The Middle Ground

321 to 340 of 26,999 messages
12/05/2010 at 12:01
PRF, I'm only a recent convert too. I don't get them very often, but tend to schedule them in an important race week. I'll stick around now for events that offer them post race, it is a strange almost perverse feeling of pain and pleasure .
12/05/2010 at 12:01

Don't expect linear progress TD.  Sometimes you'll get worse, sometimes stay at the same level and then often leap forward all of sudden.  As we said before if you get smooth linear progress with no hiccups no doubt you can be training harder.

I only mustered up 3m @ 8:30 pace yesterday morning.

Edited: 12/05/2010 at 12:02
12/05/2010 at 12:07

Hahahaha I've been doing my easy runs at 10 mins/mile pace

Hmmm cant find any useful massage places near me that arent £50 or in Soho

Edit: wow this dude looks amazing:
http://www.robertofitness.com/index.html

Edited: 12/05/2010 at 12:14
12/05/2010 at 12:16
Moraghan wrote (see)

Don't expect linear progress TD.  Sometimes you'll get worse, sometimes stay at the same level and then often leap forward all of sudden.  As we said before if you get smooth linear progress with no hiccups no doubt you can be training harder.

You're right. I just like to see return from the training, that's all.

If I can do about 41:30 (which is 6:41/mile pace) just off of BT then I should hopefully improve quite well just by adding the harder stuff in again.
12/05/2010 at 14:04

Hilly absolutely agree running is as much about the mind as the body. Unfortunately my mind is saying its had enough of the winter, especially the wind! Glad you were rewarded with a satisfying session

Agree with others massage is fab, but worth shopping around. Just like everything there are some good and some not so good. Have also found there can be quite a big difference in prices too.

12/05/2010 at 17:11
The Duckinator wrote (see)
Moraghan wrote (see)

You're right. I just like to see return from the training, that's all.

I keep a log to keep my spirits high.  The point being I can see that a bad day is just a blip or two in overall progress.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/343542/Gallery/graph_of_log.JPG

See all those blips!!  The scale on the left is not important - the fact that the points are generally rising is!  Oh, the bottom scale is the date.  See if you can spot the lead up to Christmas...

12/05/2010 at 17:35

PRF - I have a few other 5ks lined up to do, plus a 3000m and a few 10ks in the next few months so plenty to gauge how the training has helped.

Very tired today, been on my feet for 4 hours and rather demanding classes - poor me  Hot bath I think later, oh and talking of massage I've not had a professional one for about a year now, so might be worth treating myself soon.  BR and I often do each others legs though and that seems to keep niggles at bay.  We also have the 'Stick', which is a handy gadget.  Might be worth looking into, Curly.  Like any gadget though it does have to be used to benefit from it and I have to admit to not being the best at following through using these things when legs are ok.  Not the point I'm sure as it would be much better to use them to prevent injury rather than waiting until there is an injury before using something.

12/05/2010 at 20:01

Bloody track was shut AGAIN today - which is fine because they've given me a schedule for the summer, except there's something on every day next week and it only says AM/PM/EVE so I dont even know where I might be able to fit a session in between - useless! 

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just Battersea track...

Anyway did 4 miles tempo in the park again and it was too fast again...had a bath now anyway and feel a bit better but defo need a massage this weekend. 

12/05/2010 at 21:15

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/242368/gallery/untitled.jpg?width=197&height=350&mode=max

This is my sport tracks graph of my average weekly pace since I started BT. As you can see, I haven't done much yet..

But going by feel today, it felt pretty good. I liken today's effort like changing into a high gear on a bike too soon - it took me a while to get going, but by the end of the mile I felt like I could have done another one without too much trouble. Obviously I'm gonna be very sluggish and slow after BT'ing it for so long, but with hindsight I reckon it's promising. 

12/05/2010 at 21:45
Curly - not had that problem with the track here, although there is sometimes 5 a-side football going on in the centre, which doesn't really stop people on the track, but can be annoying when the odd ball goes flying past. I think clubs and sometimes schools tend to use tracks a lot during summer. 
12/05/2010 at 23:04
The track I train on is a nightmare in summer.  I used to phone them in advance and was always told it was being used.  Now I just turn up and use it anyway - sometimes when I'm sure they would have turned my away if I'd phoned.
13/05/2010 at 07:38
Its a bit annoying tbh...there is half an hour between 5 and 5:30 that is always free by the looks of it so going to have to try and make that every time!

