The Middle Ground

22,601 to 22,620 of 26,932 messages
18/01/2013 at 00:21

In that case your medal is withdrawn Dr.Dan

Great tempo run PP, next time you will surely be the fastest thing in orange!

Brian.. Frankfurt Mara on 27th Oct for me.  Haven't done an autumn marathon since 2005 so quite looking forward to training at a different time of year.  I did enter Amsterdam in 2010 but when me old Mum got very ill I had to cancel.  All the best with the training.

Y D.. thanks for the race tips.

18/01/2013 at 09:40

Wardi - Race kit not 100% finalised yet but if I decide to wear my Union Jack Brooks Green Silence it may well be blue & red with a hint of white. Unless there's extreme public demand for orange.    And enjoy your Summer/Autumn marathon training.  I found there was more drinking involved but at least there's little chance of snow and ice scuppering your schedule.

Speaking of which, where's this snow?

18/01/2013 at 10:42

Phil – Good effort. I struggle to get up to speed at all when it’s this cold (though you’ve probably got a few extra degrees where you are!)

Kelly – I found even the town moor was treacherous last night. I assumed it would be ok, got a bit complacent and then only just avoided hitting the deck with lots of comedy arm swinging.

I managed just over 8 miles last night at 9m/m. Wasn’t safe going any faster with all the ice. Don’t think I’ve been so cold and miserable on a run for a long time! I had planned a rest day tonight to keep fresh for BM but might just run anyway. I’m assuming the BM will either be off or slow conditions so I guess it doesn’t matter. On the other hand I hate running when it’s like this so if it provides an excuse for a rest day.....

18/01/2013 at 10:59

Cracking tempo last night Phil, as for snow, tonight apparently…..

Don’t want to be thinking about Dr Dan in only a pair of shorts!

I have a similar dilemma Mr V, I want to be fresh for BM, but think its probably off, so may as well run today. If its on then it wont be fast, though I will have lots of rivals to chase, so racing people not the clock will be the order of the day. Mmmmm decisions decisions.
The forecast is for snow overnight, Brass Monkey on/off decision will be made early afternoon tomorrow, but I have a back-up long run planned with a clubmate who is also doing Brass Monkey. So I should be able to salvage something decent from the weekend.

I got selected to test out my companies Business Continuity plans for the day, just in case the snow causes travel chaos, it hasn’t and the sun is shining so I am ‘working’ from home today!

18/01/2013 at 12:24

Well Dulwich wil be off for us tomorrow as although it would be fine to run (snow fallen on dry pavements will refreeze but be okay), getting there would be difficult. Thus I am probably going to switch my long run to tomorrow as I am working on Sunday so dont have timebm to find somewhere off road, run slowly if necessary.

I suspect BM will be off guys if its anything like down here. Its the roads that are the issue for big races!

Good sessions from Mr Viper and Phil and good grit from Dr Dan, Kelly  and Mr V to get out there in what sounds like much worse conditions than we have. LOL about 'working from home' YD!

7 miles @ 8:46 for me this morning, only about an inch of snow, but getting higher all the time!

18/01/2013 at 12:28

A smattering of snow here, and a school full of loony kids who don't listen when they get told there's no hope of school closing early! A lovely chilly 6 miles this morning. Slightly less woried about Helsby being cancelled (but as clubmate wouldn't take any money for his number it's not too much of a worry)

Enjoy the snow everyone. 

18/01/2013 at 13:02
Mr V - I kept to the edges of the path and basically ran on the frozen grass. I just wanted somewhere where there was powdered snow. The main path was more iffy - it is always wet with the water draining off the hills anyway. There was a stream of water that had cut through the ice at one point.

I'm not really bothered about BM and am not in shape for a race (through will still run it if it is on), so I wasn't worried about wasting energy by running today. Another 8 miles, but this time around the perimeter of the field/park opposite the Freeman. 10 soul destroying laps. I hate laps. My pace was 9.33! Hard work, but safe underfoot.

I'm doing another 3 this afternoon and looks like I'll have to go back there. It is snowing again now quite heavily, so hopefully the ground will be more crunchy and less slippy. Received a text to say my eldest's school will be closing at 2.45 "due to the expected weather". That should get him home about 3.20... right when I have to be at my other kids' school to collect them. The joys of snow!
18/01/2013 at 15:03

hi folks, probably a stupid question..but do parkruns generally get cancelled in the snow?

