Thursday 25th October 2012

21 to 29 of 29 messages
25/10/2012 at 15:30

Bugger ... had typed a long post and then our internet at work crashed

alehouse: sounds all a bit horrifying . Hope things are starting to improve soon.

LMH: enjoy that final day of rest

NN: I second that. If I can avoid speedwork, I will . P&D schedules are great. And they work.

what: been lazy so far
why: cold & raining *shiver* -- hope it's improving by the time I go home!
last hard: yesterday
last rest: Tuesday
lyrics: no, although I will probably kick myself tomorrow!

25/10/2012 at 16:22

Alehouse - no temperature is good. Shame about the tests, do you have a new date.

OH - hope the weather improves for JS.

GGG and HH - as for who wouldn't want to? Me - 5k's hurt!

GGG - hope you find something swiftly - must be a difficult way to live or are your contracts sometimes longer?

DD - when is the marathon?

NN - you just say yay or nay, the OP reveals the lyrics later or the next day. Don't think I could tolerate that kind of mileage without breaking.

Tom - take it easy and get over it quickly.

Dustin - hope it comes to nothing.

I'm feeling very tired but my jab is due on Tuesday and it's week 5 of my full time hours which I'm not used to and is bound to be having a bit of an effect - there is a reason I don't usually work full time and that's because I get too tired. It's not rocket science as TR would say. No end in sight currently but should hopefully know when the new incumbent will be in post within the next two weeks.

25/10/2012 at 16:43

LMH: appointment is 2 weeks today. One relatively good bit of news is that I got the latest PSA result, which is down to 5.4 from 7.2 (although I was told today it should be around 3 for my age).

Re short term contracts, my son is suffering the same with the BBC: he is on a rolling 3 month contract, with the next one finishing at Christmas...last time he didn't find out until 10 days before that they still wanted him, which presents lots of problems, particularly with accommodation. Which reminds me (Birming ham connection) where is MadameO?!

A shame that I am now effectively self-employed (plus my pension!): no sick pay!!

25/10/2012 at 17:39

Alehouse I would definitely take the significant PSA fall as a good omen

25/10/2012 at 17:45

OH knows what he's talking about Alehouse - that is indeed good news.

Enjoy JS OH.

25/10/2012 at 18:08

Morning - oops evening i mean

Was working all last night breakfast with a work chum after then bed had a decent sleep well as decent as you can get following after a night shift

No running yep my streak is over (153 days) my choice i'm ok

Alehouse sorry to hear you are still in the wars hope things improve which no doubt you wish too
Must be stresssfulv re your son about work contracts

Alehouse and Tom possibly any of you know/hear of Ken Batty  (elder brother of Mel) he died recently was in the local paper He was one of the founder members of the local club and least once raced against Zatopek. He was 84

25/10/2012 at 20:43

Busy on here today.

Nah I prefer to long on then have my caffine.

LMH: The gritters were out about an hour ago gritting teh roads up here.

More to catch up on.

Blisters    pirate
25/10/2012 at 21:41

Hello you lot!
I don’t tend to advertise on the internet that I’m going on holiday. It might be paranoia, but I feel that it rather asks for the house to be burgled. Imagine my shock and horror when we get back home to see an A4 sign in my small daughter’s window to say “I am on holiday and will be back on 25th October”. Words were exchanged. Thankfully there had been no attempt on the house this time.

Sicily has been enjoying the last throes of summer warmth, and temperatures reached 26 or so. We ate outside every evening, and more to the point did lots of outside stuff. Swimming in the outdoor pool was OK, not quite hypothermic, but a mile at a time was enough. I did go into the sea, which was lovely, right until I felt something brush my chest and then OUCH! Fackin’ jelly fish. I now sport a very bright red tattoo mark that is like a potato print of a jelly fish on my arm. A coldish pool was more inviting after that.  

According to my Garmin, the hotel was at 560ft. The sea, (obviously) was at 0ft, and when I ran up the hill I made 1350ft. The run to the sea was 1 mile. Up the hill was a zigzag total of 6 miles round trip. It appears that the leg strength is OK, no idea about endurance or speed!

Physio visit after I got home, and guess what? I’m older, tighter, and have been doing odd stuff like swimming.

Brain dump completed, now I’ll try and find out what’s been going on.

25/10/2012 at 23:37
Blisters thanks for sharing your head with us. I had a similar experience on Corsica several years ago..."The only way is up"

Alehouse: sorry that your frustrations continue, but its promising that your PSA result is dropped. I doubt I've got much more than a heavy cold - I had a reasonably doable club session tonight - kept the efforts relaxed and ran the recoveries a bit quicker than usual. Session was followed a hot both and a couple of Whiskeys and dry ginger. Fortunately, as a casual accountant, my standard fee for completing a year end self assessment tax return is ??20 + a bottle of whiskey.

Pammie: I didn't know of Ken Batty. The most prominent of Mel Batty's contemporaries from that area and time was the Chelmsford AC's cross country international Brian Hill-Cottingham.

Sensible club session tonight. Riddled with the cold

This weekend is our club's annual road race, the Fenland 10 (miles), your typical flat fast fenland course. Gobi got a second place in it back in 2008, so it's well worth a punt if you happen to be in the Wisbech area of a Sunday.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.