On progress grapghs these are my parkrun times since not long after I started going:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x28/becky_rtw/parkruntimes.png

So you can see that the general trend is downard, but conditions, courses and fitness all mean that it is far from linear!

13/05/2010 at 08:48
This is my sport tracks graph of my average weekly pace since I started BT. As you can see, I haven't done much yet..

TD - pace...  What do you use to tell you when to raise your training paces (over a period like your BT period)?

Hilly - what is the 'stick'??

13/05/2010 at 09:17
Ratzer - It's a massage stick.  Here's a link  http://running.about.com/od/shoesapparelandgear/gr/thestickreview.htm
13/05/2010 at 10:30
Not so sure I'd splash out that much for the 'stick' given that it would definitely be all my own work to use it.  Couldn't you thread a load of pingpong balls on a skewer?  However, if there were one going free for a trial run before purchase...  I think I'd be like you, Hilly, and it would gather dust until the day after I was injured!
13/05/2010 at 19:09

Re the track availability thing I dont seem to have any problems with club sessions, school sports days etc...... I wonder if its anything to do with it being 7am?

What I have found amusing, this week in particular, is walking through the gym past the rows of ipod zombies on the treadmills when there's a perfectly good empty track swathed in bright sunshine just yards away. Strange people.....

13/05/2010 at 19:41
Ratzer wrote (see)

TD - pace...  What do you use to tell you when to raise your training paces (over a period like your BT period)?

I'm running base by heart rate, and henceforth intensity. As I get aerobically fitter over time my paces will drop, while maintaining the same heart rate and intensity. I started off doing 8:40/mile roughly, and I'm now down to about 8:25/mile after 8 weeks.

Good news on the "me being suddenly slow" front - I've discovered the root cause. I normally eat something before I go to bed - weetabix/cornflakes, normally both - and the night before the two days I've been slow - Saturday and Tuesday - I was occupied attending events on the beach so I didn't get a chance to eat. As I run early in the day - about 9, 10am - it appears to be down to a lack of fuel. 

13/05/2010 at 20:48
I was occupied attending events on the beach so I didn't get a chance to eat.

Dare you say more??

I use HR too for the base period and now still for the base runs.  Now that I'm starting to put in the faster stuff I'm not wearing the HR for those sessions.  It will be interesting to note the impact on easy and recovery paces of the faster sessions - whether the increases I've seen over the base will remain, still rise but maybe more slowly, or even reduce!

13/05/2010 at 20:55

There you go then . I'm a total run data analysis freak myself, but sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

HMP session went well yesterday and had my massage today. Hamstrings and calfs very tight in a few places, but nothing in my ITB (stopped me running properly for 5 months last year), hurray! Feeling all nicely loosened up now, so I think baths rather than showers for the next couple of days, bit of work with the foam roller and maybe it'll give me a few seconds edge on Sunday - which I will be chuffed with if I end up at something like 1:39:56!

Fingers crossed I don't undo it all with 3+ hours in the car on Sat. That will be after a post parkrun carb loading session with popcorn at the cinema with the kids before we leave though . Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs - lucky me

13/05/2010 at 21:51
Ratzer wrote (see)
I was occupied attending events on the beach so I didn't get a chance to eat.

Dare you say more??

I use HR too for the base period and now still for the base runs.  Now that I'm starting to put in the faster stuff I'm not wearing the HR for those sessions.  It will be interesting to note the impact on easy and recovery paces of the faster sessions - whether the increases I've seen over the base will remain, still rise but maybe more slowly, or even reduce!

It was a beach party

While I'm running by HR for now, I won't be for the hard sessions (they'll be all effort based) - but I will be looking at the HR data purely out of interest. The easy aerobic stuff will all be effort and HR based to ensure I don't burn out - I'll run to either 70% or 75% MHR on those days. If I'm feeling unduly fatigued then I'll run to 70% MHR (which is about 9:15/mile pace for me right now) which is almost hard as I'm running so slow. 

I'm also interested to see how much my easy pace changes when I add the harder stuff in. I have no idea if it'll improve or not. I guess the only way to find out is to do it.

The one thing my physio has taught me to do is stretch properly. When she massages my quads and hamstrings, if I haven't stretched them it hurts like hell. I swear that woman's a sadist. 

321 to 340 of 26,999 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.