The Middle Ground

28,201 to 28,220 of 28,357 messages
13/07/2016 at 23:31

Prf,  well done on the continued mass racing. I really cannot understand how you do it so consistently. Well done to HO on her call up. Great to be on the radar like that. 

WP, glad things are beginning to look up finally.

A slightly surprising outing tonight. Following Saturday's 40.57 I was hopeful of sneaking sub 40. However all my training stats (no idea why/how as I've been a bit all over place since London) suggested I was at pb level. Turns out they were right, posting 39.04 on my watch for a 22 second pb (though official time might lose me a second or two). What was most surprising was how I felt. Until a really hilly 5th mile it felt controlled, almost like I was on a tempo run. cut through the field in the second half as well and took and well beat some clubmates that have been ahead of me for some time. 

I have a friend of mine who paced me to my 5k pb (19.04) coming to parkrun Saturday to try and drag me to sub 19. 

14/07/2016 at 10:06

Well done DT!

15/07/2016 at 16:59

Well done, DT...and no reason why you can't get the sub 19 tomorrow.

Race report here, also! Have not been going well since the nose op, and haven't run hard since mid May, even in training. Donned a number last night at the second Sale Sizzler and was pleased with the outcome: 21:39, for a WAVA of 75.4%. That will do for now, and am sure there will be more to come when I next race in four weeks. In the meantime need to knuckle down to a few weeks hard training. Sizzlers are every two weeks but in a fortnight I have promised to pace at around 24:30. Legs were fine this morning which is unusual for me post race. Breathing was the main issue last night for the first 3k; legs struggled a bit towards the end.

16/07/2016 at 11:54

Well done alehouse.

18.59 today. Pleased given I had two hard fought 10ks in my legs from previous 7 days. 

16/07/2016 at 14:06
Hello again everyone! Bit of a hiatus from me: got married and got a new job. Still been running but have been nursing various intermittent injuries - I think I'm guilty of pushing it a bit too far sometimes.

Dr Dan: well done on the triathlon! I've often thought about trying but I'm afraid I'd drown on the swim

PRF: best wishes with your recovery.

Alehouse: good running! Hope your training goes well.

DT: good stuff on the multiple PBs.

I've had a good week: 25 miles or so, which is the most I've ever managed I think. Ran 13 miles with a local club on Monday, which was fun.

Parkrun today in 18:35 - new PB and happy with that!

Now to try to get to 30 miles a week and hold it consistently. Targeting some fell races and a 10k towards the end of the year.
16/07/2016 at 14:06

Good work, DT! Now for 18:30. What were the WAVAs for your two PBs? are they in line?

16/07/2016 at 16:21

No, 5k is still very short. Think today was 71.91 and Wednesday was 72.69 I think. The difference is i don't feel I could have squeezed another drop out of today, whilst Wednesday I think I could have. 

16/07/2016 at 16:21

Nice going, Myox. You're coming along nicely. 

17/07/2016 at 20:17
Myox and DT ... great parkruns!!!

And another great 5k from Alehouse too!

No racing to report here ... 4x800m session on Friday and then 9.2 miles today, mostly easy but with 7:30 & 7:05 for miles 6-8. 30 miles for the week with another 70 on the bike ... week 2 of 16 done and feeling good.
Edited: 17/07/2016 at 20:18
17/07/2016 at 21:05

Just did 14 with 11 at hmp plus 30. I think the accumulation of 3vraces in previous 7 days and a fairly sweltering evening did me. Came out at 7.05 so I'm target thereabouts, but felt really trained last few miles as didn't take a drink out. 

18/07/2016 at 14:29

Afternoon all!

DT - what a successful few days you've had! Great stuff and I'm sure there will be more to come over the rest of the summer!

After a somewhat improved week a couple of weeks ago (getting to the giddy heights of 15 miles for the week lol) I have had a week off while away in the Isle of Wight. No running, and far too much food and drink consumed, but the island is surprisingly hilly and I reckon a week of pushing a pram around up those hills will have done me some good at least. My calves certainly got a workout anyway!!

Back on it this week ......

29/07/2016 at 09:54

Quiet here.

