The Middle Ground

12,421 to 12,440 of 27,137 messages
26/09/2011 at 21:18

I might do that one day....and bring along a personal pace maker who is polite enough to keep a perfect 16.59 pace going, and then drop out at the end to let me win it

Weird evening tonight, checking a few runners I know or have come to my attention, they all seem to be 31min 10k runners, as if that's some kind of standard pace for people to get to!

26/09/2011 at 21:31

There were more than 14 that day, but most of them only do 1-2 laps - its very much a introductory one that one, its kind of weird because Grovelands is quite big now but Pymmes has never really taken off, I don't think Valentines has either tbh...

26/09/2011 at 21:37

And yet Valentines is a really good course as well!

Still on the subject of parkruns, are you likely to be around for Kings Lynn in a couple of weeks time Mr Dash? I have it on good authority that the locals are actually quite pleasant!

26/09/2011 at 21:38
i know a new parkrun that's going to be massive...;)
26/09/2011 at 21:40

Fill us in then!!

Anyone know which is the new one starting on 8th? I'm kind of sad I cant be at Bushy for the 7th year on Saturday as I am racing No cake for me! 

26/09/2011 at 21:45
I do believe the one starting on the 8th is Aberdeen
26/09/2011 at 22:05
some clues: it's frequented by webbed-footed people with large foreheads and their extended family/conquests, long-haired, tattooed, reluctant dog-groomers and the occasional visiting loony from the big city....
26/09/2011 at 22:07
DASH RIPROD wrote (see)
some clues: it's frequented by webbed-footed people with large foreheads and their extended family/conquests, long-haired, tattooed, reluctant dog-groomers and the occasional visiting loony from the big city...

I was wondering about sales of vibrams in Norfolk...bet they arent very popular there.
26/09/2011 at 22:22
"I was wondering about sales of vibrams in Norfolk...bet they arent very popular there."

ha ha. probably not but marrying your cousin seems to be!

26/09/2011 at 22:24
Curly - You're racing at 8am! Thats no excuse not to partake in a 9am parkrun!!
26/09/2011 at 22:25
Why, has Curly's cousin got married a lot, then?
26/09/2011 at 22:38
Does anyone have any advice for coping with depression during injury?  I am just feeling really down all the time and constantly worrying about when - and even if - I will ever run again   I am also really worried about weight gain.  I have put on probably 2 stone now and have found myself comfort eating.  Although I am not fat, as I was very underweight to begin with, I am worried this is just making my fitness even harder to get back.
26/09/2011 at 22:48

Josh, honestly, if you believe you are depressed, visit your doctor.

If you are feeling down, demotivated, whatever, then try to find something alternate to do.  With an achilles injury I took up swimming first and then cycling, as well as going to the gym.  Just not running.

You know you will run again.  The fact that you're not running is positive, as it means that one day you will run healed.

26/09/2011 at 23:09

Yet again life took hold  this month and the running stopped just stuff going on Hoping i am back this time so  please if you notice i've not run on FB or else where give me a push

may regret saying that. The stress isn't over yet but  i know the road to take - its just getting there.

So yesterday i ran first in 21 days so rather than a gentle 2 or 3 miler i go and do 6 an hour for me. Feel ok today apart from the old quads 2 miler today recovery both without watch call it old school if you like i know the distances of my routes even where the mile markers are done them many times before

Not done Valentines yet but will get there one day

Josh agree  with Ratzer (noticed you've gone back to your shortened name) but any idea why you feel this way is there a noticeable reason and can that be fixed

27/09/2011 at 06:31

Of our 6 man relay team on Saturday:-

I had run a parkrun in 17:53 that morning and raced 5k on Thursday evening.

Another guy had won Barnsley parkrun in 18:2x (equivalent of 17:2x on the flat which would be flat out for him) having done two HMs on the previous weekends.

Another guy had paced someone round at Barnsley in 19:xx (equivalent to my controlled hard run)

Another had led a club track session on the Friday evening to bring on other people in the club and had run a HM pb the previous Sunday

No agonising about training paces, running too fast, too slow, whether the planets are in the right alignment etc etc...  And all four of us enjoyed the weekend immensely as we got far more out of the experiences than had we just done the relay as a big goal event.

Josh - is it correct that you `could' run, just not at the pace you think you need to?  If so I would forget waiting on the NHS to fix your woes and go out and run little, often and slowly.  In the long term that is the only way to injury proof yourself.  There's been loads of examples around here of people running at pre-set paces and ending up on the injury bench.  Run to well inside what your body will allow on the day.  If not, as has been said, find an alternative to focus your energies on - the Compact rower, cycling etc.

Re. a spread of abilities, our club runs range from 33 min 10k runners through to 44 min ones.  And we all enjoy it thoroughly and find it satisfying.  It's not all about surges of testosterone to grind each other into the ground (although I must admit I do enjoy those type of runs sometimes).

27/09/2011 at 06:32

Stevie - there's a guy at our club who runs 32 mins for 10k and has no worry running at the back with runners who don't break 50 mins for 10k.  He uses one of the club run days to be social and just get a very, very easy relaxed recovery run in.  He does his harder running on his own.  You don't have to be the same pace to enjoy a run together.  In fact I think most people I know will run with slower runners at times.  It's complete running snobbery/elitism to think that the guy won't enjoy being at a club where the fastest person is 41 mins!

Nice work at the gym btw!  I used to do that kind of gym work and found it really helped to strengthen my legs.  Got a little bit lazy over the last couple of years though, but have started to do single leg squats twice a day as easy to fit in to normal daily life.

27/09/2011 at 06:33
Btw, I felt very very tired and heavy legged last night and could barely run 8:30 pace but that's a price I'm willing to pay for the experiences I've had over the last few days.  Not a bad trade-off
27/09/2011 at 07:59

BR - I think the problem is that in this neck of the woods that we're all a bit hard of hearing. When someone says that its time to 'do a taper' we actually hear 'do a Tupper'!

Talking of which, since Ron Hill has been mentioned a bit lately, he was very much inspired by the antics of Alf Tupper. Ron's proudest moment came when in one edition Alf went to the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh and won the marathon, a race which was actually won by Ron.

Theres your trivial trivia for the day.

27/09/2011 at 08:25
Lol PRF
27/09/2011 at 08:35
Is it worth dieting to do a bit of weight loss or should I just wait until I am fit enough to train, during which I will be burning off fat?
12,421 to 12,440 of 27,137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.