The Middle Ground

22,701 to 22,720 of 26,382 messages
24/01/2013 at 17:49
Curly45 wrote (see)

Some funny niggles from all the snow running though

Ditto. Felt a bit of metatarsalgia in one foot, and the other ankle is very stiff. Inevitable when suddenly doing 4-5 days wearing studded XC trainers, with long stretches on road

24/01/2013 at 19:50

Kelly ... sounds like running on the ice is the least of you worried!

Curly... encouraging indeed!

YD - 21 miles ... nuff said!

Mr V ... 12 and a bit miles with 9.2 at MP. Average pace of 6.34 (for the MP bit) on a very hilly route... is a cracking run!

Just more double run commuting here ... dull and often fatiguing after a day at work but it's doing the job. I'll pull back on the mileage once I start including a weekly session, but in just under 3 weeks I've already topped my best month's mileage from last year. If I can grind this out with all the bad weather and current over-load at work and home, then hopefully I can maintain it when conditions improve.

24/01/2013 at 21:12

YD - I'm rather stuck without a car otherwise I'd have been tempted. Perhaps it may be best to avoid 21 milers with my slightly dodgy leg anyway!

Dan - Nice to see you able to get some consistent miles in. Snake Lane will hopefully be a good one for you.

PRF - I think sub 60 might be a bit of a stretch at the moment. However if Snake Lane suggests I'm not too far away I may be tempted to throw caution to the wind at Thirsk and see what happens.....

24/01/2013 at 21:47
Curly - Great session.

Kelly - sounds like an ordeal. Hats off to you, and your attitude.

MrV - That's very nice pace considering your interrupted training. A well baked cake obviously! Birthday drinks went down well except I had to move on to London Pride when all the Doom Bar ran out. Tough times!

I had a belter of a tempo session this evening. 11 miles inc. 2 x 3.33M laps continuous tempo.
1st lap: 5:42/m AHR 162, MHR 166
2nd lap: 5:26/m AHR 174, MHR 178
Best of all, when I resumed jogging at the end of the second lap, I felt fresher than I can remember after a hard tempo effort. Somewhere between all the XC, MP runs and cycling, my legs have definitely got stronger. Where's this marathon?!
25/01/2013 at 08:03

That's some insanely impressive running PP.

Well done on the hilly MP Mr V.

Good session on the grass Curly.

21 miles YD! Marathon training is coming on well then.

No running since Tuesday morning for me. I was wiped out. I went home early on Wednesday as I couldn't control my temperature levels and was struggling to stay awake. Lots of sleep later I'm regulating temp now but still drained. New shoes arrived yesterday as well...

25/01/2013 at 08:07
Morning all

As always, there's loads of great training and commitment being shown by everyone.

I, on the other hand, am still recovering from my calf strain, and this week has been 4.5 miles Monday, physio Tuesday, 6 miles yesterday, and hopefully a parkrun and a 10mile Run in Sunday. This will take me to around 25 miles for the week, which feels sensible.

My physio is trained in the use of acupuncture needles, so as part of the session he stuck some needles into my calf muscle, and then seemed to spend 5-10 minutes moving them about a bit and making my leg twitch and shake involuntarily....

Although I wasn't all that sure about it at the time, I think it has definitely helped, and I reckon my leg is now almost fully recovered, and hopefully I will still be able to run Chichester at something approaching full effort.

Phil - Doom Bar is a great pint... If only I wasn't having a dry Jamuary
25/01/2013 at 11:27

After all the great running, and improvement from so many I was feeling a bit left out, but I can at least join in with CB and YP. Bit of a shortened week for me, as a cold then got topped up with a norovirus type thing, wiping me out for Tuesday and Wednesday. Managed 8 yesterday, though I'm not convinced that was very smart, as I was tired in the afternoon and had a bit of a relapse. With a bit of luck I'll be recovered in time for the Perch on Sunday. And with a bit more luck I'll have tapered for it, with a few good weeks from earlier in January giving me a shuffle on.

25/01/2013 at 11:45

YD, very true, Moraghan needs to start off sarcasm threads too I think.

