The Middle Ground

261 to 280 of 27,001 messages
07/05/2010 at 12:20

I'm just on 1m 82 and weight 76kg (sorry, I'm the new age, I use metric). I generally don't tend to fluctuate much (only by 2 odd kg or so) regardless of what I eat.

Moraghan wrote (see)

But, like stretching regularly and getting sufficient sleep, easier said than done.

(I've been up most of the night watching the election)

07/05/2010 at 13:39

Mmm... not sure about a three week taper is too bad an idea actually for a marathon, although I might have agreed prior to Lochaber. I ended up running my longest run of 22.5 miles 6 weeks out with a 20 the week after but, because of life/fatigue I only ran 5 days a week from then until M day. Legs have never felt stronger in a marathon even after 20 miles. The intensity remained up until the race, maybe I even benefited from being able to really nail those faster sessions but I needed the volume reduction I feel.

I have messed with my pre-race rest day but a little trot the day before works best for me.

Never ever had an issue with weight at just a touch over 7.5 stone and 5 ft 0 but, rather annoyingly since Lochaber this has crept up by 3/4 llbs. That's never happened before!! Not likely to cut out the wine so it will have to be the chocolate!

07/05/2010 at 15:58

I've never tried to taper weight in the run up to a race, but have tried to taper weight through a training period.  At 174cm and 78kg you'd think I still have a lot to shift, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to shift, and there's not a thick layer of fat anywhere.  I blame it on too many years spend idly lifting weights with no purpose.  However, when it comes to whether the weight makes a difference, I've interspersed periods of running with periods of weights, and whilst my weight from my first racing period has increased by over 6kg, my times have gone down.  I put this down to better training in spite of the weight gain.  If I could lose the kilos and gain minutes, I would, but I get the feeling this would take more effort than it might be worth.

Been ill all week this week, HM coming up on Sunday.  So the taper has been nearly all rest.  If I'm well enough to run I'll see what kind of impact that has.  Not a chosen taper, I'll admit, but could be interesting...

08/05/2010 at 11:07

If running in the evening do people eat a main meal before they run or after?  I have a thing that I don't like to eat after 8.30pm, but BR, quite rightly, says that you should eat within the 2 hour window after the run to refuel no matter what the time. 

08/05/2010 at 11:47

After for me. I really only run later on a club night, I don't get home until around 8.30. I don't run well if I have something big to eat before. I usually have a medium sized lunch and just snack later in the afternoon. Usually OH has something cooking to finish within about 10 mins of me getting home, but sometimes it can be around 9pm. Since it's not an every day thing, I just put up with it.

It's particularly important if I'm running the next day, as I tend to run around 1pm, so that's not much time to recover.

08/05/2010 at 12:28

Yeah, have to agree that eating after an evening run is a must, regardless of the time. But then again, I dont usually sleep until about midnight so eating up to, say, 10:30 is usually fine.

A nice couple of parkrun wins this morning for Curly and myself at Hull, its a lovely course and you couldnt get friendlier organisers. The most pleasing aspect was that we've both had quite heavy training weeks this week in terms of quality work and yet Curly managed a parkrun pb by 3 secs and I equalled mine so it points to some good time improvement when tapered.

08/05/2010 at 17:21

Nice one, PRF. It's always especially nice after a heavy week, like you say.

Opposite to me this morning. Really wanted to race it today and tried for half a mile, but the wind is horrendous up here and the course is very exposed. Gave up and came in 79 seconds over! 2nd lady, but a cheeky 1st in my age group.

08/05/2010 at 17:36

The only annoying thing is my result is currently missing

Have emailed to get them to add it - defintely scanned my barcode so no idea what happened there but PRF is now beating me on the table of most events!!! Not bothered about the first place, but want my pb...

We were in Hull so pretty windy there too Kaysdee - I think we'll do Newcastle next week actually if you are running it?

Edited: 08/05/2010 at 17:37
08/05/2010 at 17:46

Here's one to cross off your list of race warm-ups.

