The Middle Ground

22,741 to 22,760 of 26,957 messages
28/01/2013 at 14:05

I ran at the Chevin once, about 3 hours before I got married. It was a great run!

28/01/2013 at 14:16

CB - if the lightweight trainers dont work out, get yourself some of these -

http://www.runblogger.com/2013/01/reebok-atv-19-most-ridiculous-shoe-ever.html

28/01/2013 at 14:34

Curly - Phwoaarr!  I'll have the seven hour confit lamb please. 

Simon - Yesterday turned into a bit of a marathon *chortle* drinking and eating session.  In between various ales, IPAs and Belgian beers I managed a large plate of roast pork and all the bits, a seriously heavy chocolate cheesecake, a ham and cheese sandwich and an "animal burger" (everything on the menu in a very large bun... hold the pineapple!) from the Blackheath Tea Hut.  Head a wee bit fuzzy this morning.

Josh - The low fuel is partly for fat-burning adaptation but to be honest it's also practical, since my training partner likes to get the Sunday run done very early, and I don't fancy getting up at 5.00am for a bowl of porridge!

WJH - What TOM said.  I'll look out for you at Chichester. I've just had a race-prep #2 clip all over so I'll look a bit like my picture.

TOM - One of the things I like about progressing training is that unless you're a world record holder, there will always be someone who is quicker, to try and chase down. I know what you mean about actually training with faster runners; it's great to be able to line up with someone for a rep on a Tuesday evening and think "Ooh, he's off to run for England next Saturday" before they pootle off ahead! 

YD - For a first-timer your LRs are impressing me at the moment.  Interesting double; the last thing I want to do on a Sunday evening is go out for another run, although that's probably got more to do with my Sunday afternoon eating and drinking habits than anything else!

A nifty spin class at lunchtime and the legs feel surprisingly good. Better than my head anyway.

Edited: 28/01/2013 at 14:35
28/01/2013 at 14:38

I ran at the Chevin once too! Yesterday!

It was a complete slush bucket. I'll save my fingers by just pointing to here.

Curly - That must have been tough, going to work after a 21 miler. It shows that you have well and truly got your head in marathon mode though. Looking good.

YD - Talking of marathon mode, that is some day's training for someone who hadnt run a 20 miler at all until fairly recently. The double tagged on the end approach is straight out of the BR/Hilly training approach. How hard was it to get going on that second run?

28/01/2013 at 14:44

WJH, there's little point in comparing yourself to everyone else as we're all at different stages, doing different things and have been running for different periods. The top lot have probably been running longer than I've been alive (certainly the case for prf ) and I'm sure they haven't gotten to the point they have without a dud race or ten. 

Way back in 2011 I was hoping to get near to 38'30 for 10k and my training reflected that I was pretty close. I had two bites of the cherry towards the end of the year. I ran 40'59 and 41'07 (my pb was 40'27 from exactly a year previously). Less than a year later I ran in the Olympic stadium. The point being there's a natural ebb and flow to running, almost like the stock market in which you will have periods where you suddenly make a huge jump forwards, and times when you'll go backwards for a while, but overall the progression is upwards. 

YD, true that. I really despise flying even at the best of times.

Pretty superb long run and double day yesterday!

cb, Hattoris are pretty extreme in terms of naturalist shoes (as an anecdote Saucony deliberately don't use the term 'minimalist' anymore)  - have you tried anything prior to sticking them on? 

The Reeboks are hilarious. I saw a pair of those new Cloudsurfer shoes while in Sweatshop in London and they're so gimmicky it's beyond belief. 

Just never, ever get a pair of Brooks Addicitons. One of those shoes weighs half a kilo (1.1lbs). 

Sounds like a decent Sunday Phil  

Well after a week of general gorging I'm back on the healthy wagon as of this morning. 4.4M was a bit of a struggle! 

Don't have any races planned for February, the plan is just to get 4 weeks of solid training under the belt before the proper hard work starts in the lead up to the track season. I'd maybe like to get a parkrun in, and there is the third round of the 60m league, but I'm not going to go out of my way to run them. 

28/01/2013 at 15:08

The Hattoris didn't feel bad - just not too different (apart from less cushioning)!

The Reeboks look fun! The Cloudsurfers confuse me - they say they want a cushioned landing and a barefoot takeoff. But from my understanding it's the cushioned landing that causes the issues?!