For once, it could be ideal to do my planned session to combine with it! But i expect now I've entertained the idea, it'll be off anyway

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 15:07
18/01/2013 at 15:13

They vary, is the only answer I can give! If the course is alright, and they can get volunteers there, then it's on. If there's a slippy car park, then maybe not. And lots of other factors!

For me, I've binned a planned trip to Manchester, might even get money back on the train ticket if Virgin's tweetness is to be believed, and will be quite happy not to go to St Albans if the Fred Hughes 10 is called off. It's a great burn up, but if I can't give it everything I might as well go longer and slower in Surrey.

18/01/2013 at 15:14

Oh, and if you're interested in a particular one, lots of parkruns are very good at updating their Facebook pages - more so than their official news pages, as FB's better for short, regular updates. They probably do the same on Twitter, too, though I've not checked.

18/01/2013 at 15:18

Best bet is to check out the parkrun in question on FB - HW should be okay Stevie as its grass isnt it?

Usually its ice that causes cancellations rather than snow, off road ones are more than likely fine as you can always wer spikes anyway. The only reason we arent doing Dulwich now is because I wanted to race one before the 10k. Got my number today too for Chichester and entered Maidenhead for some MP action (if it goes wrong this year I am so having my money back ).

TOM we've had about 3 inches already hows it for you? I thought you lived near Hilly Fields rather than out our way?

18/01/2013 at 15:24

curly, had a look on their page...nothing. have mailed a pal who helps arrange it.

Might be interesting...session is meant to be a progression run in 4mile blocks of Easy, steady and MP, so the plan would be to make the start at the MP section!

it's grass so might be on then? Wonder what nutters turn up to 9am snowy parkruns!

i should probably stress that the snow is very very heavy here all of a sudden, and still snowing

I'll see you at Chichy then Curly...well...pending my number turning up, and pending the weather clearly!!

Maidenhead, i also need to exorcise, as when I last did it 2 years ago it was soo hot it was plain ridiculous.

A mixture of the heat, and it not fitting in with the London marathon meant I came 29th in 2011, in a slower time than coming 75th or so in 2010!! 

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 15:29
18/01/2013 at 15:27

I should be well tapered for the Maidenhead 10, because there's no cross country race the day before. 

18/01/2013 at 15:32

Lol Phil. We'll be running it in 75 mins if all goes to plan. Felt weird putting that on the entry form

No sign of Magpie's number for Chichester yet so I suspect its just the women that have their so far!

18/01/2013 at 15:33

just heard, wycombe park run is cancelled! seems sensible!

doh...12miles on my own on the same park it is then

18/01/2013 at 15:33

I'm actually optimistic about BM being on but would actually be quite happy if it is rearranged as I'd probably get more value out of it in a few weeks time.

I've just made the call for Dewsbury parkrun and it is ON.

20% is clear, 80% covered in snow - but it is grippy enough and I dont actually think times will be affected too much.

18/01/2013 at 15:34

I've moved again, Curly - back to Thames Ditton (which was snowy, but the train sadly took me to work in town alright), though I'm going to be very nomadic over the next year; having a year off work, starting in March.

A rare weekend for you, PP! Maidenhead is a great race (even last year, with the course direction snafu).

18/01/2013 at 15:41

I think more get cancelled than they used to PRF...bad luck Stevie. At least you get the park to yourself!

TOM ah you arent far away from us (about 5 miles I think).

What are you doing in your year off?

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 15:41
18/01/2013 at 15:52

Curly - remember our first run at Wimbledon? If that was the benchmark then none would ever get cancelled

But I'm certainly not going to cancel a parkrun just because it is covered in snow.....

Although I notice Duck has cancelled his! Probably worse up there.

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 15:53
18/01/2013 at 16:16

prf – I am like you, would prefer if it was rearranged, I would rather run it hard in better conditions. A 21 miler in the hills will do me just as much good at this stage.

Lookign at bookface, all the parkruns in my news feed are talking about going ahead in the morning.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.