The Middle Ground

381 to 400 of 26,853 messages
14/05/2010 at 19:33

I'm sorry. Run / walk is for people without the moral backbone to run a running race.  Even in my darkest darkest moments in the final 6.2 miles of marathons (of which there have been plenty) I would not lower myself to walk in a running event.

Stopping in a training run for a regroup or toilet stop is something different.  That's a matter of politeness and necessity!

14/05/2010 at 19:46
I nearly always stop when I'm out running,  whether it's just to stop and take a leak or stretch a muscle. I've had to stop in races before (the most notable last December, an icy 10k where I totally underestimated the effect of ice and essentially tried to run a 10k at 5k effort), but no way would I walk in them. Slow down, sure, but not walk.
14/05/2010 at 19:55

Some interesting points made about walking in races and training.  I can see two sides here.  While I would never walk in a race, unless injured and needing to drop out, I can see how some find a run/walk strategy over a long distance such as ultra events a necessity at times. 

I would not advocate a run/walk strategy to a beginner, but then maybe that's because my pride wouldn't allow me to do that.  However, maybe it's a bit unfair to judge people who do take this approach to building up running.

During training I have no problem stopping to regroup etc.  I know I can do 20 milers without stopping when I need to so it really doesn't bother me stopping for a few secs when running with friends.

Curly - music has it's place, maybe not in a road race, but I don't see a problem in off road marathons.  BR has worn his MP3 in such races or if using a marathon as a training run.  Or is it ok if you're fast enough to not be interfering with other runners?  Also, with his experience in running I think he's well aware of what's around him in terms of safety etc.  I say live and let live  My Garmin I won in the South Downs marathon, so no expense there 

14/05/2010 at 20:09

Curly...I'm like you, I won't abide being beaten by people wearing headphones in a race...but I tend to find the faster types are way too serious to be so amateur and casual!

However, garmins?! I'd say 95% of the people at the front of fields wear them...so I think you'll have your work cut out there

14/05/2010 at 21:30
Stevie G - I don't think BR is casual!  Amateur then that's the majority of us seeing as we're not being paid!
14/05/2010 at 22:19

Jeff Galloway is the guy who ran 150 miles a week to get his best times.  No doubt he'd have you believe he'd be a world record holder if he learned about run / walk back then.

I wouldn't believe a thing the guy says.

14/05/2010 at 22:24

By the way.  I posted on the Q & A thread but my post has been deleted.

I didn't think my post warranted that. (I merely pointed out that it sounds like she'd got her material from a personal training course (which she has) and she managed to perpetuate every single running myth there is in just 8 posts (which she does)).

Her advice is very poor in that thread and it bothers me to see beginners walking away thinking that's gospel.  It looks like the Asics threads will be 'sponsor-friendly'.  Next time I'll ask them something like "can you tell us why your shoes are so damn comfortable?".  FFS.

Edited: 14/05/2010 at 22:29
14/05/2010 at 22:35

Haha, you troublemaker!

Its what I've come to expect now though, it ends up with the blind leading the blind in the name of making everything easy and 'fun'.

Its no coincidence that the number of runners hobbling along with a whole variety of bandages and supports has rocketed in recent years and will continue to do so.

Remember next time....only fluffy and supportive comments please!!!

14/05/2010 at 22:47

Sorry boss!

I feel as though there is a basic level of educational responsibility that should be mandatory.  It's hard to just watch sometimes.

14/05/2010 at 23:24

I can't believe that Moraghan! Surely they should take advice from someone who knows what he's talking about. 

Like you said prf - they're trying to make it sound like you can run decent race times from nothing just by the "magic" intervals. What they don't seem to understand is that running is a long-term commitment and can't be rushed. 

The problem is that those asking questions in the thread see a brand name and assume they (in this case, that woman) know everything there is to know. When they're all injured and asking for advice, hopeully then humble pie will be eaten. Too late, for the unfortunate injured. 

Edit: I've just had a careful readthrough of her responses, and quite frankly they're shite.

Edited: 14/05/2010 at 23:44
15/05/2010 at 07:33

Amazed and disappointed that your post was deleted Moraghan. I feel quite sad that RW felt it was necessary to take that kind of action.

