The Middle Ground

23,801 to 23,820 of 26,872 messages
21/04/2013 at 11:29

Looks like it! 

TR, Keir and prf all within a few hundred meters of each other on the road. prf through in 88:01 so on course for a good clocking, Keir and TR just under a minute quicker.

21/04/2013 at 11:34

Yep be interesting to see if that gap closes.

21/04/2013 at 11:39

Minni 1:37.11 at half way, on course for a sub 3:15.

21/04/2013 at 12:11

Looks like RJ & Phil have dropped off the pace a bit, still on course for under 2:30/2:35 respectively.

Edited: 21/04/2013 at 12:12
21/04/2013 at 12:31

RJ finishes in 2:29:31. pb by 2 seconds according to PO10!

21/04/2013 at 12:39

8 minute PB for Phil in 2:35:54. Top stuff.

81st overall, and 8th veteran...stunning effort!

21/04/2013 at 13:12

saw the big man Phil finish. cracking performance.

21/04/2013 at 13:14

Looks like prf backed off after 30k. 3:11 finish.

21/04/2013 at 13:32
Yep top performance from Phil. Be interested to hear from prf, see what he makes of his drop off.
Phil aside there doesn't seem to be many stellar performances today from those I am tracking. Conditions tougher than they looked?
21/04/2013 at 17:13

Edited: 21/04/2013 at 17:14
21/04/2013 at 18:33

Phil ... stunning run!!!!

21/04/2013 at 18:45

Great run, Phil! And am I right, surely your club were on the podium, with you scoring? Hope the headache is not too bad in the morning!!

I, also, will be interested to hear PRF's story. I noticed a couple of his clubmates seem to have had a pleasant long run in the capital!

Enjoyed your post earlier, BBB: looks like a dot ball!

21/04/2013 at 19:41

Thanks, Bob, YD, Duck, Phil, Curly.

Bob, I thought you predicted 17:17. I'm too lazy to check so you can have a beer.

YD, long runs wouldn't help - I've actually got really good endurance at the moment and am probably in pretty good 10 mile shape. I am expecting quite big gains over the next 4-5 weeks though since I am periodising quite heavily and have only just started my VO2 max phase. I'm really chuffed to run that time of non-specific training.

Glad to hear the leg is holding up.

I had a great day spectating today. I saw Phil go through just after mile 25. He looked absolutely shattered but was really getting stuck in - excellent work and an excellent result, Phil. I can't fathom running that pace for so long.

Big_Bad_Bob wrote (see)

Can't argue with that

21/04/2013 at 21:23

Forgot to mention Minni earlier, hadn’t realised her performance was such a big one, quite a chunk off her PB I believe.

More to come then Simon, disagree on the long runs though, still think they help a fair bit with 5k.

10k in 47:29 for me tonight, felt good, best run so far since injury. A bit of adductor grumbling, but nothing that isn’t manageable.

22/04/2013 at 08:44

Morning all! Too hungover to sleep. Legs absolutely mangled.  It's worth it though. 

Scores on the doors you all know but just to confirm, thanks to some support from a couple of rather nippy club mates (2 x 2:17!!! ) Kent AC WON the team competition with me as third scorer. I'm a national champion.  

Really can't complain about the conditions. It felt warmer than I was expecting but not enough to slow me down, and the occasional slight breeze actually felt quite nice.  3 x Kent AC and  Dulwich guy we train with - Buzz! - set out together and set a nice pace for the usual comfortable first few miles.  The first 5k in 17:46 looks a bit too quick but it really is quite fast going downhill into Woolwich and it was nice to get half a minute in the bag whilst feeling genuinely comfortable. I was running behind or alongside Buzz up to the Docklands but sensed my club mates may have been dropping off.

Halfway 1:16:22 = textbook, but just beginning to feel like I'd run a few miles. Coming into the Docklands at 15 miles I could feel my quads beginning to tighten.  Uh-oh!  Still 11 to go! The metronomic 5:4x/5:5x splits started dropping to 6:0x, not that I was really struggling but just trying to adjust effort accordingly. (Still with Buzz!) Got to 20 miles and reminded myself that it's a game of two halves - 20 miles followed by a very hard 10k race! Really did feel like I was beginning to tie up at this point, but HR was still steady so I knew I had another gear or two, it would just hurt using them...