That was a great long run DT ... you deserved to feel drained!

Andrew - hope this week went well for you!

Last week for me was 32 miles bike plus:
A 6.3/13 mile run-0commute double on Tues evening/Wed morning (the two really hot days!). Fri was a 1200/1000/800/600/400m speed session. Sun - tempo. 7.1 with 5 miles at 7:07/m. 31 miles total.

This week - also 32 miles bike plus:
10/10 miles double on Tues & Wed ... no carbs since Mon evening, so aiming for improving fat usage. Plan today is 5 x 1000m at about 3:50ish... Sunday another tempo before setting off on holiday ...  should get to 31 miles again.

Off camping next week but will try to keep up the regime.

29/07/2016 at 10:59

Dan - I ' m on course for 20 miles this week, which would be the best in a long time. Hoping to get out for a run this evening, provided I still have the energy after a 5am wake up call from a poorly little girl. You seem to be going well 

How is everyone else getting on?

29/07/2016 at 11:36

Looks like a good block of training, Dan! Hope you can keep it going next week!

Consistency is the key AD! If you can keep getting 20 miles a week in you will see improvement down the line.

Sale Sizzler last night, but didn't do the planned pacing job as the athlete wasn't available, and wasn't feeling great (antibiotics for an ear infection which has affected my balance) so ran progressively for a fun workout with no-one passing me after the first 500: 4:52/4:45/4:40/4:30/4:20 for 23:07. Enjoyable! 

Day 727 of the current streak!

PRF: have sent you a message via RW!

29/07/2016 at 13:31

Great streaking Alehouse and well done on the progressive Sizzler.

Andrew - great news on the 20. Hopefully you're on the way back now.

The 5 x 1000m sesh turned into 7.6 miles with 6 x 1000m (av 3:58 per 1000m, so 6:21/m). Similar stats to the same session back in April when I ran 20:07 5K 3 days later... that was in week 15/16 of the HM plan ... so  I'll take that for week 4/16 of the marathon plan.

29/07/2016 at 16:26

Good session Dan! I would expect sub 20 off that, as long as the recoveries weren't too long! For four minutes running I always take 90 to 2 minutes slow jog recovery.

Just 20 mins, off road, wet, slippy today. May parkrun with one of my runners tomorrow. Or I may have a lie in!

02/08/2016 at 13:41

Hi all,

Ive been to lanzarote for 10 days, where I managed two short runs, along with lots of walking.

Back to it now though. I was due to have a minor procedure on Friday which would have put me out for 10 days however I arrived at the pre op this morning to flippantly be given a letter cancelling and giving a new date in mid September. Unfortunately a lot of planning has gone into me being laid up for over a week at work and at home and it's simply not possible to cancel it all and rearrange for 5 weeks time. So, the next earliest point I can get it done based on the next set of dates, is mid January!

On a plus point, I now have unhindered training until the end of October so can make something of the Autumn. I will just have to start my London training early enough to account for the time out in January. It may do me no harm at all.

I've managed to get free entry into the Robin hood half at end of September. It wasn't on the plan but it's 3 weeks from Manchester so could provide a good sighter for what I can get away with going out at in Manchester.

Until then I will just keep bashing my way through the schedule, albeit I now have a spare week as I had factored no training next week into the dates.

06/08/2016 at 07:20

Hi all - hope all is going well?

DT - hope you had a good time in Lanzarote. We went there a few years ago and found it very windy - would probably be a good place for running though. Sounds like a nightmare with the operation.

Dan, Alehouse - training sounds like it is going well. How long is the streak now Alehouse?

WP - how is the injury now?

As for me, 20 last week and 18 so far this week, so I'm getting back to it slowly. Did a really good run on Thursday where I felt like it was all 'clicking' for the first time in at least 3 months Need to start building in some sessions into my training next week to get my legs turning over again.

06/08/2016 at 18:49
Keep up that consistency, AD! My streak passed 2 years last week! Am on holiday in Switzerland and yes, I will run every day!
06/08/2016 at 22:17

2 years - incredible! 

28,201 to 28,220 of 28,357 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.