The Middle Ground

22,621 to 22,640 of 26,892 messages
18/01/2013 at 18:06
Newcastle has only been cancelled once due to ice and even then most people ran it anyway unofficially. We've gone ahead in all sorts of weather.

I don't mind running whatever the conditions, but I really do feel sorry for the volunteers sometimes. Very exposed there and I'm sure it has its own weather system

I'll be there tomorrow for a slow run and it's our 3rd anniversary, so buffet afterwards. I was #1 female in the 2012 table (been 2nd and 3rd previously) so a token prize awaits.

I do hope BM is postponed, or just called off - I'm thinking of a nice lie in with no kids!

Phil - There has been a XC meet the day of, or before, every race I've wanted to do for the last few months and the one weekend I can take it easy and the race is unlikely. Typical. I still can't get over your sub 6 12m training run! Should be a very good year for you.
18/01/2013 at 18:47

Dan - why the hell are you wearing shorts???  If you can minimise your risk of picking up an injury by simply keeping your legs warm why wouldn't you?

PRF - In previous park runs I have done in the snow there has been a significant drop-off in times.  It may be a good idea to have the course checked on the morning of the race for ice as the conditions seem to be so volatile

8 easy, 6 steady and 8 easy for tues, wed, thurs from me.  Another 6 steady for tomorrow may have to be effort rather than pace orientated and off-road.  Not looking forward to a 12 miler in snow on Sunday, but I have vowed to myself that every run my coach asks for will be done with no excuses.

In times like this I like to think that Steve Jones and Ron Hill would be out training no matter what, and was wondering if there is a good source of info to learn more about them and how they trained other than what is in Lore of Running and Marathon Talk interviews.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

18/01/2013 at 19:22

Probably a few people on the thread might get the chance to ask Mr Hill questions directly on occasion, and I know a few guys who trained and raced with Mr Jones.  I haven't found out any secrets though, except that he definitely did squat down in that tunnel allowing Charlie Spedding to pop out first.  (Sorry, little Welsh runner's joke there...)

Very enjoyable session on the track last evening, with 3 sets of 3 reps of 150m, with 30s between reps.  Cooling down with 6x100 FRS.  Once again left my legs in tatters, perfect for keeping it exceptionally slow today, which, combined with the snow and the fact I had about twelve layers on, meant only eleven and a half miles. It took over 2 hours though.  Probably a few reasons for that.  Okay, 6 inches of snow was one reason.  Still snowing was another.  Taking my phone in case of emergencies and then stopping all the time to take photos...  Practicing my squatting down in the middle of a marathon...  Avoiding cars having trouble getting up the roads I was coming down, and even more drastic avoidance the other way around.  Then there was the scarifying wind on the exposed roads and hilltops!  Wow, swaddled in clothes but I still had to cover my face with my hands!  But overall it was lovely!  Beautiful!  It was a short run, but my goal was time on feet over two hours and after the first twenty five minutes uphill leaving my calves and thighs aching the rest was a delightful breeze.

MrV, for the fast sessions generally mile upwards just gradually increasing pace around the track, then indoors to the warmth for static stretching (I like to be safe rather than fast), then back out for another lap and then drills, strides and accelerations over 20-30 metres with walkbacks, finally a few dynamic stretches.  I also tend to take the first rep or two gently, to make sure everything is working properly.  Then it's race all the zippynippers.  And BAM! I'm suddenly embarassed by how old and slow I am.

Oh, Newport parkrun is off too.  Just in case anyone was thinking of doing it.  I actually was!  But only because Boy Ratzer had his footie called off.  Something to do with heavy snow on tree branches, and we've had quite a few of them come down last night and today!

DrD, I'm quietly wishing I was far fitter.

18/01/2013 at 19:37

Evening!

Josh: Dr.Ron would admire your "be out what ever what" mentality, I'm sure, and I think also that he would say that was the key to his success. Consistent consistency, as some would say, or "in it for the long term", "no quick answers" etc. Have you read his autobiographies..."The Long Hard Road", with part one being called "Nearly to the Top", and Part two, "To the Peak and Beyond". Lots of detail (too much for most!)!

Quick Achilles etc update. Had massage on Wednesday and masseuse, who knows my lkegs only too well, was pleased. Howvever, the Achilles, and my "good" calf have been a little tender since, not helped by driving for 9 hours out of the last 24, going from Manchester to Leicester to take my mother to an appointment (dementia: think she has caught it off me). Got stuck in snow and took over 4 hours coming back for a journey that is less than 2 hours normally. Anyway, can't be too good for the legs!

Hilly/BR:  you may remember me talking to masseuse after the Trafford 10k last year. Here's an interesting clip of her from the TV this morning! Brave girl!

http://www.itv.com/daybreak/hottopics/lance-armstrong-emma-oreilly/

There's a lot more to come out yet!

18/01/2013 at 19:56
Josh Blatchford wrote (see)

PRF - In previous park runs I have done in the snow there has been a significant drop-off in times.  It may be a good idea to have the course checked on the morning of the race for ice as the conditions seem to be so volatile

But this misses the point of what a parkrun is, Josh.

If we're at the park to check the course then we're going to have a run, regardless of conditions. And if anyone wants to join us then they're welcome.

And, hey presto, what do you know we've just had a parkrun.

Thats what a parkrun is, a relaxed run at 9am on a Saturday morning for a group of friends. An Event Director doesnt suggest that anyone should run, that is their choice. How exactly would you stop someone running around a park if they so desired?

In other words, cancellations are pretty irrelevant if the event team is there anyway.