28/01/2013 at 15:10

PRF you could have least copied and pasted

Sorry to hear Mr V isnt all fixed - were you down for Dewsbury?

YD not something I could face doing, but luckily for me working on a Sunday rules that out anyway (its on a 4 hour shift, but cycling there and back and on your feet for that time is quite enough thank you!).

Phil sounds lush nomming going on. We stopped in the drafthouse in Battersea on the way home and they seemed to have a beer adventure going on in there - might be worth a look. Food looked decent too.

I'm also doing all of my lsrs unfuelled now because I'm out the door for 6:30am!

TOM I totally get that too - its one of the best things for me about being right off the back of the fastest group at club and its amazing how quickly you start catching them up (okay just on shorter reps at the moment!). Obviously we dont have the really fast guys like Kent do, but its that challenging level that is perfect.

Looking foward to some thread action on Sunday at Chichester! I cant decide if its crop top weather yet

28/01/2013 at 16:45

Curly - I shouldn't seem as though I'm claiming to have been running with the really fast ones, like those PP mentions; they're another group altogether! I have an odd view of 'those ahead', I think, because I only came to running in my late 20s, was just pleased to be able to do it and have seen personally how improvement may come but still leave some goals way out of reach. But I spent bits of my youth accompanying statto dad to meetings, running results to him and so on, so I was finally, sort of, doing what I'd been watching. Having him around is good for perspective, though - he has an encyclopaedic memory of athletics performances, I suspect there are hundreds of names in there just for, say, 10k. Just the men under 30mins. None of that prevents him being encouraging (though only through slight scorn at my first ever 10k in 49mins), even occasionally impressed. It also made him an unusual parent to talk to. Took my ex, fresh from her 3:21 at London (yes, that was quicker than my marathon pb at the time, no I may never have lived it down) and rather than "so how did it go, what's a marathon like?" she got "well done on your marathon time, very respectable that, and a good improvement on the last" without me having mentioned anything about it.

So, the Perch on Sunday. I wasn't entirely on for this, realising I was only just recovered from the midweek voms, but borrowed some trail shoes (sorry housemate) and hit nonsuch park. Even warming up on the flat grass was heavy going, but it starts on tarmac so I could ease into it. I started reasonably and settled into what I learned from marshals was 12th place, ahead of a couple of runners I know to be quicker. Sadly one was nursing a knee injury and raced off in the second half, and the other was taking it very easy with a broken elbow, so I wasn't running especially well. It's not a hilly course, but very muddy and slippery, with a really gruelling muddy section towards the end of the lap. I ended up running most of it on my own, which was bad in the windy conditions, but sadly the group of 5-6 up ahead were just too far away, and I don't think realistically I could have got there, much as running behind them would have been substantially easier, and there was no one close behind for most of it. The triathlon clubs seem to target the race, and one of the East Grinstead lot got close enough to keep me honest at the end and I finished 14th; behind a few people I've beaten recently, but probably reasonable after this week. We even picked up the male team prize, thanks to new member "Mr parkrun show", though some of the triathletes were registered under their running clubs name and might otherwise have taken it. Certainly they'd have equalled our score from the one that I spotted who finished right behind me.

Decent run, and those with garmins had it at more like 11k than just over 10, which made me feel better about the time. I've now got a refurbished garmin and I've missed it, having broken the old one sliding over the line at the Saltwell 10k before Christmas, but I'd hate to see my splits from yesterday, reckon they'd epitomise "decreasing returns".

28/01/2013 at 18:23

Dont worry I know what you mean, I started at 26 and was fat so I am lso pleased to just be able to run, but also interested in how fast can I be. Your dad sounds a bit like PRF who has a brilliant stato memory. Was your dad a famous runner then (forgive my ignorance but I litterally knew nothing about the sport side when I took up "jogging" four years ago)?

Nonsuch is a bugger isnt it - not flat, but just mud. Surrey league was there a while back and its still my worse performance by miles in XC this year!

PRF nice report - did you get a trophy for winning in your long run? And you seem you have a good rivalry developing there.

28/01/2013 at 18:30
TOM - nice work, sounds like... fun! You should get your dad down The Richard one Sunday evening. He and Ken and Stuart could have a massive stat-off!

Right, I'm sitting here in my running shorts but looking outside at the wind and rain, and I've decided to play the CNBA card. I've already got a recovery session sweat-on today and I can always put it down to the Chichester taper strategy. And there's soup to make!
28/01/2013 at 18:30
Curly45 wrote (see)

Looking foward to some thread action on Sunday at Chichester! I cant decide if its crop top weather yet

Remind me who's in again? Is it me, you, PP, WJH, YP?