Grat MP run there, HR stats look very favourable too.

Mr V, always difficult to motivate yourself when the conditions are crap. I reckon just getting anything done right now is a victory in itself.

Good doubles still Dan!

Can't come soon enough for you by sounds of it Phil! Great sessions again.

I'm down in London now & went out with Curly this morning. She had a multipace session to do (I'll let her give the nitty-gritty of it) which she said would be about 10.5 miles. My longest run since starting base has been 9M, so it would probably be a bit tough but managable. 

12 miles later and I don't feel too bad  Good to get some miles under the belt! 

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 11:57
25/01/2013 at 13:17

Duck, you've just thrown 30% of your FT fibres out the window with that run Are you still going for sub-18 tomorrow?

25/01/2013 at 13:23
Still up for sub-18, although Crane parkrun fb page says it's very icy in places and that we should be prepared for a late cancellation. In that case we were thinking Bushy as an alternative if that would work?

But yeah, no more speed for me
25/01/2013 at 13:32

CB -  Hope you're feeling better soon! What new shoes did you order?

Duck - Never trust a woman with things like distance, route-maps, etc....

TOM - hope you enjoy the Perch. I'll be running around Nonsuch on Saturday morning and have run the Perch a couple of times when it was held on Epsom Downs. 

25/01/2013 at 13:41

Afternoon! Just dropping in to report a 3k run in 20.37. If I knock 11:54 of I'll break my PB.

Calf sufferers, be warned! Sometimes we have to be careful stretching: see clip (and probably not one to open when working!).

Don't stretch after jogging

Enjoy the weekend, especially those going to "foreign" lands: don't drink too much of the black stuff.

25/01/2013 at 13:45

Duck I love these distance-runners' things (I'm staying well clear of attributing it to sex) "ooh, it'll be about 6 miles". 6 miles later, and you're wondering why you don't recognise anything around you.

Good luck at parkrun tomorrow. The ice might scupper a time charge, though there are just a few turns on that course. I'm off to the new Temple Newsam, who are making impressively enthusiastic and bullish noises on FB despite the cancellation of other parkruns so it sounds like a cert.

Thanks YP. It's a race I usually miss, though I did run it once on the Downs; with a snow shower flurrying through the trees it was scenically wonderful, though I was disappointed with my run.

25/01/2013 at 13:55

Duck, I've never done Crane but I see some of it is run on paved paths which if icy might scupper an attempt regardless of whether it's on or not. I guess Curly is best to advise there.

As for Bushy, I'm happy to head over instead. I suspect the last 1k or so will be a bit slippy after the weather we've had but that sholdn't be a problem in the right shoes.

BTW I can't guarantee I can actually run sub 18 myself at the moment - I'm certainly not back to full fitness yet, but I can definitely pace the first mile for you then see what happens

X-post with TOM. Nice to see us both choosing the word "scupper". I must try to use it more often. Good luck at the Perch

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 13:57
25/01/2013 at 18:55
TOM Temple Newsam has been cancelled along with a load of other West Yorkshire parkruns.
25/01/2013 at 19:45
The Duckinator wrote (see)

I'm down in London now & went out with Curly this morning. She had a multipace session to do (I'll let her give the nitty-gritty of it) which she said would be about 10.5 miles. My longest run since starting base has been 9M, so it would probably be a bit tough but managable. 

12 miles later and I don't feel too bad  Good to get some miles under the belt! 

Ah Ducky, reminds me of a time I drove to a girl pal's place for a long run. She'd go on the bike, I'd run it at gentle pace. About 10miles we said.

Except she didn't realise that she couldn't cycle at her normal pace as I was ...running... but still kept on at too fast a pace, so I had to push hard.

And she got us lost

And it was the hottest day of the year, and we had no water.

I didn't even have a GPS that day, but it must have been at least 15miles. Really dull country lanes that could have been anywhere.

One of my bottom 3 runs ever

Sounds a better run between the pair of you though..how long are you in this area for?