When I was new to running I stumbled upon Mike Grattons Hard Training Thread so just picked up the training principles and work ethic on there. I did not break down or get injured (even after a long period of inactivity after having my kids) and I was never under any illusion of the commitment and work ethic running requires even at my level.

I also feel rather sad that my knee/quad is all bruised today after physio yesterday, which is going to look particularly attractive in the short dress I am wearing for my nephews wedding!

Edited: 15/05/2010 at 08:15
15/05/2010 at 08:22

I'm afraid that people get quite offended easily about their training and rather than ask questions they go crying to RW to have the post removed - sad really!

I've got another stinking cold and sore throat, but as it's above the chest I'll continue training as normal.  I only did a short run yesterday, but a few glasses of red wine last night has refuelled the energy

15/05/2010 at 08:39

I've had posts removed for asking challenging questions.  Blackpool Marathon threads spring to mind...

The most offensive thing I read on that thread was the repeated insistence on buying expensive shoes and the lie `the more you spend the less you'll get injured'.  In my 11 years running experience the opposite is true.  I have about 30 pairs of trainers which have seen long service and I only buy one new pair a year - typically New Balance 130s or other super flat ones.

There is more research coming out about how expensive cushioned trainers encouraging people to run with an unnatural style, causing injury.  This is something I and others have known for years from personal experience.

I've had 1 injury which stopped me running in the last 10 years - that was caused by overtraining rather than footwear so the proof of the pudding...

15/05/2010 at 12:29

I agree that 'less is more' in terms of running shoes, we weren't born with anything on our feet so all this cushioning is simply unnatural.

The Olympic Marathon has been won barefooted and Zola Budd was not too shabby despite not using shoes.

I bet if I'd posted that on the Asics thread it wouldnt have lasted long!

Is this thread full of rebels by any chance?

Nice to meet Kaysdee at the parkrun this morning - good luck at Chester tomorrow!

15/05/2010 at 13:21
parkrunfan wrote (see)
Is this thread full of rebels by any chance?
I'm 19. Of COURSE I'm a rebel
15/05/2010 at 22:17
Question related to the topic. How much of a taper do you recommend for a 10k? I'm giving myself a week currently before my main race, or should I cut back perhaps 10 days prior?
15/05/2010 at 22:31

TD - I posted my training for 6 weeks leading to my 10K PB on the 'Sub 34 10K' thread the other day if you want to have a look at it.

The main point relating to your question is that in the last week I did full mileage and 2 interval sessions (6 days out and 4 days out). The last week looked like this:

Mon 10K Steady(am), 4x400m (1 min) (pm)

Tues 10K Steady

Weds 10K Steady(am), 4x1000m (2 mins) (pm)

Thurs 3 Miles Steady(am), 10 Miles Steady(pm)

Fri Rest day

Sat 3 Miles Steady

Sun 10K PB

I think the main danger with 10Ks is actually over tapering. As always, attempt to keep the intensity but reduce the volume of the quality work during the taper to bring yourself to a peak......

15/05/2010 at 22:51

Thanks prf. Currently, I'm planning on running a full week's mileage the final non-week taper, then cutting down majorly during the race week itself. VO2 max intervals on the Tuesday and 10k pace on the Thursday, then 2 total rest days before the race. And obviously reduced easy mileage in between the sessions.

What would you recommend as volume of the hard sessions, about 50%? Or more/less?

16/05/2010 at 08:08

Which parkrun did you do and how did you get on PRF?

Off for a long run here.  Really looking forward to it too and surprisingly no aches on walking after track session yesterday.

16/05/2010 at 08:33

It was Newcastle, Hilly.

A bit windy with cows everywhere but a nice fast course, not quite as fast as Hull but not bad.

I managed 4th in18:19, which I was pleased with because it came at the end of a period of 7 quality sessions in 12 days (2 intervals, 2 MP 10Ks, 3 races). Curly came 5th in 22:26, which was just a few seconds off pb.

Good luck on the long run, you know you're getting pretty fit when you can brush track sessions off with little or no soreness. We'll be going out soon to try to squeeze in something like 17 miles before the Monaco GP starts.

381 to 400 of 26,853 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.