The Middle Ground

27,721 to 27,740 of 28,077 messages
10/02/2016 at 16:26

WP - Ah, but do you have a desk job? I have had frequent back issues since I was a teenager, but it has generally been much better over the past 10-15 years with only the odd flare up. The last time it got bad enough to require physio was about 18 months ago. generally it is fine, and the worst thing for it is inactivity (desk job really doesn't help) rather than exercise.

Training pbs show plenty of promise for the race day - just make sure you don't peak too early and leave all your form in the training rather than the race!

Dan - sounds like a tasty interval session! I have one tonight which is a combo of 200m and 400m intervals at short interval pace of about 6.10m/m - 2 miles of quality within a 6 mile run.

10/02/2016 at 20:22
Andrew, that doesn't have the same ring to it. I'll go with solicitors lumbar.

I have regular maintenance physio on my bike but it still flares up now and again. Last time being August.

Managed 4 miles easy over lunch then spin tonight. Not sure what next two days hold and not too bothered. Foot is a bit sore still but that might be from over treating.

Off to York Saturday first thing, childfree. Never been before. Heard its very nice.
10/02/2016 at 20:47

I lived in York for 2 years while I was at College of Law. Lovely city, really enjoyed living there. Really decent night out too, lots of good pubs and restaurants. Am going there myself in a few weeks with my wife and little one, as I've not been back for 10 years so fancied revisiting the place  Working out if I can squeeze in a parkrun round the racecourse while I'm there!

10/02/2016 at 21:57

York ... the posh bit of Leeds.

10/02/2016 at 22:40
I've heard so much about how wonderful Yorkshire is but based on my visits to Leeds and Bradford, I've not bought in just yet. Hoping York will settle that up.
11/02/2016 at 10:18

Yep, Leeds and Bradford are not the most eye-catching parts of Yorkshire, that's for sure! We're off to Oxford for the weekend to see if the South is all it's cracked up to be!  ..... consequently, I'll have to try to get my "9 miles @ HMP+20" done on Monday.

Just cycle commuting for me today. Tempo sesh booked in for tomorrow.

11/02/2016 at 12:01

Last night's intervals didn't happen as I got caught in a late phone call with a client and then ran out of time to do the run. So have shifted it to tonight. Which in turn means tonight's easy run will be shifted to tomorrow which means I lose my rest day before the parkrun. Oh well, I doubt it will affect things too much.

What will affect it more is the fact that the forecast is now for rain Saturday morning, so I may need to man-up and get on with it (and expect a slightly slower time as a result).

Dan - the south is brilliant  especially if you are visiting a posh part of it (Oxford). Try Clacton next time, for a bit of a contrast!

11/02/2016 at 12:24

Where are these places you talk about I am sure it is only Wales that is pretty

Andrew: Yes I sat at a desk for over 15 years(Book keeper) but retired early to look after my hubby....these days I get to sit at my desk at home for a few hours.But my back goes for the silliest of reason's bending in garden to smell a rose!!My physio has all my injuries back to lazy muscles from sittting at a desk for years and years.

DT: Did you mean back and not bike for physio

Dan: Can I borrow strong son for heavy garden digging please.

No run today I was up and out but the ice was too bad and too dangerous so rest day and back at it tomorrow...first time ice has stopped me this winter I blame Andrew because I am sure he mentioned no ice yet this winter

11/02/2016 at 13:14

I lived in London for 3 years ... bloody miserable place. Wales is indeed very nice ... unless you're camping.

11/02/2016 at 20:08

Successful intervals session tonight, hit the correct paces and felt fresh throughout.

WP - yes, sorry for jinxing it! I thought the same thing myself this morning when I saw ice on my car!

11/02/2016 at 20:42
Yes, I don't tend to read back before I post and my smart phone takes its title too literally!

7.8 for me on a nice hilly route. Got my head torch on and hit the country lanes which was quite pleasant. Just 8mm pace for a pretty low hr. Will probably rest tomorrow and then away all weekend. Should leave me raring to go for the next three week block. Marathon is 10 weeks Sunday and I have 8 weeks of schedule left. Means I can do 2 x 3 week blocks, have an a la carte week after each micro block then just do the two weeks taper. That sounds fairly manageable.
12/02/2016 at 09:45

Sounds like a perfect run-in to the marathon DT. Have a good weekend in York!