How's everyone's build up looking? Key session this week? 6x1k for me.

28/01/2013 at 19:17
Stevie - my Chichester build up has been derailed by injury recovery, and I haven't done anything quicker than marathon pace since beginning of January...

Key session this week will either be some mile reps, so something like 3 * 1mile @ 06:30/mile, or possibly a 3m tempo block on the back of a 6-7 mile run.

I've almost given up any hopes of a PB due to the last 3 weeks being derailed by my calf giving up on me, and I'm more than a little bit concerned that I'm going to have my work cut out on Sunday trying to keep ahead of Curly It also sounds like WJH will be around the same kind of pace...
28/01/2013 at 19:32

You never know YP, sometimes unexpected results come along when you don't expect them.

Hopefully it's not too windy, last 2 10ks had spells of strong wind. Should be enough runners to use as wind breaks at this one though

28/01/2013 at 20:24
SG - snap! We're doing another session with the quick guys which tomorrow is km reps, anything up to ten of them but I've already decided on six. Then I'll have my favourite pre-race Thursday session, 3 miles tempo-lite around HMP/threshold.

Soup is made and tastes fab. I've discovered Hungarian Mangalica salami (very much in the style of chorizo) which is adding a little spice to butternut squash, with the help of smoked paprika and the obligatory onion, garlic and ginger.
28/01/2013 at 20:26

2 sessions in the week before a target race? How the fast half live

28/01/2013 at 20:59

CB - why go all the way down to barefoot shoes?  Have you tried super-light racing flats like the Saucony Grid Types?

29/01/2013 at 08:58

It may have been a BRilly inspired run prf. Actually it wasn’t all that hard to get going and without forcing things the pace of the 2nd run was decent. I was sore yesterday, though I think some of those big climbs in the morning run might have more to do with that, oh and chasing junior round the Wacky Warehouse in the afternoon between runs may have contributed.

Curly – I wouldn’t fancy it if I had to cycle to work later, but I felt ok to do it, had the time so thought what the heck. Doffo crop top weather once you are in Tropical Feb

Sounds delish Phil, you should release a soup cook book aimed at runners.

I am treating myself to another day off today, well this is a cut back week and I feel ready for it

29/01/2013 at 09:10

Curly – Yep I’m down for Dewsbury. Haven’t ruled out being able to run it yet and if I do at least I’ll be well tapered!

YD – Nice bit of cross training at the wacky warehouse.

PRF – Enjoyed the write up of the Dublin trip

29/01/2013 at 09:59
Josh Blatchford wrote (see)

CB - why go all the way down to barefoot shoes?  Have you tried super-light racing flats like the Saucony Grid Types?

I'd read a lot about barefoot running and wanted to give it a try, and the Hattoris were fairly cheap! (Budget is an issue now - especially as Garmin died this morning!)

Josh Blatchford wrote (see)

Y D wrote (see)

It may have been a BRilly inspired run prf. Actually it wasn’t all that hard to get going and without forcing things the pace of the 2nd run was decent. I was sore yesterday, though I think some of those big climbs in the morning run might have more to do with that, oh and chasing junior round the Wacky Warehouse in the afternoon between runs may have contributed.

Last time I went to soft play I was glad I'd been a cave leader in the past as I wriggled through tiny gaps that little miss CB was diving through!

29/01/2013 at 11:14

Ooh, PP, you've caught me at a hungry point but even if I was full that sounds delicious! I did think of that XC, Curly; on the day I was watching, thinking ooh, what a good place for it, but now it just seems gruelling without the reward you get from cresting a big hill, or racing on a suddenly firmer surface at some of the other venues.

Dad wasn't a famous runner - in fact he ran a lot but avoided racing, perhaps because being around athletes all the time would have made his efforts seem pointless! First London marathon and that was it for him. He's not someone to get into a stat battle with, though Ken and others could probably win the local stuff and leave him with the international field. And the rest of us could gather at the bar...

Looking forward to hearing about Chichester, be good to have thread reps through the field.

A very ropey 15x400m for me today. It was a road route, so interrupted by roads etc., but just not up to pace at all. I hope it'll help in the longer term.

YD - I'm sure this cross-training with the youngster is cheating, you know.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.