The Middle Ground

26,381 to 26,382 of 26,382 messages
Yesterday at 21:06

Evening guys 

DT - yep, no such concept as a bank holiday for us  3 in 1 week? That's something to aim for!

Mr V - looks good. Sounds like you are going in the right direction!

Dan, nice parkrun - nothing like a good long run to prepare you eh? 

TR, honestly am tempted but even with a sub-75 I think marathons are a bit too early yet.

Salford sounds like another well run 10k, splits very consistent. Even better with that mileage in the legs - sounds like you have your priorities right, post-marathon you could have a crack at a good 10k I reckon.

prf, I noticed a rather fetching pair of shorts on you  

Training-wise for me, did my longest run in a long time on Sunday - 15.5M! Was not on the plan but we took a small detour  improved the pace until the last 5M was done at sub-40 10k pace. Really feeling these harder long runs are helping with stamina (don't want to do them all the time though with track season around the corner). Then did 10.5M yesterday as I won't get chance to long run this weekend (am basically leading the retail side of Run Balmoral which is a major event up here).

3000m race this evening on the track. Usually I like to ease into these but after the 1500m a few weeks ago where I got gapped and couldn't make it up, I decided to go out harder than normal to see if I could slot in behind the quick guys and get dragged along.

It worked a treat - 9:31.4 with splits of 74.3, 75.4, 76.1, 77.9, 78.2, 79.1, 36.3 (K splits 3:09.5, 3:08.3, 3:13.6) - so not exactly ideal pacing but I was running off the a pack of 5 in front of me (36s first 200m) and wasn't looking at my watch at all. Only got dropped with about 800m to go and was able to hang onto 4th until 200m to go. Honestly did not feel too bad (partly having someone to run with I reckon!) and think based on this 16:4x is doable soon. 

Edited: 24/04/2014 at 21:35
Yesterday at 22:44

Dr Dan - nice one on the parkrun the other day, not sure I commented at the time. Hope the legs come round so you can start PB chasing soon.

Great speed Duck, I would think sub 17 is a given next time out in reasonable conditions, probably in poor conditions as well. 
I think getting into a group was a good call tonight. From my (limited) experience closing a gap at shorter races is bloody hard work.
Nice one on the Run Balmoral gig btw. Are you still working in the shop?

Reasonable training run for me tonight. 7 miles out and 7 miles back at MP. Splits on the way back were: 6:23, 6:19, 6.26, 6.23, 6.23, 6.24 and 6:27.
Happy with that, more up than down on the way back, traffic junctions to negotiate, general tiredness in the legs and a visit from the gingerbread man in the last 2.5 miles  
Again, ran it to effort tonight, breathing felt good and I reckon that running to that pace will feel very comfortable come race day on fresh legs.
Average pace of 6:23/mi, today, so I reckon that setting off at 6:30 - 6:35/mi at Edinburgh might be a good idea with a view to working down to sub 6:30 pace.

Edited: 24/04/2014 at 22:51

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
26,381 to 26,382 of 26,382 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.