Hour tempo for me, alternating in 3mins sections between HMP and Steady. Came out 9.62miles in the houre, average 6.14. That's basically my MP....and if you said go and run MP for 9 1/2miles i'd baulk! But it went fairly smoothly....bar some hip ache...but that's another story!

25/01/2013 at 20:15
LOL Stevie

Simon, Bushy is the decision for tomorrow - just making sure you know
26/01/2013 at 11:13

Bit of a chance to read back now I have some time.

TOM - I'm anything but a distance runner  believe me 12 miles is a struggle. I'll eat a session of 200s/400s but anything more than that and I'll struggle.

Did you get to a parkrun eventually?

We went down to Bushy this morning, which was really worthwhile  felt decent enough warming up with Simon so decided to go for it and see what happened - which meant starting right at the front 

Grassy first K was decent, but I discovered quite quickly I was probably in the wrong shoes - I wore my Inov8 150s which have very little grip on them, so on the slippery grass and mud I was struggling quite badly to hit any sort of pace. Still went through in a comfortable 3'41 and began to wind it up after the first turn.

Next 2k were great - I felt very strong and got some good momentum going. Simon dropped back after about 2.5k but I was feeling very good at this stage and was running off a few in front (3'37/3'35). Not working as hard as I would normally do around 3k in a 5k race, so I was starting to think now that maybe, just maybe there was a sub-18.

2k to go and the conditions changed back to road for a short while then to slippery grass. With a mile to go I was really hopeful of ducking (no pun intended) under 18 but into the final 1.5k it got very slippery and I really struggled just to stay upright! Basically going one step backwards for 2 forwards and the runners I had passed came back past me as I really struggled to find grip. Still feeling quite strong and knew if I was on the road I would have been able to keep a hard pace up, but just did what I could. Final k in 3'54, plus a bit more for garmin overdistance  for 18'37 overall, and 16th place!

Pleased I felt so strong a day after a 12-miler, put in a decent effort level but couldn't really push on in the final mile due to the conditions. A good run all things considered. 

26/01/2013 at 11:52

PP - any particular reason to do the two tempo efforts at different paces?  How long of a recovery did you have in between?

Duck - nice race. I really struggle if I don't have any grip - my pace falls off really quickly.

Steady 6 today at 7min/mile and 169bpm.

I have been for a long time trying to incorporate team sky's principals of marginal gains into my training.  This has generally consisted of: core work, flexibility work, foam rolling, sports massage, ice baths sometimes, ice/heat rotation of sore muscles, protein recovery drinks when not trying to lose weight, slowly increasing the percentage of training done in racing flats.

I was wondering if there are any other tips/principals from any other sports than cycling that could be worth incorporating into running.  Would it be crazy to try and read up about how pros in other endurance sports train and see if there is anything that could work for running?

26/01/2013 at 12:04

Phew read back!

Sorry to hear about YP's calf, but good news you hope to recovered for next Sunday - we may be needing some pacing

Alehouse whoop to running 3k...just a bit to go to get back to pb pace then!

Some awesome sessions, especially Phil and Mr V.

Lovely long run from YD.

Hope you're feeling better CB.

Hope the thaw has started for Kelly and the rest of the Northern contingent.

Right yesterday for me was:
3M wu @ 8:47, strides
4 x 400m @ 5k pace off 90secs jog recovery: 6:32, 6:26, 6:27, 6:28
5M @ MP 7:38
90 secs
4 x 200m @ 3k pace off 90secs recovery: 5:51, 5:38, 5:36, 5:23
1m cd

The 3k sections were too fast but its pretty hard to judge that sort of pace on the road, very encourging though - was able to chat quite freely to Duck during the mp section and last time I ran this session it was 3M @ mp and it was quite tough so definite improvements happening.

5M today at 8:35 including Bushy parkrun.

21 miles to do tomorrow will take me to a big week and I look on course for over 250 miles this month. This is looking good for next Sunday, not decided it I am tapering yet will need to talk it through with Moraghan but am going to have a bash for something in the 41:45-42:30 range (depend on how all the miles have effected the speed I think).

Hope the tourists have had fun in Dublin!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.