At some point I heard a "hello" and one of my club mates had come back to us. I think this was roughly when we started dropping Buzz.  22 miles, club mate seemed to look comfy, and I was getting a stitch.  Oof!  Breathing all over the place, think I hit my slowest split (6:16, not bad!) but then we got a fantastic liftcoming out of the underpass at Blackfriars, 23 miles - coach Ken (loudest voice in running... FACT!) shouting from the side "Kent AC - first team!" So there's a race on to be third scorer! So followed the longest gurn in history, through mile splits of 6:01, 6:01 and 6:06 and a final spurt of 5:33/m to gain a 20 second gap over my club mate.  So, so happy when I crossed the line, at whivch point my legs STOPPED WORKING.  Never has a 2 inch curb caused so much grief!

The rest of the day went according to plan: beer, curry, fall asleep on train, walk home from Charlton with a large doner kebab.

22/04/2013 at 08:45

I'll hand it to prf, I reckon he gave it full beans yesterday. If we run out of salt for the roads next winter, we can just mine it off his face!

22/04/2013 at 09:11

"kerb", even.  

And well done Minni.  Get in!  Looking forward to some more reports...

22/04/2013 at 09:13

Brilliant report Phil - I bumped into RJ in Chandos who was still out celebrating at 5:30pm with Moraghan (pissed as a newt as usual!) and he said your time - wowsers. Club win is just icing

I haven't seen Minni's result, but kudos also to Mon who didn't run a pb but was incredibly positive about the whole thing and not minding the pity party from others too much, a whole better dealing with it than I would have been.

Be interesting to see what happened to PRF as I was working so I missed all the results and then cycled 15 miles to get into town to see if anyone was still around  Feck me London buses are lethal to cyclists!

22/04/2013 at 13:24

Curly - must have just missed you in Chandos.  Here is a link to my report on the 3:30 marathon thread.   I won't clog up this thread with.it!  But very pleased to run 3:15:48, which was a 5 minute pb.  

WJH
22/04/2013 at 13:25

Hi everyone. Looks like I missed out on quite a bit over the weekend – was at the gfs house but her internet has been down!

Phil – huge contratulations on a brilliant time and how rewarding must that be after months of hard work! To get such a huge PB must be so satisfying but it’s no surprise! And awesome on getting into the 1st team prize! Funny how a kerb can be so troublesome at the end of a race like that! For me last week it was functionless traffic cones in the way!

Will be interesting to read PRF’s blog/posts to see what happened in the 2nd half from what’s been posted on here so far. Good effort nonetheless and unlucky with the sub 3…this time!

Well done to Minni too!

The 5000 time looks promising for the next few months Simon – get that weight off as you say and you never know what may happen!  Will be good to hear what sort of specific speedwork sessions you have planned.  

Great running there Curly! Two very consistent times (would love to try a track race one time myself)! As for pacing at the Gosport half…I will more than likely be marshalling again with that for a 5th year (all our club runners marshal this). On one particular point, I have checked out website and can confirm it’s not a walking race!  Good choice for an A race target though!

Good to hear of more progress YD – looks like the fitness is starting to come back! Interesting what you say re: long runs too. I would like to keep up at least one long run a week myself (10 miles) for the coming few months despite shorter race distances.

Found an interesting read in The Times on Saturday…worth a read and quite interesting to see on what  Matthew Parris as an MP thinks his greatest life achievement is! I think it’s a subscriber article unless bought on Saturday…

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/matthewparris/article3744388.ece

Seeing a marathon PB as being his greatest ever achievement (2:32 I think it was) says a lot about both running and being an MP!

Ended up taking it easy up until Thursday where I felt ok (no gym session in the end last Wednesday!). Managed an overall Parkrun PB on Saturday which I didn’t expect post Brighton in 18:58 at Netley Abbey. However, this was around their flatter route which was 90% around a field (10% on a pathway) but a mindboggling 5 and a half laps! Anyway, it’s all about the LONDON MARATHON today! Well done again to everyone yesterday!

WJH
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.