-  Oversleep on your afternoon nap.

-  Arrive in car 2 minutes before race starts.

-  Run one stride in flats (no time to don spikes)

-  Suck in race.

08/05/2010 at 17:50

Awww Moraghan was just reading that on the wrong date thread

You'll be pleased (?) to know that I bought some spikes today to run my intervals in...

However, next week I am having an ease back week since it will be 6 weeks since I started intervals and the speed is already coming through so I dont want to risk injury but can restart after next week for another block

08/05/2010 at 18:09

Would be great to see you there! I'm down for 5 miles on Saturday so was going to do parkrun at a leisurely pace as racing a half next Sunday.

It is a nice course, few gates and sharps turns here and there, but it's got great potential for a pb. There are a couple of bits where you get the sense you are going up ever so slightly, but I'd consider it flat really. Field of 66 I think today so not as big as some of them - although male course record is just a few seconds over 15min!

Moraghan, oh dear me. Naps are no good for you, I tell you. I hope it wasn't too bad.

I had a nap yesterday after not going to bed until after 5 for the election results and up just after 7. I set my mobile alarm, but it either didn't go off or I didn't hear it and I woke up at 3.09 - supposed to pick my son up half a mile away at 3.05 (but have up to 3.15) and daughter up at 3.10. I got her first as that's closer, then we legged it and got to him just before 3.20. Oops. I felt terrible!

How stupid am I? How many times have I seen that thread on the list and never realised it has the wrong date.

Edited: 08/05/2010 at 18:12
08/05/2010 at 18:37

What time did you run Curly?

Well done PRF!

08/05/2010 at 18:43
Hi Sue - slowest winning time at Hull to date - 22:18 (give or take a second)...2 second pb (but on the back of a big speedwork week ). I assume they will update later in the week but currently I am unknown at position 7...
08/05/2010 at 19:13

Well done Curly and PFR on your wins.  I did consider Hull Curly, but we're there tomorrow as BR doing the Beverley 10km.  I will do it at some point though as it does sound like a nice one to do - without the wind though, which never seems to die down in Hull.

Well done Kaysdee too, what time did you do?

Moraghan - that sounds a stressful start to a race!

Curly - I have spikes but I never run my intervals in them, I tend to wear my flats, but might do a few sessions in spikes before I use them in races as they do take a few wears before the legs stop being sore.

I did my longer run today 15 miles on the treadmill.  Now some might think I'm mad and why did I not go outside.  The reason being I did not wake up until 10am!! And there's a folk festival in town so the route I would normally do would have been a pain and to run anywhere flat it would be a drive and I only had limited time, oh and i did not want to do more hills having done a sesson on them last night, so flat, easy surface, staring at the wall treadmill it was.

08/05/2010 at 19:21

22.22. It's my first real test of speed since Blackpool so it was a bit of a shock to the system! (have only run up to HMP since)

I used to have to run on a TM when my kids were younger (and napped!). I find it so much harder, but needs must sometimes. 10am? Luxury

08/05/2010 at 20:09
Today proved to me to be a stark reminder of why I tend to restrain myself drinking. After a hard night last night I found myself to be horrendously slow today.
08/05/2010 at 20:13
Thanks for reminding me what I'm going to feel like in the morning, TD!
09/05/2010 at 14:36
Urgh. I had an awful long run today. 20 sec/mile slower than I normally am and I didn't do anything differently either the morning or the day before I ran. I didn't feel hungry, tired or ill. I was just plain slow
09/05/2010 at 15:08

Sorry! I hate when I have days like that. Anything different in the route? Weather? The wind has been a right pain this weekend.

Sometimes we need a bad run to feel better about the good ones. You still did it, that's what counts.

09/05/2010 at 15:47

Well, it was quite hot, which would certainly make a difference, but I made sure I was hydrated before and during the run.

I'm sure it was just a bad day, but I still hate having them. 

261 to 280 of 27,001 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.