3 very slow and easy miles this morning as a recovery run, to try and loosen up the legs after last night's session and before parkrun tomorrow. About as short a run as I would ever want to do now to be honest.

Am going to a friend's birthday party tonight, but will be driving and won't be staying late, so hopefully it shouldn't impact on tomorrow morning!

12/02/2016 at 14:25

Good plan DT .. "a la carte training", your next book.

Well done on the intervals and recovery Andrew.

I did 5.7 with 3@ST (7:22/m target pace). It seemed a bit easy, so I pushed on after mile 1... mind you I was complete flaked by the end and couldn't have run another 100 m at that pace.

1, 7:19, 141 bpm
2, 6:57, 145 bpm
3, 7:01, 151 bpm

Off to Oxford now ... next run will be Monday.

12/02/2016 at 15:05

Andrew: Good luck with parkrun tomorrow and hope you are good at Birthday party 

DT: Good training and enjoy your weekend 10 weeks will fly by which one are you running?

Dan: Great session and so fast you always know when you worked hard if you could not run another step at that pace

Enjoy Oxford and a rest from running

I ran my long run longest since December 11th 12.44 miles it was slow as I was tired and did not want to get out of bed but glad to get it under my belt

around 42 day's for my half marathon I am going to run one on 13th March 2 weeks before Cardiff ,it is near to me so seems ideal to run with folk.

13/02/2016 at 10:53

Parkrun came in at 22:02 on the watch (but also 3.13 miles on the watch). Not quite what I'd hoped but a slightly long course and a headwind in the back straight which you run twice on this course scuppered my hopes of getting around 21:40. Felt pretty strong though, and last year I wasn't running this sort of time until June, so I'm a few months ahead if I look at it that way. Aim is to be back at pb territory by early summer and then hope to make further progress towards my year end goals through the summer and autumn.

EDIT: official time was 22:03 

Edited: 13/02/2016 at 11:23
13/02/2016 at 12:13

Today was not a PB day, AD! Rarely in winter! I am just running around parkruns at present: see no point in pushing too hard when it is cold, or windy, or wet, or muddy etc. Gentle 23:45 for me today, which I am entirely happy with given that it was part of an hour's run, was cold, I'd just got out of bed. Progressive run, with no-one passing me and passing plenty. Enough for first in my age group and 26th overall in a reduced field: area cross country this afternoon had an impact. 

So, head up, AD: you are ahead of where you were last year and am sure you will be running much quicker on that nice warm, windless, dry day in June.

13/02/2016 at 18:49

Thanks Alehouse - I'm not too disappointed with the time, although I would have liked to go sub 22! 

Not able to race so frequently at the moment, so next outing won't be until middle of March for a 5 mile race.

15/02/2016 at 10:03

WP - well done on the early long run!

Andew & Alehouse ... nice parkrunning - it's certainly not the season for fast times.

I had a fat weekend in Oxford catching up with my daughter's 21st birthday which was earlier this month... so my carb stores definitely topped up. Back to work today and I survived the ice on the bike this morning ... will be out for a 9 miler later (hopefully at about 8/m).

Edited: 15/02/2016 at 10:08
15/02/2016 at 10:45

Dan - how come your tempo paces seem to match up with mine, yet your long running paces are much quicker (8m/m as against about 8.45-9m/m)?

DT - did you enjoy York?

I did 8.5 miles yesterday at 8.54m/m average. Legs felt a bit battered in the last mile or two, probably a hangover from the 5k the day before. Probably a good training effort though to run long on tired legs. 28 miles last week (a touch down on the 30 planned, due to having to juggle runs around last week and thus losing a couple of miles), 31 planned this week. Aim is to edge to 35 over the next month and then hold that for a few weeks before tapering for 10 mile race in mid-May.

15/02/2016 at 11:45

Andrew ... it's because I'm doing FIRST. There are virtually no easy-paced runs, even long runs are around MP. So, only 3 runs per week ... but all of them tough (intervals, tempo, MP). The cross-training makes up the "mileage" shortfall and replaces the usual recovery/easy/junk miles.

Well done on the 8.5 miles on race legs.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.