The Middle Ground

24,221 to 24,240 of 27,082 messages
WJH
07/06/2013 at 13:46

Good to see some progress this week Dan! And wow that last 300 metres in particular must have hurt - well done to Dan junior though for persevering!

Will try and look at your video when I can Duck - can't at work and have dodgy net connection at home!

There will be better day's CB! Doesn't sound like the ideal condition to be in before a race!

Good luck with the Humber 10k Mr V! Like you, I am not a huge fan of racing in warmer conditions!

Good luck with the debut Parkrun DT!

Enjoy the 7 miler Bob and the atmosphere that comes with it! Can't imagine you holding back once the race starts!

Recced my leg of the South Downs relay on Wednesday...running out and back (10 miles in total) and 7 steady at the club last night. Highlight (!!!) of the recce run was running past a naked rambler...close to a village called Cocking!  Probably run an easy 3 later and it's the relay tomorrow. My leg is hilly to start but has a very fast downhill finish for a mile or so! Don't consider myself to be any good running downhill though so should be interesting! My brother is running in the Castles Relay in Wales this weekend....that is definitely a relay i'd love to take part in one day!

Edited: 07/06/2013 at 13:50
WJH
07/06/2013 at 15:08

Naked rambler near Cocking!

Take care of the foot MrV ... you're on a good roll. The Humber Bridge races always appeal to me ... one day I must enter.

Good luck with the 7 miler Bob.

And to anyone else racing!

The boy is doing his first sprint distance tri (pool-based) on Sunday (adult race - but open to "Youths"), so that's the closest I'll get to racing. Hope to get in a 7-9 mile slow run though.

07/06/2013 at 18:41
The Duckinator wrote (see)

For those who don't recognise me, I'm in the centre at the start, wearing the red Fetch vest and long white socks. 

Almost forgot to watch this until now!

Nice race.

Did you pay the guy in blue to start as if he was doing a 400?

07/06/2013 at 20:45

Nice vid Duck, liked the commentary! 

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and to Dr Dan's son.

Did my first 5 mile race this week on a very undulating course ouch! The race was murder, actually felt dizzy by the end of it but I really liked the distance. A flat 5mile race would be ideal. My time was 31.32, I was happy with that as I felt I couldn't have gone any faster.

07/06/2013 at 20:55

Duck- Just watched this, good race. Did you know that the guy in blue would never maintain that pace for the full mile? You didn't seem to be bothered by the gap he opened.

Bob- Thing with decent running shoes is that they are not cheap and therefore its difficult to be too experimental.

Wjh- My club enter the welsh castles every year, I have always had something on to clash with it though.

Good luck Bob, Mr v and Dan sunday.

CB- just take what you can from that 5k and have another go on Saturday in parkrun.

I did a tempo on treadmill last night. 10 min warm up then planned 20 min at 6.26 pace. 12 mins in I was feel too comfortable so upped pace to 6.16 for last 8 which in my view pushed me to discomfort. Parkrun debut tomorrow. Not sure how to tackle it not having much 5k experience. Do I go out fast for first mile then hang on or stick to even pace?!! Off to Manchester then in the afternoon as got a taster session at the velodrome. Start to get a bit edgy about riding a bike with no brakes on a wooden banking now!

07/06/2013 at 21:11

DT19 for your first parkrun try sticking to an even pace and picking it up towards the end if you can. I don't do them often but so many people go off too fast and slow down badly. 

07/06/2013 at 21:47

I will try but I fear I may go too slow then. Theres a guy from my club who does it who I am quicker than in training and all other races and he did about 19.12 last week. I would be relatively happy with that so may just run with him for a bit and see how I cope. He does however go off fast though.

07/06/2013 at 21:49

Stevie G . wrote (see)
Did you pay the guy in blue to start as if he was doing a 400?

He resembles my lad!

It is impressive just how calm Duck was ... this is a good lesson to the "mad headed".

Edited: 07/06/2013 at 21:50
08/06/2013 at 09:55

quick parkrun update. First time go, great set up and concept etc. My watch had me at 19.33 and came 5th which I was a bit disappointed by. Really wanted circa 19.20. I definitely have unfinished business there. I blew up badly as race went on. Started at 6.12, then 6.25 then 6.33. I am currently mid cold (not that I want to make excuses) so will return in 2 weeks to see if that made any difference. I am definitely starting to think I have more of a slant towards longer distances!

08/06/2013 at 09:57

DT ... 5th aint bad for a debut!  

08/06/2013 at 10:13

I know, but that's all dependent on who turns up, I think another day I would have been 15th, but thanks anyway. Looked at the time on McMillan and it is kind of consistent with my sb for 10k. I am going back 2 weeks today to try again!

