Thursday 19th December 2013

14 messages
19/12/2013 at 06:56

Morning!

Lyrics are:
Every body Pauses and stares at me

Especially for Blisters! Are the teeth sorted?

What: 30 mins or so, providing I survive the dentist
Why: getting back into it

Last day at work in Jan 7th!

Edited: 19/12/2013 at 06:58
19/12/2013 at 06:59

Morning.

Alehouse beat me in a sprint finish

Yesterday's lyrics were Must Be Santa by Bob Dylan.

Is today the first of a long xmas break Blisters? I didn't enter Portsmouth to aim for a PB so my enthusiasm for running it remains regardless - not sure quite how much that will hold true early on Sunday morning if I'm stood shivering in a gale mind

Gobi - none of us knows how long we have or what the future holds - may as well enjoy what we have now as best we can. Hope you survived the roller hockey unharmed.

Stickless - will the semi retirement give you more time and energy for the things you want to do?

What:                short run with some efforts
Why:                 it's getting closer
Last hard:         keeping my weight down whilst tapering at this time of year
Last rest:          9/12

19/12/2013 at 07:22

Morning

Blowing a gale up her at the moment !

19/12/2013 at 07:39

morning all,
Good luck with the come back trail Gobi, and if I don't mention it later, good luck at Pompey LmH.
Have to say a bit jealous of those on extended holiday more so the ability to run in daylight. Had yesterday off and NYE to use up my last 2 days. Tried to tidy the garden up a bit yesterday so postponed a run until the evening (while youngest was swimming). By then though rain was sideways, winds were howling and my enthusiasm had waned...
what - run at lunchtime
why - trying to get back to where I was
last rest - yesterday
last hard - ages ago

lyric - possibly.    

19/12/2013 at 08:45

What; 20mins earlier

Why: Blowing a gale. Well strong winds anyway.

Off to deliver Christmas cards soon.

Need to catch up.

19/12/2013 at 09:11

Morning all,

Bright sunny morning these parts, no doubt our turn will come to endure sideways rain.

Blisters - teeth? oh dear.  Just signed off on one troublesome tooth, agreed with wonderful old dentist that best leave sleeping teeth lie.  The "temporary" filling (while waiting to sort out whether jaw pain was some sort of inflammation related to tooth or just part of nerves being weird before crowing the poor thing) has been less troublesome and more permanent than many so-called permanent fillings.  The young new dentist I think just wanted business.

Me? Did 3m.  Difficult to get going, but ok once started. The programme is to try and get four runs in each week, one shortish but with faster intervals, one stairs, and one longer run, with perhaps 20 fast strides every couple of minutes. The fourth run is free choice, if it happens.  I don't know why, but my legs seem to get bored and freeze up if I try and run slow and steady.  Not going to worry about how far for now, never going to worry about how fast.

Hip not noticeably worse.  Slept well again.  I feel better than human, I feel almost like a runner again!

Edited: 19/12/2013 at 09:13
19/12/2013 at 11:16

morning all

another dire evening down the Lane

stickless that's a good plan I like a lot

we also have a long break at Christmas - looking forward to it

lmh, good luck and cannot wait to hear how you get on

alehouse hope all goes well with the dentist

what: don't know

why: back

last hard: club short sharp race Tuesday evening seemed to loosen back but today it feels like sciatica

last easy: lots

not a happy bunny on many fronts today

have a good day peeps

19/12/2013 at 11:27
I'm alive. Game was great even though we lost. Lots of good memories and old friends.

Lmh. Best way to describe ankle I am 43 ankle is 83.

What: 75 mins in the bike at 0515
Run
Why: hardcore
Last hard: last night
Last rest: Oct 14
Lyrics: no
19/12/2013 at 12:47

Nice run today. 7.27 miles with plenty of effort on all the hilly sections.  Hills really hurt me in races and I know I have to work on my strength for getting to the top without being overtaken! Took about 54:30 today, decent pace.

Lyrics, nope. 

19/12/2013 at 16:39
Gobi wrote (see)
Chicka - not really a recovery. My issue is permanent hence the retirement. It is just how much I can tolerate before I am in too much pain. Currently I am keeping the load light enough that I have no issues but I have to remember that every stride is probably getting me a limp or surgery later in life.

Sometimes you just think, " what the hell " :??)

Yeah what the hell indeed ...  spinal injury brought me down to earth with a resounding bump in September. I'm just so glad that I found a brilliant neurosurgeon who has me pain-free and running. But even he cannot guarantee it'll stay like that. So I wake up paranoid each morning. Paranoia then turns into relief if nothing hurts. I may be lucky and it may never hurt again but there's just no guarantee.

Wabo: bummer ....  be careful. Backs can turn nasty in no time. Perhaps time for an MRI?

don: great hill running

what: 3 easy miles
why: recovery run and it's a cutback week
last hard: hills yesterday
last rest: Monday
lyrics: no

19/12/2013 at 17:47

What: now just getting back into cairnryan (Flat crossing) 2 laps of Musgrave park this morning with light snow, then Conor's cafe with all the girls.

why: day after the wedding 

last hard: wedding ("giving away") speech yesterday

good hill work donaldo

hope dental work went ok alehouse

Hope back settles wabo

19/12/2013 at 18:17

Hi all, Quick pop in,

very busy here, sneaked in 6.09m at lunch over 45 mins out easy hard back

Hope all are well

Take care

19/12/2013 at 20:43

Nothing today - circumstances prohibited it.

I did however take possession of a nice shiny new machine with two wheels and some pedals. Had to get a pair of shoes as changing pedal type - I'll now be one of those fellas with the shoes left on the bike!!. They talked me into a different saddle too! Its a TT saddle - weird looking thing but very comfortable compared to the one that came with it. Mrs PM looking strange at me with my new bike and a spare saddle in a bag!!

LMH - did you know that you can get the drink thing that's gets concealed in the frame (they call it the Fuelselage) in larger sizes up to 1l.

Edited: 19/12/2013 at 20:44
Blisters    pirate
19/12/2013 at 23:24

Lyrics, yes, very good. The dentist is on holiday over Christmas, so I’m booked to see him to finish off the job 3rd January or something. Meanwhile I have been told not to use my temporary crown to open any beer bottles.

Stickless was temporarily absent at the start of November. For her information I came off my bike on a wet day, straight over and face planted the road at a good cruise pace. My jaw took the hit, but a tooth went through my top lip and smashed in half. I am amazed at the ability of the human body to restore itself, although the tooth has needed engineering.
I’m glad to hear that you are on the comeback trail again.

Chick, of all the runners injuries, sciatic back is the one that is the most frustrating. External help is the only way, I’ve found.

For me, today was a “use it or lose it” holiday. Bounced around the diary and deferred to suit business arrangements. A bit late in the month for shopping. Plan was: a nice medium/long run, make mince pies, marzipan cake, carol singing, afternoon swim, and all sorts of the usual stuff.
The run was chosen as a 16 miler, with bale out option at 13. Shockingly, my calf seized up at mile 10 exactly. So I had to walk/limp home. I may have squeaked another mile in bits and pieces. All other tasks done, and the swim was just about ok too. 42 min for 64 lengths mile. Not Paddy, but he’s tough.

Paddy, it sounds like you want to go and play on your Christmas present. Well you can't have it just yet!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.