WJH
18/01/2013 at 20:28
Hi everyone. I normally love to snow as I have a strong interest in meteorology and have often got my eye on the forecast for the week ahead and longer! As much as I love snow, it's a real shame that it could potentially result in race plans for some of you being cancelled this weekend! I will find out whether the Stubby 10k will be on by 1pm tomorrow. Will be a shame if its called off but the safety of running in these conditions makes it very understandable.

So far I have managed a tempo run and long run this week...the tempo run being the better success on Tuesday although it was good to get 13 miles in last night in 8:30 m/m pace approx. Legs were heavy over the last 4 miles or so...but its much better compared to this time last year in preparing for Brighton. Regardless of Sunday, a few days rest is probably what is needed to pick things up again!

Parkrun's that are fairly local to me are cancelled tomorrow.
WJH
18/01/2013 at 21:20

Wardi, Frankfurt should be good. And Summer training will deffo de different for you.
I found it hard because I tried to hit the paces I could in the Winter, but the warmer weather makes it harder, particularly for the longer runs.

Still snowing, and bliddy cold out there!!!

If you're racing this weekend, hope it's on and you have a good 'un.

18/01/2013 at 21:52

Cheers Brian.  I do a series of 6 x 10k's in the summer (one every two weeks) which should hopefully sharpen me up for the autumn (with a few Parkruns thrown in).

I had a drive through Bishopthorpe tonight (the nearest you will get to a built up area on the Brass Monkey course!) and the snow was starting to lie this evening.  More to come overnight so I guess it all depends on gritting, whether it freezes etc.  My gut feeling is that it won't happen given no sign of a thaw.  Like Y D much as I enjoy a romp in the snow I think I would rather run it in better conditions and give it a good blast. 

18/01/2013 at 22:34

Totally agree with PRF:  a parkrun is just that...a run around a park, with friends, and if it is timed over a certain distance, then so much the better! Postponing or cancelling advertised races is quite different.

19/01/2013 at 13:21
Is everyone out building snowmen? Surprisingly pleasant conditions down here for running, a mixture of fairly grippy fresh snow, gritted roads and the odd bit of slush, but not cold enough for ice. So a little more heavy going than normal but managed 22 miles @ 7:26/m. I'm glad we binned the idea of any MP running though. Think I've done enough of that this week.
19/01/2013 at 13:28

cracking efforts to the cause Phil!

12.5miles myself, technically a progression run of 4mile blocks of easy, steady, and MP, but I wasn't going to be consistently hitting 6.10 pace in these conditions, so came out as intensity rather than pace!

19/01/2013 at 13:33
Word on John Schofield race website is that BM is cancelled due to extensive ice on the course.

Lie in
19/01/2013 at 13:48

Yes indeed Kelly, also on KH website.  Lie in here too!

19/01/2013 at 15:14
Briefly, I am on my phone. Lots to read back, will do when I am back home tomorrow!

Today in a nutshell:

400 - well paced first lap, ran my own race and didn't get dragged along. Got boxed in after 250, had to slow down, move to the outside and accelerate again! Plenty strength left to kick past on final bend, WON in pb of 55.75. Felt great at the end (relatively) so more to come here I think.

1500 - tired, on my own from 800 out. 4.37 (pb) felt like a hard mile interval so happy with time and effort put in.

Not a bad day at all!
Edited: 19/01/2013 at 15:15
19/01/2013 at 16:19
Nice win, Duck! And 2 PBs. Can't ask for more than that!
19/01/2013 at 17:00

Duck - Brilliant stuff, I didnt realise you were in PB shape at the moment. You're on fire!

Phil - Cracking run. An untroubled  MP+90 22 miler is a significant building block in that 2:34:56 mission!

19/01/2013 at 17:01
Bloody hell Duck, that 400 sounds right tasty! I should give it a go one day but I'd be surprised if I could break a minute.

Sorry to hear about BM. Take care out there kids!

Thinking about the wisdom of getting the bike out tomorrow. May well have an epic 2 hour turbo session, but wondering whether time will go quicker with either telly or music. Hmmm...
19/01/2013 at 17:25

Awesome running from Duck, wow you won thats brilliant. Good news about more to come too!

Phil sounds much better out your way than ours - we'd had a lot of snow (10cms I think), but I suspect you will be getting the brunt of it tonight/tomorrow so good work on a cracking long run!

I also did my long run (although didnt get up early enough to do it with a parkrun) 20 miles @ a very sedate, but necessary 9:25 avg pace. Conditions were tough, especially the 7 miles in Bushy park, but felt great at the end so I'm happy enough with that. Hoping it wont snow too much tomorrow so I can get out for another 7 to make a nice 60 mile week

Sorry to the BMers

19/01/2013 at 17:39

alehouse - yes we remember you mentioning her.  Interesting interview.

Well done on the long runs Phil and Curly.

Duck - excellent times and nice pbs/wins!

Plenty of snow here as you can imagine.  The Trans Pennine Trail is okay to run on though, but yes a litter tougher than normal.  BR still suffering horridly with this strange virus, so his running is next to nothing at present.

Hope BM folk get an automatic entry to next year's race!  Not sure about folk being told that a memento is available for collection at the venue tomorrow!  No good for anyway to lives a distance away and was going to drive up in the morning especially in the conditions out there and not sure folk would be that desperate anyhow to collect a t-shirt for a race they never got to run...

19/01/2013 at 19:05

Hilly.. I was rather hoping that they would re-schedule the BM if possible, it has happened with a few local races.

Great track PB's Duck!

Well dones to Curly & PP for long runs in this weather & a good session from SG.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.