08/06/2013 at 11:22

DT19 well done! It's hard not to get carried away and start too fast, cos there's alway the fear that you've started too slow. I look obsessively at my watch when I start a race to ensure I'm not at a pace I can't sustain, wish I could run like my OH he never uses a watch and can judge his pace really well just on feel.

08/06/2013 at 13:56

Thanks for the pacing comments. I did know prior he always goes off very quick,and regardless of how fit he is 4.30 mile pace was never going to be maintained. I just tried to stick to my pre race plan as much as possible and draw him in. That and from the start he appeared to be pushing the pace really quite hard (really quick cadence and really pumping the arms). 

He did try to give me advice on how to pace a mile later on!

dt, nothing like that, the Scottish fetch mile record is 5'01 which was my aim. I imagine the official u23 record is something well under 4'20!

wjh, good news on your mile time being added!

Cb, conditions sounded really tough, a sensible decision to not push it after a hard week.

Dan, good time by your son, pacing is very tricky to get right and comes with experience. I used to split 800s in something like 60/74 which is rediculous. 

Dt, 5th and in line with your 10k? Nice going!

08/06/2013 at 14:06

So my mile. Down Aberdeen's highstreet - warming up was a really surreal experience, with no cars around and running down the middle of the street to warm up was very strange! Felt really, really good warming up - fresh, light and muscles felt realloss rose as well. There were plenty of quick guys, a fair few 35.xx 10k runners I had my eye on to beat.

Gun went and I started well, the first 500-600m uphill slightly. Was about 8th after the first 200m as the race settled down. Was feeling good so got right up behind Neil Jaffrey and Ian Urquhart who both are excellent road runners (sub 10 3k, 76.xx HM). At the hairpin turn I was still feeling great and with just over 1k to go I felt someone good was on.

I could hear Neil's breathing was pretty hard already, so upped my pace and left him behind. Ian seemed to be slowing too so went past both the guys I was targeting before half a mile had gone by. I was now up to 5th with 4th about 20m ahead.

I really set my sights on 4th and drew him in gradually. At ~1k I was still feeling great. Passed 5th place soon after and now with a slight uphill to go I knew I had a good sprint left.

08/06/2013 at 14:09
The Duckinator wrote (see)

He did try to give me advice on how to pace a mile later on!

How on earth did he think he could give you advice, having a) died a horrendous death himself, and b) lost to you.

08/06/2013 at 14:11

5th then came back at me like a steam train, which spurred me into an all-out sprint for the line. Cs was about 150m from the finish shouting at me to get a move on which really helped me to keep going. Couldn't match his speed but gave it my all over the final section, to finish 5th in 4.54 

Really good race, felt so on form and so strong. Really happy with how I ran, beat some really good runners and wasn't far behind 16.xx 5k runners either. Smashed the 5 minute barrier comprehensively. What's to be disappointed with?

Edited: 08/06/2013 at 14:22
08/06/2013 at 20:19

Duck

DT your Parkrun sounds fine to me, especially considering you did a tough 20 minute tempo at 10k pace the day before!

Velloo well done on the debut 5 miler. Now you just have to find a flat one to smash your new pb at.

Parkrun this morning. Ran it at LT pace for a comfortable 22:48. Spent the rest of the day in the sunshine whilst not preparing to take 31 14 year old girls to the Lake District tomorrow

Enjoy the sunshine everyone.

09/06/2013 at 18:35

Duck: it doesnt seem that long ago that Graham Williamson ran 3:55 for a mole...Scottish. ..and 19! He was then left out of the Olympics in favour of S. Coe, if I recall correctly

CB: I aim to be at Dunham next week. Hope you survive the Lakes! 

09/06/2013 at 21:06

Duck- I thought you seemed a little low key about it if it was an actual Scottish record. Whats your mile pb?

How did everyone else get on with various 10k's etc this weekend? bit hot for racing. I have decided to definitely use the sick card for Saturday. I have been absolutely streaming with cold since about 4pm Saturday so that must have been affecting my run 7 hours earlier!!

10/06/2013 at 10:10

DT19 ... soudns like it could be manflu ... be very very careful!!!

Duck ... well done on the sub-5. Great run. I suspected from how easy the fetch mile looked that there was plenty more in the tank.

9 hilly miles at 68% maxHR for me yesterday ... then taxi/coach/manager duties for the boy's first sprint traithlon (113th out of 223, 8th "male youth"). Not too bad given he's inherited my swimming and cycling skills .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.