if painful) loosening off should help things. Not sure how I’m going to run tonight as Newcastle seems to be one big ice rink. As per YD I think I can rule out any faster stuff for the moment.

16/01/2013 at 09:35

Nice work on the extra helpings of hill reps Phil, treat yourself to some extra helpings of that delicious looking soup (posted on bookface) as a reward!

Borderline BR, I always say the North starts at Sheffield

Nice pace on the 10k reps Curly.

Forecast isn’t all that bad for Sunday now, so I think you are right to expect BM to go ahead Mr V

16/01/2013 at 10:05

Br/illy - A hilly Tuesday all round!  When you fancy more parkrun tourism, Hilly Fields was inaugurated last year with the help of some likely suspects (not me mind, I just went along afterwards for coffee.)  I really ought to give it a go at some point since it's my local one.  It's not quite as hilly as our hill session there but as you can imagine, still a little bit up and down.

YD - Batch #2 all flasked up and ready for lunch. I made a little more than usual so 700ml ought to keep me going.

Curly - chatting at 10k pace?  Must be getting fit! 

Good luck with weekend race weather, everyone.  We don't appear to have much precipitation forecast over the next few days here so as long as I double up on gloves, training shouldn't be disrupted.  I suppose 12M @ MP could be fun on the treadmill, mind. 

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 10:06
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.